Re: 1964 15' Starcraft Aluminum Runabout Project

duplicate post, how did that happen???
surprised.gif

Huron Angler

Admiral

by the time I get 4 of the single fold-downs, I'll be in the $500 range anyway

Keep your eye out on craigslist, I recently bought two basically brand new matching premium seats including swivel brackets and one bench clamp mount...all for $40 bucks:D

I can't promise you that you can find a set of 4 for a similar deal but it's worth looking in my opinion.

BTW if you mounted the 4 seats with just a little extra separation for the front to back then you could use 4 swivel mounts($9 each brand new)- that way all 4 people could spin and face each other when anchored, playing cards, enjoying beverages:). Just a thought.

bananaboater

Ensign

Here are details of my straight transom at the corners.

Attachments

• IMG_0618 copy.JPG
    IMG_0618 copy.JPG
    64.8 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_0619 copy.JPG
    IMG_0619 copy.JPG
    81.8 KB · Views: 2

Rickairmedic

Commander

Lake Lover before you cut those transom caps talk to ablair and wrfalpacas . I know ablair is looking for a set like you have for his mariner and bret sold him one and still has one like you would need to go stright across with your transom.

Rick

lakelover

Rear Admiral

Here are details of my straight transom at the corners.

Thanks for the detail. Just a thought that makes me wonder if that transom is the original - seeing the rusty nails or screws holding your cap on makes me wonder if it is original. All the nails holding mine on are rusty from the PO not using SS or aluminum fasteners. Would the manufacturer do that?

Rickairmedic

Commander

What makes me think Alberrts boat must be original like that is the fact the transom aluminum skin itself looks like one piece . On yours Lakelover to copy Alberts you will have a seam of some sort on the transom unless you totally remake the trnsom skin which I would think would be one heck or alot of work.

Rick

lakelover

Rear Admiral

What makes me think Alberrts boat must be original like that is the fact the transom aluminum skin itself looks like one piece . On yours Lakelover to copy Alberts you will have a seam of some sort on the transom unless you totally remake the trnsom skin which I would think would be one heck or alot of work.

Rick

Good point, I didn't think of that. It would be crazy to go to that much trouble.

bananaboater

Ensign

If you still want to consider going with a straight transom you might consider adding a layer of aluminum at the top of it. It could be cut to mimic the bottom curves of the boat and might be designed to create the wood layer many boats have between the motor mounting bracket and the outside of the stern. I'm not saying to replace the aluminum, just add a layer across the top cut into a functional decorative shape, not just straight.

Let me know if you want to sell that 20 inch long motor if you decide to go with the transom as it is. :D

Albert

lakelover

Rear Admiral

The temp. is 84 out there with 99% humidity. I thought I'd get started removing the transom, got a few bolts out and after about 15 minutes, it started raining. The PO really didn't want me to get that transom cap off, look at the size of those nails! I got several out that I could grip with the hammer claw. The others are going to be less fun. This is progress?!? Pfff....

w-DSC_2086transomcapnails.jpg

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Had those same nails in mine. Factory?

wrfalpacas

Chief Petty Officer

I also had similar nails holding on trim on the side panels, but mine were stainless, maybe factory changed materials by 1968?

Huron Angler

Admiral

I also had similar nails holding on trim on the side panels, but mine were stainless, maybe factory changed materials by 1968?

I'm not sure we'll ever figure that out since from what I hear not many folks can remember too many details from 1968...something to do with purple haze:D

Rudi Plett

Recruit

I noticed that you got a boat with a West Bend 50 hp outboard. I live in Paraguay (South America) and have one like that. It runs very good but I need a Propeller. May you know where I could find one that fit?
And if you want to get red of it (outboard), let me know, I see the way to get it down her.

lakelover

Rear Admiral

I noticed that you got a boat with a West Bend 50 hp outboard. I live in Paraguay (South America) and have one like that. It runs very good but I need a Propeller. May you know where I could find one that fit?
And if you want to get red of it (outboard), let me know, I see the way to get it down her.

Hi & welcome. Sorry, I already sold the motor. You might try searching on Google for "West Bend outboard parts", that would probably be your best bet. Sorry I can't be of more help.

lakelover

Rear Admiral

Next phase: trying to remove the transom wood.

My plan was to get the current wood out in one piece so I could use it for a template while transforming it from a 16" transom height into a 20" for my motor. I got all the trim & bolts removed and the zillions of screws attaching the back of the splashwell, that was all relatively easy. Removing the wood is not so easy!

