1968 15' Starcraft Jet Star Rebuild

dozerII

Admiral
Re: 1968 15' Starcraft Jet Star Rebuild

The two projects were about dead even not too long ago. At the moment one seems to be a bit further along than the other.

Jen asked me last night, "So when are you going to put that boat in the water? I just need to know so I can mark my calendar for the day I have a total melt down."

:eek:

That there is pretty funny, I think you might need hire some Nomes or something to save your UU on this one.lol

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

That there is pretty funny, I think you might need hire some Nomes or something to save your UU on this one.lol

Yah, I am going to have to hit that kitchen hard this weekend. I am to prep/paint stage. Painting cabinets takes fooooorrrrreeeeeevvvvvveeeerrrrrr! Then backsplash, then I have yet to build/paint/install the cabinet doors/drawers (which takes forever too).

Yah, I'll be hitting that hard this weekend.

paparoof

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Jen asked me last night, "So when are you going to put that boat in the water? I just need to know so I can mark my calendar for the day I have a total melt down."

:eek:

See this is why the Starmada needs to march. If WE drop the boat in the lake, it's not Jason's fault.

dozerII

Admiral

Hey Jason are you putting a back slope to the stern on your console like the SS, I can get that angle for you if you need it.

I will be doing a marathon weekend myself this weekend. Going to try and make some great progress on the SS finally.
Glen

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

See this is why the Starmada needs to march. If WE drop the boat in the lake, it's not Jason's fault.

Yah, nice try. I'd still get a beat down. If you get within here wing span she'd put a hurtin on you too buddy, she has sharp elbows:eek:

Hey Jason are you putting a back slope to the stern on your console like the SS, I can get that angle for you if you need it.

I will be doing a marathon weekend myself this weekend. Going to try and make some great progress on the SS finally.
Glen

Yah, I'll be doing a little tweeking of the console (slope and whatnot) but I can figure that stuff. The generic dimensions gave me a real good starting point, thanks!:)

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

It'll be a while before I can walk on it but the deck was dry enough to set my mocked up console in there...
P1070204.jpg

P1070205.jpg

P1070206.jpg

The dimensions ended up being height @ 24", width @ 20" and depth @ 12". I still have some tweeking to do on that and will give the dash just a bit of an angle too.

It's small so the steering will be mounted off to port just a hair, about like this maybe...
P1070207-1.jpg

I believe Ill give the console just a bit of curvature too...
P1070207-2.jpg

Well, that's the plan at the moment anyway:)

lakelover

Rear Admiral

It's really looking good, great job on that deck. I think you'll love the anti-slip, esp. once you get fish slime all over it. By the way, your computer graphic skills are a notch above mine. :)

Teamster

Lieutenant Commander

Splash! Splash! Splash! Splash!,...............................

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Console done - check
Kitchen cabinets painted - ???????????

Pullin' yer leg, Jas. The console size is great, functional without taking up a lot deck space.

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

It's really looking good, great job on that deck. I think you'll love the anti-slip, esp. once you get fish slime all over it. By the way, your computer graphic skills are a notch above mine. :)

Yah, so far I'm pretty happy with how that deck is looking. We'll see over time, just how well things hold up.

Well, my skills are surely that of any random knuckle head 3rd grader:rolleyes:

Splash! Splash! Splash! Splash!,...............................

Closer every day teamster!:)

Console done - check
Kitchen cabinets painted - ???????????

Pullin' yer leg, Jas. The console size is great, functional without taking up a lot deck space.

Good segway GA, check it out...

I have been thinking for a while now that I'd somehow fashion a console out of the bow I chopped out of this boat, rather than building out of wood. So, I grabbed it...
P1070208.jpg

Cleaned it up and drew a bunch of lines on it...
P1070209.jpg

Chopped it out...
P1070210.jpg

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

And sure enough, there was a console in there!
P1070215.jpg

P1070216.jpg

P1070217.jpg

P1070218.jpg

Still have a bunch to do on that but it's a good start anyway.

Hope you guys are enjoying the weekend:D

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Ok, looks like I am going to need some opinions out there as I am having a difficult time deciding...

Should I be going fir for the dash (and back dash of the console)...
P1060300-1.jpg

Or should I be using this 1/4" thick 6061 alum like I did on the transom here...
P1070087.jpg

If I go fir, that means I'll also have the stern bench as fir. If I go alum, that means the stern bench will be painted gray prolly.

I think I am pretty much 50/50 at the moment. Bummer, I need to decide to move on with this console!

I'd appreciate your thoughts:)

zopperman

Lieutenant Commander

Ok, looks like I am going to need some opinions out there as I am having a difficult time deciding...

Should I be going fir for the dash (and back dash of the console)...
P1060300-1.jpg

Or should I be using this 1/4" thick 6061 alum like I did on the transom here...
P1070087.jpg

If I go fir, that means I'll also have the stern bench as fir. If I go alum, that means the stern bench will be painted gray prolly.

I think I am pretty much 50/50 at the moment. Bummer, I need to decide to move on with this console!

I'd appreciate your thoughts:)

I've always liked the look of wood... especially when it's shiny and pretty like that.

You know, you could have just fiberglassed that cardboard and been done with the console instead of chopping and bending :p

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

For prettyness - the fir.
For practicality in a fishin' boat - the aluminum.

I say use whichever is easier for you to work with. I am a lot of help. :facepalm:

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

I've always liked the look of wood... especially when it's shiny and pretty like that.

You know, you could have just fiberglassed that cardboard and been done with the console instead of chopping and bending :p

Thanks for the input zop, though you are way off dood. The amount of time it took me to work out that console is about equal to that of you gearing up with all your PPE for a glass grinding session.:p

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

For prettyness - the fir.
For practicality in a fishin' boat - the aluminum.

I say use whichever is easier for you to work with. I am a lot of help. :facepalm:

Yah, that is really why I am having a tough time here. They are both about the same to work with, time wise. For maint, I'll need to tend to the fir about the same frequency as I would need to with SharkHide on the alum I suppose. They both function the same giving the console strength too.

So really, this decision is about what looks the best I guess, eh?

Thanks for stopping by bro:)

paparoof

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Very, very cool using the old parts to make the new parts. Awesome.

Oh - and my vote is for wood.

Golden Arrow II

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I would do the wood, it already has a finish on it. One less thing to do, closer to a splash yet.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

FIR he's a Jolly good Fellow, FIR he's a Jolly good Fellow, FIR he's a Jolly good Fellow...
Which No Console can Deny!!!!!!!