1961 Lonestar Flamingo - SPLASHED w/Pics

reorod

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: 1962 Lonestar "Flamingo" - I finally Started w/pics

Great boat! When I joined i-boats I was working on a starcraft chieftain but it was a sub for what I couldnt find until just recently. I also thought that aluminum of another manufacture would bother the strong starcraft croud. However here is my 18ft Lonestar Eldorado:
http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd15/46cabover/3na3kf3oa5Y15Q45W6a4e02ba94abc8c91ea7jpg6.jpg
http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd15/46cabover/3n63oa3le5V65S45R5a4e1ecbb737668a19cb.jpg

http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd15/46cabover/3n33o93lf5T35Z35S4a4e02701f0e50a61ed5.jpg

http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd15/46cabover/forweb.jpg

m_87

Petty Officer 3rd Class

wish thats how my transom and deck looked. but then again i have been enjoying working on it so far. keep up the work.

BobsGlasstream

Commander

Woodonglass,
Looks like you are doing some mighty fine work on that there boat.:p
I love the old hardware on vintage boats. You can't match the quality either. I would also opt for the new gages if I was you.
Keep up the great work
Take care
Bob

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Just caught up on your build, not sure how I missed it. Great boat and in great shape. Your very lucky about the transom for sure. That will save you a lot of heartache. And that aluminum trim is off the hook. Very nice. I usually take the easy route....if it don't shine, paint it black. lol. I'll be watching this one for sure. Good luck.

TC, Yeah I lucked out on her for sure. The Jewelers rouge is really shining her up.

Hey Wood. Thanks for the mention in your post. My Dad and I have been busy with the Red Fish. My Dad has put a lot of time and effort into the making and sewing of the seats. Neither of us have ever done it before. He had some concerns about it, but I told him that the worst it can cost us is the price to replace the vinyl if we screw it up. But glad to say that so far so good. My boat unlike yours had bench seats in it originally so we were stuck with that. My best advice... if you take the seats on... slow and steady wins the race. We've got the front bench done, short of a couple of loose ends... the back bench may be tackled this weekend. I ordered the foam from ebay, the vinyl from Joanne's online. Good luck with the rest of your restore. It's looking great.

Still haven't decided on what to do about the interior, but I have all winter to decide. Good luck with yours. Post some more pics as you progress.

Wood,
Looking GREAT bud. Sorry it took so long to post. Been really hectic lately and haphazard posting doesn't help. Thanks for the kind words on my resto project. It's almost done. I have to post some more pics. Great bone structure to work with on your boat. I should mention I use to live in Edmond from '94-'97 when I was flying with VQ-4 at Tinker AFB.

Can't wait to see your finished product! Great info on the aluminum. I have a couple of braces I'm making for the throttle board on my boat and I'm going to use aluminum brackets to tie the board to the bench seat an gunwale. That's how it was when i got it from dad. Original board was fir and I'm using Mahognay. I want to polish them up so they look factory so to speak. Thanks for that info.

Been working on the splashwell and she is really starting to shine. Will try and post some pics tomorrow.

Bob

Great boat! When I joined i-boats I was working on a starcraft chieftain but it was a sub for what I couldnt find until just recently. I also thought that aluminum of another manufacture would bother the strong starcraft croud. However here is my 18ft Lonestar Eldorado:
http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd15/46cabover/3na3kf3oa5Y15Q45W6a4e02ba94abc8c91ea7jpg6.jpg
http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd15/46cabover/3n63oa3le5V65S45R5a4e1ecbb737668a19cb.jpg

http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd15/46cabover/3n33o93lf5T35Z35S4a4e02701f0e50a61ed5.jpg

http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd15/46cabover/forweb.jpg

wish thats how my transom and deck looked. but then again i have been enjoying working on it so far. keep up the work.

Yeah I lucked out on the transom for sure.

Woodonglass,
Looks like you are doing some mighty fine work on that there boat.:p
I love the old hardware on vintage boats. You can't match the quality either. I would also opt for the new gages if I was you.
Keep up the great work
Take care
Bob

Thanks Bob, Been tryin to get everything else done so I can get the FUN stuff going on the boat. The aluminum is really coming out great. Hope to post some more pics tomorrow. Thanks for the encouragement

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Spent about an hour this morning polishing on the splashwell. Got the bottom and part of the top completed. Pretty pleased with the results.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Gunna wet sand with 1000 grit and then re-polish with the White jewelers paste. this was done with 600 grit and the red paste. Takes some time and patience but when you're and old fart like me it seems you develop more patience.

I'm just sayin...:D

Attachments

• SplashwellBottom.jpg
    SplashwellBottom.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 3
  • SplashwellCornerTop.jpg
    SplashwellCornerTop.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 3
  • SplashwellWeld.jpg
    SplashwellWeld.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 3

BobsGlasstream

Commander

Woodonglass,
Looks like pretty good work to me. Hey I noticed too that you keep referring to yourself as an old fart, and I just want you to know that I resemble that remark.:p
It does seem that as we age we become more Patience for somethings and less for others. Go figure. :p:D
The splashwell is looking good.
Take care
Bob

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Well BOB, I AM only speaking for MYSELF!!! I know YOU are a Young Whippersnapper and have NO resemblance to me at all. I am that Old horse that has been Rode Hard and been Put away wet doncha Know, but thanks for the encouragement.

fat fanny

Lieutenant Commander

Wood I have machined aluminum class D truck wheels for 20 yrs and have had to rework them @ times we also polished them to a chrome like shine and I have found that when trying to bring back the $300,00 shine (whay we charged per wheel) that scothc brite was the prefect imperfection revealer of where too much sanding took place causing divets and vallies, also when sanding mix up a paste type substance with hand soap and warm water to the consistancy of a pasty glue and it worked great as a lubricant and light polish before buffing.

mthuirer

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I agree with BobsGlasstream... Looking good. Looks like you found some free time to work on it again.. I wish I could be home working (playing) myself on my project. Instead I'm stuck in the station again doing a 72 hr shift.. :(

If you do the soap method ("also when sanding mix up a paste type substance with hand soap and warm water to the consistancy of a pasty glue and it worked great as a lubricant and light polish before buffing.")

let us know how it works..

