14 ft. Tri-hull Boat Total Rebuild

singinout

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 14 ft. Tri-hull Boat Total Rebuild

Man, that paint is SUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUweeeeeeeeeet! Looks awesome! I think I am going to HAVE to paint mine. That just looks too good! You are using interlux topside right? What is the cost on that? Roll and tipping, no?

I wasnt trying to give you a hard time, just reading through your thread you seemed to be against it. I just cant see going through all the work that you, myself and all the other nuts on here and NOT sealing the wood to the best of your abilities. You know what I mean? I am glad you changed your mind. Now you will have a beautiful boat for as long as you want to keep it. I would be proud of that boat! God, look at where you started and look at it all shiny and new looking now! You are doing a heck of a good job!

Thanx man! Yeah I luv it! It got me really ramped up now that it looks like I'm actually gettin somewhere! Yeah I used Interlux topside. I dont remember off the top of my head what it cost. Yeah I used roll and tipping. Actually to be honest, the first coat I didnt do the tipping part. For some reason I thot that it just meant rolling the paint on. It was only after I had the first coat on that I seen a thread on it and realized exactly what the "tipping" part was. I did it on second coat. Overall tho, I think it got pretty good anyway.

Ha! I was mostly just kiddin bout the sealing! Yeah I know you guyz meant it in all good advice! And you had a good point and I took it! I just thot Id throw a dig!;) Andy in NY was prolly the one that mentioned it the most. It's all cool.

Here's a pic of sealing my lids and the front deck. (just to prove i actually did it! lol)
0729092308.jpg

singinout

Petty Officer 1st Class

And if you guyz want some more pix of the paint....
0729091430.jpg

Btw, the hardware is not fastened. I just sat it on there to see how it looked with the new paint! ;) I wasn't disappointed! :D

singinout

Petty Officer 1st Class

And another... (I'll try to post some "real" pix from a good camera here in the next day or so instead of cell pix! :))

0729091429.jpg

singinout

Petty Officer 1st Class

O yeah one thing I forgot. I got my console painted with the first coat of paint. I used the same Interlux paint I used on the boat. I used roll and tip on that too. From what I seen, that is really turning out nice! I rolled and my sis came behind tipping. Wrkd real gud! Maybe tomorrow after I put final coat on I can get a pic of it for you guyz.

Andy in NY

Commander

Thanx man! Yeah I luv it! It got me really ramped up now that it looks like I'm actually gettin somewhere! Yeah I used Interlux topside. I dont remember off the top of my head what it cost. Yeah I used roll and tipping. Actually to be honest, the first coat I didnt do the tipping part. For some reason I thot that it just meant rolling the paint on. It was only after I had the first coat on that I seen a thread on it and realized exactly what the "tipping" part was. I did it on second coat. Overall tho, I think it got pretty good anyway.

Ha! I was mostly just kiddin bout the sealing! Yeah I know you guyz meant it in all good advice! And you had a good point and I took it! I just thot Id throw a dig!;) Andy in NY was prolly the one that mentioned it the most. It's all cool.

Here's a pic of sealing my lids and the front deck. (just to prove i actually did it! lol)
0729092308.jpg

you missed a spot...
:D

chrishayes

Senior Chief Petty Officer

you missed a spot...
:D

yeah to the right of the piece on the left. Your boat is gonna rot and sink to the bottom of a 3' deep lake in less than 3 weeks but the paint will still be shiny!

tallcanadian

Captain

Looking great sing. It makes me want to do a refit on mine....hmmmm. Can't wait to see more pics.

singinout

Petty Officer 1st Class

yeah to the right of the piece on the left. Your boat is gonna rot and sink to the bottom of a 3' deep lake in less than 3 weeks but the paint will still be shiny!

Lol! You guyz! :D I should go look at that one. Wonder if I actually dint quite get it or if the wood was just discolored. Hey! At least you guyz are reading my thread! ha ha!

singinout

Petty Officer 1st Class

Here's my new stainless rails! And yeah they are installed! :)
0730092259a.jpg

singinout

Petty Officer 1st Class

I was test fitting my trolling motor bracket on the front. I got a transom mount motor because of the $ difference. I just got a bracket welded to mount it on. My motor is a Bass Pro Shops 55 lb thrust.

0730092054.jpg

singinout

Petty Officer 1st Class

Got some carpet cut and fitted tonight. Dint glue anything in yet. Hopefully tomorrow can cut and fit the rest and then get it all glued in. I like the color.

0730092256.jpg

The carpet shows up a little blue on the pic. It's not. It's a medium gray.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Looking great. I really like those rails.

chrishayes

Thanx! I'm using the same epoxy you use for glassing. Just without the mat. It gives a nice thick sealer and gets really hard.

Man, you are gonna hate me...but just epoxy coating will only buy you a little while of water protection. I am using epoxy in my build also and I have precoated all my wood with 3 coats of epoxy then before I glass it I sand with 100 grit. Well, I was shocked at how little epoxy penetrated into the wood:eek: We are talking large fractions of a inch. Less than a fingernail! It blew me away and made me feel like I was wasting resin. I found this out after spilling some PL on a piece of my tank support. I tried to wipe it off the best I could but some of it hardened. So I just waited till it cured and figured I would hit it with my grinder real quick with a VERY light touch. I was barely brushing the surface with the grinder when I knicked a spot without PL and my heart sank. I mean, you couldnt even feel the knick while running your hand over it and it was virgin wood like I just bought it:eek:

chrishayes

Lol! You guyz! :D I should go look at that one. Wonder if I actually dint quite get it or if the wood was just discolored. Hey! At least you guyz are reading my thread! ha ha!

Yeah but im gonna stop if you dont glass it now!:p really, not all boats need to be overbuilt...you seem to have the shop, tools, and skill to build an awesome boat so that is why you are getting a hard time. Most on here overdo theirs to a point(jeesh, look at mine!) so we expect to see that in everyones build who is taking the time to document and do such a nice job.

Its all good, now go play with your boat!

singinout

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yeah but im gonna stop if you dont glass it now!:p really, not all boats need to be overbuilt...you seem to have the shop, tools, and skill to build an awesome boat so that is why you are getting a hard time. Most on here overdo theirs to a point(jeesh, look at mine!) so we expect to see that in everyones build who is taking the time to document and do such a nice job.

Its all good, now go play with your boat!

:D Ha well....I guess you'll have to stop reading it then! :p I got carpet on some of the surfaces and I'm not gonna try to redo it. I think I have a decent coat on it. Will definately be better than no sealer. In my experience with the resin (and thats been plenty) I'm not too scared of it. With the minimal amount of moisture it will see, I think it will be fine. Thanx for your input tho! ;) Hey I don't always follow your suggestions but I do appreciate them! And you're more than welcome to hang around! ha ha

singinout

Petty Officer 1st Class

Dropped my console in - just for a look! :)

0731092041.jpg

singinout

Petty Officer 1st Class

Over-view of boat and its current status. Got carpet in front hatch, on main deck, in hatch under drivers seat, on 2 hatch lids, and sum fitted for inside the hatches.

0731091959.jpg