1958 Lone Star Nassau Restore Underway

Status
Not open for further replies.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
Re: 58 Lone Star Nassau Restore Underway

That's going to really clean up nicely. Great work so far.

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

A really futuristic looking boat... I dig the fins!;) You should install some '58 Caddy tail lights on those when you're done.

Seriously, that's a really cool looking old boat and you're doing some good work.

erwinner

Petty Officer 1st Class

I love the old Lone Stars and my buddy's dad has one in about that shape beached on his lot... full of beer cans instead of trees though. :p Might have to see if I can talk him out of it when he sells the place...
Sorry I don't have much to add as far as help, don't want to give you a bunch of BS!
Keep up the good work.

Yamikaze

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I really wish the weather would cooperate. I need it to be dry so I can blast the rest of the paint. Then I can move on to checking for leaks. Once I find the leaks I can reset the rivets and seal the seams. I really want to get as much done as I can before the snow fly's Time to research painting options.

Yamikaze

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Got a lot done today. I thought I was going to be rained out for the whole day, but it held off until late afternoon. Just about have the entire inside of the boat sand blasted. The bow is so tight to get into I had to have my son do it. Even then his 120 lb. frame had a hard enough time getting in. I have been playing a little bit with photo shop trying to figure out how I want to paint it. What do you guys think about this possible scheme?

I have also been researching what I actually have to do to get a good paint job. I understand I need to treat the aluminum with Zinc Chromate and primer. I also have seen that many have used Moeller Moe with great success, but as far as I can see it only comes in spray cans. Has anyone seen this product in quart or gallon quantities?

Paintedlow.jpg

Yamikaze

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I think I like this version better.

Painted2low.jpg

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Defineltly use ZC to prep. I think you can get excellent results with good old rustoleum professional Oil Based Acrylic Enamel and using a hardener for the paint. Valspar makes the hardener and it's sold at Tractor Supply. I painted my boat with it and the paint is hard as nails. Check out Page #10 in my My Flamingo thread listed below.

Yamikaze

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks Woodonglass, Just to clarify, SEM Self Etching Primer is a ZC correct? I am going to spray both the inside and outside of the hull. This will be great if it gets me away from using rattle cans. Even at $7.00 a can I would probably be looking at $100. just for ZC. At first glance it looks like SEM's self etching primer is only $23. a quart. That should cut my cost by half. If I am ever in Broken Arrow I know who I'm having out to the lake for "Kool Aid" and burgers.;)

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Yep SEM is good stuff. Wash the boat down first with a 50/50 mix of vinegar and water or TSP (Get it at Lowe's). Let her dry real good, then shoot the primer. You only need a vry light coating so don't get carried away. Are you shooting with HVLP?

greenbush future

Lieutenant Commander

Great looking boat and project, you are doing the work and it will be well worth it IMO. I am restoring a 61 Glass Lone Star ?Fleetwood Sport? which has some nice lines and came with factory twin 35 hp Johnsons. All the standard stuff needs to done, floor, transom, interior, paint. It?s been fun and very rewarding. My goal is to splash at the end of next year. I have no previous glass experience, but the folks here (woodnglass) have been really helpful in guiding me. Seems there are more tin boats out there, you should have no problem with asking and getting answers to all your questions. Have fun and keep sending pictures, the pictures are the best part of following your efforts.

Yamikaze

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Yep SEM is good stuff. Wash the boat down first with a 50/50 mix of vinegar and water or TSP (Get it at Lowe's). Let her dry real good, then shoot the primer. You only need a vry light coating so don't get carried away. Are you shooting with HVLP?

Very good news. I will start researching if I can get it locally, if not on-line. I am not sure what I am going to shoot it with yet. I don't have a gun at this time. when I was sand blasting at my nephew's house, he told me he has a spray gun I can use. Back in the Eighties I use to shoot paint at my brothers hydraulic shop where he had a paint booth. He is working for a different company now and I am not sure if he has a booth at this shop, or if he still has the freedom to use the shop after hours. Even then, he lives 200 miles away and that could be a problem. I am not sure if I will try to paint it this season yet. Since the school system I work at closed my printing and graphics program money has gotten real tight. I sure hope this economy turns around soon. I really wish the talking heads and the government would start talking about all the good things we still have going for us in this country vs the bad. All they do is solidify the self for-filling prophecy. Talk negative all the time and things will continue to be negative. Start talking about our employment level being at 91% sounds a lot better then saying we have 9% unemployment.

