Coils for 1958 Evinrude Sportwin Ten

Sparkler

Seaman Apprentice
I am wondering if anyone can tell me if the stock coils in my 1958 Evinrude Sportwin Ten outboard motor are a light pastel green color. Model number 10016. Maybe they have been replaced sometime in the past? I just pulled the flywheel and that is what I found. Both have a couple of very fine hairline cracks. The part number embossed on the coils is 510961 and to the right of the number is bold M inside a square. I ordered a parts number list but have not received it yet so I appreciate the help. Also, I want to replace the plug wires but cannot get to the screw under the magneto that hold the wires in place. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!

STEVE IN SOCAL

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Coils for 1958 Evinrude Sportwin Ten

I had trouble with the spark plug wire screws on my 1956 10 hp Johnson, which I think is the same as your motor. I bought a book on old outboards, and it showed removing the armature plate. Not sure if this is correct, but seems like it would save a lot of hassle with the SP wire replacement. I've been at the old outboard thing for about a month, so there's better advice here than mine.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

pastel green they have been replace in the last 30 years.

jonesg

Admiral

correct the armature plate comes off to get at the plug wires.
Its held on by 2 small screws near the hub of the plate. (near the points)

I'd toss cracked coils. Those sound like replacement coils, mine were the original coils, dark green.

The coil has a metal spike for the plug wire to plug into, screw the wire onto the spike, I broke one by pushing it straight on.

make sure to mark the plug wires, mine had a metal clip marked TOP on one wire. So naturally I threw that away.....TOP of what I wondered...

wbeaton

Commander

Yes those are replacement. They sound like Seirra coils. Never heard of them cracking. Since they are cracked its time for new ones. There are four screws that hold the armature to the motor. Two of the screws go through the coil laminants and the other two are small phillips screws located beside the coils between the points and the crankshaft. Remove those four screws and the armature will pop off. Replace the wires wire solid core copper or stainless wire. Don't use regular automotive wire it won't work.

Sparkler

Seaman Apprentice

First of all I want thank everyone for their input. I am discovering that 51 year old outboard harware can be pretty stubborn. There are two screws under there that will not budge. They are the ones that hold plug wire brackets in place. Any suggestions?

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

remove the timing plate, they come out easy.

Sparkler

Seaman Apprentice

Are the timing plate and the armature plate the same thing?

lindy46

Captain

First of all I want thank everyone for their input. I am discovering that 51 year old outboard harware can be pretty stubborn. There are two screws under there that will not budge. They are the ones that hold plug wire brackets in place. Any suggestions?

Spray a little penetrating oil on and let it soak awhile.

Sparkler

Seaman Apprentice
Ignition coil part number

Ignition coil part number

I have a '58 Evinrude Sportwin Ten. Can someone please tell me the part number for the coils? I just pulled the second one off and it has a serious crack on the underside.
Thanks