1958 Lone Star Nassau Restore Underway

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monterey Dreams

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 1958 Lone Star Nassau Restore Underway

Hey John,
I am also glad you are back. I agree you should let your wife yell at you! I don’t think I could resist the offer of the whole boat either. (I am a glutton for punishment). You might become like my buddy boatnut (Andrew) and have a different boat for every day that ends with Y.
Hope to see your beauty splashed soon also.
Are you out on summer break yet? I love it this time. I did not take any summer classes and I have loved being free again….
Dave

Yamikaze

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: 1958 Lone Star Nassau Restore Underway

I've been working on the fins lately. When I had them fill in the holes and the sections where the PO cut out, they left several low spots. The fins are going to be the most prominent section of the boat, so I want to make sure they look the best they can. I am using JB weld to fill in these low spots. So far it is working very well. The stuff goes on nicely, but sands like a rock. I think it will be worth it though. When I bought this boat my son said he would help with the restoration. He has even said it several times since. Still waiting on that help. I guess just like my dad did when he restored the camper.:facepalm: Attached is also a shot of scratches from the PO. They are all over the exterior of the boat. The PO tried to scrape the paint off at some point. In the past I have read that some primers will fill in scratches, is there any truth to this.

filling-fins-2.jpgfilling-fins.jpgScratches.jpg

Monterey Dreams

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 58 Lone Star Nassau Restore Underway

That boat really looks good. I can't wait to watch you get 'er done.
dave

Yamikaze

Petty Officer 3rd Class

It will be a long time before I have this one done. Schools is going to take up all my money for a few years to come. I will be doing the stuff that does not cost any money or little money. I have been sanding and sanding. There are so many scratches from the previous owner trying to scrape paint off at some point. I have been sanding them down with a small orbital sander and then using a rubber sanding block. It has been a lot of work, but it will pay off in the long run.

John

kfa4303

Banned

love the fins yamikaze. You're right, there are "self leveling" primers that are pretty good at filling in small scratches. Just search around for one that is made for use on metal/aluminum and try to use the same brand of paint for your top coats, so there aren't any weird compatibility issues, or odd chemical reactions.

Yamikaze

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks for the comment and information Captain. I actually have been making some good progress with the sanding. I am confident I will have most if not all scratches sanded out by the end of summer. I bought a windshield for it a few days ago. I just picked it up with my son. I was afraid it did not have a high enough arch on the edge that sits on the deck. My fears were confirmed when I got home. The arch is not high enough. If this was made out of plastic it would not be an issue, but it is safety glass. It is too late to call around to glass shops, and I will do so tomorrow. Does anyone have any experience with sanding or grinding safety glass. Is it possible to modify this windshield so it will fit better?

shield1.jpgShield2.jpgShield3.jpgShield4.jpgShield5.jpg

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

I dunno but it would look sweet on there if you can get it.to work!

rrumba

Ensign

Hey Yami....

My dad does stained glass and he said that if it is Tempered glass then you cannot grind or cut it. If it is laminated glass like they use on windshields you can do it with a special glass grinder typically used in stained glass. it will take you a while and you have to go slow. you may be able to find an art glass studio to help you.

hope that helps some.

kfa4303

Banned

Nice windshield yami. maybe it would be better/easier to somehow build up the gaps on the sides, rather than trying to cut the glass. Maybe an extra large windshield gasket and/or some kind of shims can be fabricated? Keep us posted.....

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Nice WS, Yami. I would be leery of trying to grind it to fit. I think it uses the Taylor Made Twin Flap gasket. I think it has almost an inch of lee way. I'd try the gasket first and then see if any build up is needed. Hate to break that beauty.

Yamikaze

Petty Officer 3rd Class

So gentleman I have been doing some reading and starring at the windshield. Sanding and or grinding is not an option as far as I can see. I am going to call around to a couple of glass shops and see what the pros have to say about it.
I was, however, thinking along the exact same lines as kfa4303. I think that filing in the gaps is going to be my plan of attack. I currently am thinking I can do it with wood. I also thought about the possibility of using something like a nylon cutting board. Something else that just came to mind is an epoxy or something like that. When I was in junior high school we used to make paperweights with a two part acrylic. I could make a form out of cardboard and sand it to fit when the acrylic hardened. I will figure something out. I really like the way that shield looks, and really like the chrome mounting brackets. If worst came to worst I could always use all the hardware and form a piece of plexiglass to fit. I could use the glass as a form and a heat gun to soften the plexiglass around it.

Yamikaze

Petty Officer 3rd Class
MY my my it sure has been a long time. I finally found some time and motivation to work on the lone star. I have been sanding the aluminum trying to get ride of the gouges put in there by the previous owner who tried to scrape the paint off the boat. I just about have the top deck finished and I am still working on filling in the repairs on the fins with JB weld.
It looks like the last time I was on here I was working on the windshield I bought. That is no longer a project since it fell and shattered into a million pieces. I am hoping to be able to use the hardware from that shield and make one out of plexiglass. We'll see.

jbcurt00

Staff member
Welcome back! Looking forwrd to seeing some progress pix when you have some to post.

Yamikaze

Petty Officer 3rd Class
No Title

So I have been doing the slow work of filling and sanding the repairs on the fins. If you guys remember there were all kinds of holes in the fins from one thing or another. While waiting for JB weld to cure, I have also been sanding out the gouges, dents and scratches in the molding that lines the cockpit and gunnel.
Here are some pictures of my progress

Attachments

• photo206346.jpg
    photo206346.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 0
  • photo206347.jpg
    photo206347.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 0
  • photo206348.jpg
    photo206348.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 0
  • photo206369.jpg
    photo206369.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 0
  • photo206370.jpg
    photo206370.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Yamikaze

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Thanks! I have big dreams for this boat. I am realistic though, I know it will take a long time for me to complete this project. As with any project, money and time are influential factors in this build. I am trying to take care of all the labor details when I have time and the money is all dependent on whether I can find a job after graduation this December.

jbcurt00

Staff member
Good luck w/ the job search!

I know money and time constraints for boat projects.......... If I'm to finish over half that currently await me, I just may never die ;)

Tigerguy

Cadet
Just purchased a '58 Nassau hull as my first boat. I also need to replace the wood transom. I was hoping there's a better way than cutting out the aluminum fins and welding back into place. Any tips or photos of 'completed' projects from other owners?

Last edited by a moderator:

jbcurt00

Staff member
tigerguy, please review the rules and guidelines.

It's been well over a year since there were any new posts to this topic, and over a year since Yamikazi even logged on to iboats.

Start a topic about your LS and the tin boat fellas will be along to help and harass you.

Closed

Status
Not open for further replies.