I am restoring a 61 Glass Lone Star ?Fleetwood Sport? which has some nice lines and came with factory twin 35 hp Johnsons.

Greenbush, Thanks for the encouragement. There truly is a wealth of information on Iboats. I have looked in on your thread a few times now, you need to get cracking on that one it is a nice find. One of the coolest things I found out about Lone Star is the twin motor option they had. It sure looks cool as cool can get.

Yamikaze

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I sure wish this weather would dry up a little. We have had rain everyday for the last two weeks. Not a lot of rain, just enough to ruin the day. Family obligations this weekend and next. Before I know it there will be snow on the ground. One of the problems of living in northern Michigan. Still love the place though.:)

Yamikaze

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: 1958 Lone Star Nassau Restore Underway

Have only been getting a little bit done here and there on the boat lately. I have mainly been sanding down trim trying to get some of the fifty years of nicks out. It is suppossed sunny Saturday so I am hoping I can finish sand blasting. Then I will store it till spring.

bonz_d

Vice Admiral

Yamikaze I'm impressed with your project. Another rare classy oldie. Sorry I just picked up on this thread as usually read all the aluminum projects.

As a rarity it should be worth every penny you invest in it. One of the nice things about aluminum, it doesn't dry rot like wood. I too like the second paint scheme better. Follows the natural lines of the hull and not real flashy, just right I think. Too bad you have to put it away for the winter!

greenbush future

Lieutenant Commander

I think I like this version better.

View attachment 115512

I like this one too, the colors you picked are also the original colors on my 61 Lone Star, very nice color config.
Did you experience any pitting issues using the walnut shells on Alum.? I was reading your post's and noticed what seemed to work for you. Let us know please.
Ive been working on mine a bunch, just havent posted pictures, she will splash next year for sure, how about you?

Yamikaze

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Greenbush, I have not experienced any pitting at all using the walnut media. I recommend it to anyone who is blasting their boat, even fiberglass. You really have to hold the blast right on the metal to even get it to attack the oxidation.

orlandoclippertim

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Yam:
I sent you a reply the other nite but I think the I-Boats software sent it into a black hole!
I have a 61 malabu in my yard getting restored. Very much just like yours except your fins are a bit taller than this one's. Same seat config and length. It has some small corrosion holes in the hull in the back corner of the rear seat box. May have to do a flush patch on the big ones and add a rivet in the small ones. It looks like something corrosive (batt acid) might have been spilled there. Other than that the hull is in great condition. Very little corrosion. It was painted with about 5 coats of paint. I think that helped ! It is my cousin's boat but I mess with it occasionaly since it is beside mine.

Tim

Monterey Dreams

Chief Petty Officer

Hello,
I just found your thread and your boat is very cool. I am a noob also; but for what it is worth I am watching your thread also. I really love the old 50?s style. I have a 59 glass catamaran that I am in the process of restoring (this is my first restore). If you want to check out my thread; my paint scheme looks fairly close to what you are considering doing. Maybe you might want to see the effect on a boat without the photoshop. I used just plain old Rustoleum industrial with no hardener; my paint is also as hard as nails. (I utilized the roll and tip method, I do not know how to spray). It just took longer to cure and dry ?around 2 weeks if I recall?.
?As to the response issue? they come in spurts, sometimes it is a week or two before somebody checks in on you and sometimes you cannot answer the flurry of responses because of the volume. Lastly getting a response around here is a little like fishing. Every time you post, your thread pops up at the top of the ?list? and works its way down as people post. If you post a little something every few days; a fast question here or there you end up ?higher on the list more often? and thus a few more nibbles, oh yah, and around here the bait to use is Photos!
P.S I extend my Welcome to Iboats also, this place is unbelievable and these people are amazing. Hope you have fun here.:D:D
Dave

Yamikaze

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Tim Dave thanks for the replies. Dave I understand what you are saying it does go in sperts around here. I was a little stressed out the day I wrote that post. I was feeling a little left out though. The both of you need to put your thread link in you signature line, I would like to see your boats. My son and I finished the sand blasting on the inside of the boat today. We started on the hull but the going was slow. The hull was painted with what looks like latex and is as thick as a good leather belt. We'll get back at it in the morning.

rivermouse

Senior Chief Petty Officer

When I removed the paint from my 60 crestliner tinny I was told that easy-off oven cleaner worked well. It did. You let it soak in and then use a good brush . Of course you have to wash the stuff off real good, I have used JB water weld with good results. I even replaced a chunk missing from the lower fin on the foot and it has held tight for 3 years,, Good stuff

Status
Not open for further replies.