1958 Lone Star Nassau Restore Underway

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yamikaze

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: 1958 Lone Star Nassau Restore Underway

I spent the day blasting the hull today. Some areas go better the others. I have about 40% of what I had to do done. I think I will have good weathr Monday so I will spend the day on it. I would consider using a stripper but I am doing this at my nephews house and he has young children and I don't want to use anything that costic if I do not have to. Besides I am not working right now and money is real tight. I need to work with what I have.

Yamikaze

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Spent more time on the blasting today. I think I am going to call it a year. it is getting to cold and windy to blast any more, besides I am almost out of walnut media. When blasting the inside most of the media stayed inside the boat. Now that I am doing the outside is it blowing everywhere. Sure I was able to sweep up a good amount of it but when it is windy it blows off the driveway and what is on the driveway gets mixed in with leaves. Yes I am using a screen to sift crap out but lots of crap makes its way in.
Here are a few pictures of the progress. _DSC6251.jpg_DSC6253.jpg_DSC6257.jpg_DSC6291.jpg_DSC6293.jpg

Yamikaze

Petty Officer 3rd Class

With these shots I want to show how little the walnut molests the aluminum. I did not see as much at the beginning of the process. Even though I have been blowing the driveway off before I begin blasting, I think I am getting some sand in the mix. Either that or as I use the media over and over I am left with harder pieces of shell. Which when I think of it make more sense The media seems finer then when I started and it makes sense that what is left is more compressed and harder then when I started.
If you look at the close up of the stern, last picture, you can see that using a wire wheel is actually more damaging then walnut.

_DSC6295.jpg_DSC6296.jpg_DSC6297.jpg

Yamikaze

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Just playing with Photoshop. How about Candy apple Green or Bright Candy Orange. Orange is my favorite color.

Orange.jpgGreen.jpg

Pugetsound

Lieutenant Commander

Yami It looks like the garage would be a good winter work area. Truck might be cold starting but that way you would be ready for spring splash. EASY for me to say. I restored my 16 SS outside under one of those big plastic garages. It only blew away twice. LOL Looking good nice work.

Yamikaze

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Yami It looks like the garage would be a good winter work area. Truck might be cold starting but that way you would be ready for spring splash. EASY for me to say. I restored my 16 SS outside under one of those big plastic garages. It only blew away twice. LOL Looking good nice work.

Too bad the garage in the pictures is my nephews, I only have a single car garage and that is home for my off road truck. I have way to much money invested in that truck to let it sit outside all winter.

Monterey Dreams

Chief Petty Officer

I vote Green!!!! I do not know how to put a link. If you do advanced search for Monterey Dreams you should find my thread fairly easy.

Yamikaze

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I vote Green!!!! I do not know how to put a link. If you do advanced search for Monterey Dreams you should find my thread fairly easy.

Ok I found your thread. I will check it out after I finish this post.

It is real easy to edit your signature, let me show you how.
1. Go to your thread and copy your URL or copy this one http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=507785&highlight=Monterey+Dreams
2. Go to the top of your screen and select "Settings"
3. On the left side of the screen you will see a list of settings select "Edit Signature" under "My Settings"
4. Create your signature so it says what you want it to and include your URL for your thread.
5. Save your settings

Picture 5.pngPicture 3.pngPicture 4.pngPicture 6.jpg

greenbush future

Lieutenant Commander

I like the red and white better than green. And red is about the toughest color ever keep looking new. Last red boat I had was really tough bringing the gelcoat back to life. But they both will look cooool.

rrumba

Ensign

hey Yam, i am in the same boat you are in...pun intended.... with the sandblasting. I am actually using play sand that i have screened so i am only using the fine parts and at only 3.50 for 50 pounds, it is a good deal. It does seem to leave a little rough but i kind of like the way it looks and think that will also help to give the paint something to hold onto. I tried baking soda but that would have taken FOREVER. the media is very expensive, even at harbor freight. the play sand i think is working nicely. i only get about an hour after work, kids before dark, between weather, so it has been slow going as well. i will be posting my pics later today.

looks good, keep up the work. maybe your nephew will let you use 1 of his garages for the build???

