1958 Lone Star Nassau Restore Underway

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yamikaze

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: 1958 Lone Star Nassau Restore Underway

Been doing some more fabricating for the boat today. I needed to make three (what I'll call ) cup holders. There is one for each of the passengers. I only had one original and it was pretty beat up. I have all three cut out from the sheet of aluminum and one bent in to shape. This was much easier then the seat supports. I will finish bending the remaining two in the morning. I can't wait to get everything mounted on the boat. That will be a while.

_DSC8337.jpg_DSC8348.jpg_DSC8350.jpg_DSC8354.jpg_DSC8355.jpg

Yamikaze

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Forgot to post a few pics of the original cup holder.:facepalm:

_DSC8304.jpg_DSC8305.jpg_DSC8306.jpg

Monterey Dreams

Chief Petty Officer

Wow John, those look great! :D On your completed prototype from photo 8350, I got a question for you. Are you going to seam the portions together (solder, weld, glue) where the sides fold up to meet the front? Or do the screws hold it all together when mounted? I think that you work looks way coooool. :cool: I bought some sheet metal flashing for a little piece on my boat and I had hard time cutting it with the shears. I ended up with little jagged cuts.:( Your cuts look very smooth.
C-YA
Dave

P.S.
Check out my thread tomorrow night, the weather is perfect here (New Year Day) Sunny and hot "ish"
(70’s) with blue skies. A person could not ask for better weather in the middle of winter! I have all day tomorrow scheduled to work on her.

Yamikaze

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Hi Dave, When the holder is riveted in place it will hold it all together. I thought about adding a tab and tacking it in place, but then I thought about drainage. The open bottom on the sides will allow water to drain out.
Looking forward to seeing what progress you make Monday. We are looking at server winter weather all day Monday.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Hey Yami - All those pieces you're fabbing now are the things that hold you up when you start to put the boat together. A good plan to get them out of the way.

Yamikaze

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Finished the last two cup holders. Third one was the charm. Looking at the first one compared to the second and third one makes me want to make one more and not use the first one I made. I used a body hammer on the first one and dinged up the aluminum quite a bit. I have the metal, but at the moment I don't have the motivation. One thing I know though, is it will drive me nuts if I used the dinged up one. After lunch :rolleyes:

_DSC8356.jpg_DSC8357.jpg_DSC8358.jpg_DSC8359.jpg

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

WOW !!! Practice really does make perfect. If you are like me, and it sounds like you are, you WILL be making another one.

Yamikaze

Petty Officer 3rd Class

It was done by four PM. Shortly after lunch. Like I said, it would have drove me nuts if I used the dinged up one.

Monterey Dreams

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 58 Lone Star Nassau Restore Underway

Hey Yami,
I just wanted to check in.
Dave

Yamikaze

Petty Officer 3rd Class

As if life wasn't depressing enough! I took a walk down to my dock a few minutes ago. Anyone want to go boating? You will need an ice breaker first. The country may be having warmer then usual weather, but it has been could enough around here to freeze our lakes in central michigan.

Temp.jpgDock2.jpgDock.jpg

Yamikaze

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Yes I know, it's time to rebuild my dock.

GA_Boater

Looks like it's just over freezing - Perfect boating weather for Bering Sea crabbers. LOL

rrumba

Ensign

nice fab work Yami, GA hit the nail on the head with all the little add ons that you will want to put on and delay your splash, you know kinda like Jasoutside, not to mention any names......

I like the paint shceme in #63 best myself.

Yamikaze

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks Rumba. There is not much more I can do at this point. That's OK I don't have money to do it anyway. I always intended this to be a summer evening project. I need to work on my Motorcycle in the winter.

Attachments

• June17.3.jpg
    June17.3.jpg
    157.8 KB · Views: 0

rrumba

Ensign

classic ride there Yami....

i ride a yzf 600r and was supposed to repaint the plastics this winter but got tied up on this new fangled forum.. maybe you heard of it, it's called iboats and if you are not busy posting your own progress you are looking at everyone else's, getting idead from other threads for yours, commenting on others posts and then finding a tinny you can work on during the winter realinzing that you forgot all aobut the other projects that you WERE going to work on......

not hat i know anyting about that mind you.

64osby

Admiral

Yami, Just looked in on your thread, the boat has great character.

Keep banging away, nice work on the seat braces and the cup holders, your giving me ideas.

I'll keep watching

Yamikaze

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thank for looking in on the thread guys. We all know there is lots to keep busy with

Yamikaze

Petty Officer 3rd Class

So I have been back at it with the boat. Finished getting all the paint off the hull. It had so many layers that walnut blasting was taking way to long. Besides the walnut media I had was warn out so it was not doing the job very well. I tried using a wire wheel, and that worked where there was not five layers of paint, but it was gouging the aluminum. I decided to use stripper on the last few feet of paint. I did wire wheel off the patina from the whole outer hull. I still need to do a fair amount of body work and filling. I plan to use JB weld on the low spots unless someone has a better idea. Seems that several people have used JB with good results. I did have another lucky find. I found most of a set of nameplates with logo. When I asked the marina owner/boat owner if he would sell them to me he told me to take the whole boat if I wanted. I told him I did not need to give my wife another reason to yell at me! She seems to have plenty to work with as it is.
I hope all is well with everyone on the board. I am looking forward to reading about what you have all been up to. Monterey Dreams I am on my way to your thread now! I am sure I will see some great progress. :)

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Glad to see you back Yami!!!! Looking forward to seeing and watching your progress.

GA_Boater

Glad you came in out of the rain, Yami. Just keep at it and you'll be floating in no time. How mad was the wife? :eek: That's too good a deal to pass on.

Status
Not open for further replies.