:)

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Thanks fat fanny, as soon as my Oklahoma State Cowboys whup up on their opponents this evening I'll give your formula a try. THANKS for the TIP!!!!

Hey MT sorry to hear your stuck at the station. You'll be back on the boat in no time I betcha...

60Clipper

Seaman

Wood,
That's looking GREAT. I used your method on my throttle board brackets and they came out great. Thanks again.

Can't wait to see the rest of your boat done.
Bob

BobsGlasstream

Commander

Well BOB, I AM only speaking for MYSELF!!! I know YOU are a Young Whippersnapper and have NO resemblance to me at all. I am that Old horse that has been Rode Hard and been Put away wet doncha Know, but thanks for the encouragement.
LOL ....Woodonglass,
I wish, my clock is winding down too my friend. I tell everyone I have a lot more years behind me then I do in front. My youngest child will be 33 this year, My oldest will be 36. That should give you an idea of my age without me saying it. I have three GK's myself.
Take care
Bob

fat fanny

Lieutenant Commander

Wood one more thing on aluminum that heat is your enemy when sanding and or buffing it has to stay cool and water alone is not the solution it has to mixed with a lubicant I wish I could remember the name of substance we used for the soap but I more than offten used GOJO mixed with water more times then I could count 1to 3 ratio even just white GOJO work ok but would build up thats why the water worked ok small portions of wd40 and GOJO with pumice 1 tblsn to 1tspn for small areas. As stated before the scothc brite worked wonders in more ways than one on aluminum (the memoriy is coming back now) if you have a high enough rpm and the aluminum is built up on the pad scotch brite will sine aluminum up to a chrome finish for example when you see a frieghtliner truck with the wheels with thier insignia triangle shape on a slant and thiere shinning like chrome sctthc brite did that we'd spin them and hole the pad against them and the more the build up on the pad the better the shine but for this purpose a rotary drill adaptor will work? and follow up with a cotton buffing pad and some buffing compound (remember the heat issue) I hope this helped and it was theroputic for me because this knowledge has been locked in my head for over 10 yrs after being terminated from a job of over 20 yrs that I loved by some HR person that knew nothing of the shop and buisness I helped build. Good luck!!!!!1

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Hey Fat Fanny,
Gunna give it a try in the mornin. sorry to hear about your job. Been there and done that and it ain't no fun. Hope things turn for the good for you. I have notice that heat is your enemy and also that the more build up of aluminum the better the shine that is weird but true. I will post some pics tomorrow. Thanks for all your help.

fat fanny

Lieutenant Commander

Yea I got over it it hasbeen almost 8 years now and starting from scratch sucks but I have little ones yet and a 23 yr old I couldn't sent to colledge but life goes on. The build up thing is wierd and is hard to believe but the older the better we used to be able to dee the color of our ees in those wheels and alcoa could never figure out how we did it and still can't and now the company I was at terminatd everyone that did and are struggling for that finish spending millions when we did it with a common house hold cleanning pad and some american enginuity. I guess we get the last laugh. I do miss the 70K ayr though.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral

My .02 on the upholstery, really they are not that hard to do, you already have the patterns, even if they are ripped and taped up, I did this in my last boat and actually won an award for upholstery at one of the local boat shows, so with a bit of patience and a bit of time, it can be done pretty easy. The last one I did, was a 1962 sea swirl, and it ended up bikini blue, and the interior was bikini blue vinyl tuck, looked like a white and blue candy stripe with white piping on the edges, I was quite pleased with it.

The new boat I picked up a couple of weeks ago, will go back to original color, right now it is pea green, but you can see it was originally blue, the PO had put in a board with two swival seats, but I will go back to the original style walk through bench and will again, do a white/blue with white piping, so should turn out good.

I will get some pictures posted when I start.

Your boat is looking great, I can wait to see the finished product, especially the splash in!

Keep up the good work!

Dave

PS, know the old fart feeling, heck my grandson graduates from High School in June! Where in the heck did the time go!!!! :eek:

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

I been thinking of making bench seats like shown in this pic from an original ad of the boat. I would make the Dark areas a Bikini Blue and use a Bikini Blue piping for the white. I really like the Bench Seat Look better than the back to back seats. I guess we'll see how the winter goes and if I can find a cheap sewing machine and if I can even Sew a lick!!!!

Last edited:

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral

No worried Mon',

You can do it, we all have the skill, it just comes down to, do we have the patience and at our age, patience is one of the great things we got going for us, cause I know, I sure as heck can't win the race anymore, but I sure enjoy the finish a lot more...

Remember the story about the old bull and the young bull on the top of the hill!:D

mthuirer

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Just a thought... Maybe you can find someone around town who is willing to do it for you for small price.. For example.... I know few retired individuals in my town that do sewing for us in the department (lol... mom) with right sewing machines... someone to work for extra money.. maybe someone in your town would be interested in helping you out without purchasing a sewing machine that you may never use again..:D just a suggestion... they are out there...

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

GREAT IDEA!!!! I will start asking around at work and see if I can find someone that knows someone that knows someone. Thanks MT. I'll keep you posted.