Monterey Dreams

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks for the instructions Yamikaze. I will try to add the link now.
Dave

Yamikaze

Petty Officer 3rd Class

hey Yam, i am in the same boat you are in...pun intended.... with the sandblasting. I am actually using play sand that i have screened so i am only using the fine parts and at only 3.50 for 50 pounds, it is a good deal. It does seem to leave a little rough but i kind of like the way it looks and think that will also help to give the paint something to hold onto. I tried baking soda but that would have taken FOREVER. the media is very expensive, even at harbor freight. the play sand i think is working nicely. i only get about an hour after work, kids before dark, between weather, so it has been slow going as well. i will be posting my pics later today.

looks good, keep up the work. maybe your nephew will let you use 1 of his garages for the build???

I have been using crushed walnut, and I am very happy with it. I was thinking about how when I started I had no pitting at all. But as I reused the media over and over I started getting some pitting. When I first started the media was softer. As I used it, I think the grains got more and more compact thus harder. In the spring I will buy another 50 lb. bag to finish.
I wish I could use my nephews garage, but he has enough stuff in there as it is. If I was able I would store my truck in there so I could work at my time in my own garage. One thing that is nice is I am not in a rush. I have much more time then money, unemployment will do that for you. Anyone need a good graphic communications instructor?

Thanks for the instructions Yamikaze. I will try to add the link now.

Glad I could help Dave.

John

Monterey Dreams

Chief Petty Officer

Hey John,

"A wife screaming at me to sell something"......You should sell those photos of flowers you put on my thread. They were pretty awesome. I still don't know what that shiny stuff was. We don?t have that in Central Cali! Ever think of putting them on some of those photo stock sites? I don?t think they could have been much better.
Dave

glcross123

Cadet

I have been checking out your Lone Star and I think your doing a great job. I know it is a ton of work to bring your boat back to life.
063.jpg064.jpg071.jpg001.jpg005.jpgI wanted to share one of my upcoming projects. Keep the post and pics coming. I think everyone is enjoying them. This is a 1959.

Yamikaze

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I have been checking out your Lone Star and I think your doing a great job. I know it is a ton of work to bring your boat back to life.
View attachment 120660View attachment 120661View attachment 120662View attachment 120663View attachment 120664I wanted to share one of my upcoming projects. Keep the post and pics coming. I think everyone is enjoying them. This is a 1959.

Welcome to Iboats GLcross :) Is this a Nassau or a Malibu? It looks like it is in fairly good shape. They sure did de-emphasize the fins in 59. It also looks like it has a splash guard, I have been thinking about trying to make one. can your take a few close up pictures of it for me. I would like to see how it was bent and mounted. Have you started a thread for your project yet I would love to follow your progress.

Yamikaze

Petty Officer 3rd Class

So I put the boat away for the winter. I am going to try and do a little work when I have good weather. I have it in the backyard with my other boats. My association is probably already talking to their lawyers trying to figure out how to evict me and my boatyard. I have four boats out there, each with a kayak on top of it. We are only allowed to register two boats. I understand why they only want to let us register two boats. We are only a 7,000 acer facility with only 700 acers of water. I know some say they will never live in an association, but I don't mind, there really is only a few rules I don't agree with. I grew up in Detroit, and my Mom has a cottage a few miles away from my house. Living in rural area has some real drawbacks. Like my Mom's neighbor who burns his trash every weekend. And they live upwind along with their dog who is penned up 24/7 and they rarely clean the pen. Once again they live upwind. There is lots to be said for living in an association when you look at all the crazy things people do around you. Who am I to talk... .

Picture 10.jpg

glcross123

Cadet

Good evening, No I haven't started a thread yet, but will when I get started on it. It is a Malibu. I pulled all the wood off the stern due to rut. I have it set up for small lake fishing at this time. I can put my 9.5 Evinrude on her and my grandson and I can do our thing. Lots of lakes here in Maine. I will take a few pics and post them on this thread this weekend (if I can get my camera working. Until next time. Gary

Yamikaze

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Gary thanks for posting a reply. I look forward to seeing more pictures of your boat. When you do get a thread started post a link on my thread I would love to follow along with your progress.

Monterey Dreams

Chief Petty Officer

Hey Yamikaze,
Just wanted to check in, it's been a few days, nothing doing with the boat? How?s your weather? It was cold here today I think it dropped down to 54. Burr, you should see me I am laying around the house in a sweatshirt with hood!!!!! It?s supposed to drop down to 39 tonight. Talk to you soon.
C-Ya later

Status
Not open for further replies.