I thought I had a good plan to put screw eyes in the current wood, which it turns out is very solid, and rigging up a car jack to try to pull it out. But that didn't work out because as I had anticipated it might do, all it did was lift the boat off the trailer. Like so:

w-DSC_2167.jpg

w-DSCN1900.jpg

(The wood isn't wet, I sprayed lubricant on the ends in desperation!)

In the process I discovered that the curved corners the PO had put in when he replaced the wood weren't even fastened in, they were just sitting on top of the 2x10 underneath it. The 2x10 itself is actually in pretty good shape.

If I can't get it out on one piece, I may try to think of some way to add another piece to the top for my extra 4", but I don't want to get ahead of myself. If I did that, the top engine bolts would go through the middle of the top piece and the bottom ones would be about 2/3 of the way down the bottom 2x10. I was toying with the idea of SS lag screws and glue, but then I wouldn't be able to seal it all well & I'd be concerned about water deterioration.

Any ideas?

WesMason

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Just came across your thread lakelover....nice ride!

I have a Jet as well and have really enjoyed the project...so far:D

I didn't have to replace my transom, so I can't speak to your immediate questions, but it does raise a question about how the motor will be placed and whether that will impact center of gravity/weight and how it performs. Is there a particular reason you want to have a higher transom? Just curious.

I know with mine it is a delicate balance and I have the cutout version of the transom. My boat pops up on plane quickly (1961 Johnson 40HP) and can be "slippery" in a straight line. I think these Jets have a very low profile compared to some of the others (Holiday, Jupiter, etc...).

Just something to consider. Good luck with your project.

If you're interested in selling your steering wheel let me know. I'm in the hunt for a vintage wheel :( and not having much luck.

Wes

lakelover

Rear Admiral

Just came across your thread lakelover....nice ride!

I have a Jet as well and have really enjoyed the project...so far:D

I didn't have to replace my transom, so I can't speak to your immediate questions, but it does raise a question about how the motor will be placed and whether that will impact center of gravity/weight and how it performs. Is there a particular reason you want to have a higher transom? Just curious.

I know with mine it is a delicate balance and I have the cutout version of the transom. My boat pops up on plane quickly (1961 Johnson 40HP) and can be "slippery" in a straight line. I think these Jets have a very low profile compared to some of the others (Holiday, Jupiter, etc...).

Just something to consider. Good luck with your project.

If you're interested in selling your steering wheel let me know. I'm in the hunt for a vintage wheel :( and not having much luck.

Wes

Hi Wes,

I want to adapt my transom for the 20" shaft Johnson that I bought this spring. I was motor shopping for this boat and was having a heck of a time finding a short shaft 48-50hp. With a 20" transom, the plate above the prop will be even (within 1/2") of the bottom of the boat.

I'm pretty hopeful on the performance with that setup. The brochure says it will take a 50 and the plate says 45. That was 1964 and motors were heavier then; using the USCG guide, with a 20" transom, that formula estimates 60 or 65, I can't remember, but I would never go that high. I'm sure the 50 will be more than sufficient for my wants.

Sorry, I just made a trade a couple days ago with my steering wheel & pulley system.

Glad you're following along, my progress is pretty sporadic up to now. I hope things are settling down and I can work on it a little more regularly now.

lakelover

Rear Admiral

A new plan I want to run by you:

Being the type to not just get a bigger hammer, but work with the situation to make life easier, I came up with an idea.

I?m convinced that piece of wood isn?t coming out, and as I mentioned it?s really in pretty good shape. And I was so proud of my pulling jig! I was thinking instead that I could add a 4? extension to the top, fastening it with 9 - 1/4 x 6? SS lag screws and glue. If I recess the heads 1?, that would give me 3? of each screw in the top extension piece and 3? going down into the old piece, with glue between them.

I know there?s no way I could completely seal it, but maybe 5200 on the screws as I put them in and then I could use Gluvit to seal all the exposed wood, finishing with a primer & a topcoat of Rustoleum Marine paint. I plan to have an aluminum cap fabricated for the top.

This would give me an exact 20? transom height. As long as I plan ahead and don?t put any of the lag screws where the motor needs to bolt on, I should be OK. I already made a template of the Johnson?s mounting holes that I can use to check that.

What do you think about this? Have I overlooked anything?

w-transomsketch.jpg

bananaboater

Ensign

I am the '64 Jet owner with a "20" inch transom that apparently is original. Just a few days ago looking at the brochures just posted for many years I discovered that the Jets could be ordered (in 1958) with a 20 inch as an option. So it looks like yours should not be affected by extending it. And it looks like your screw plan should suffice as the bottom of the motor will bolt through the original wood and the clamp area will be at the top.

Good luck.

Albert

vegasphotoman

Lieutenant

Cool boat project! Would look cool in the red/white .....

on that transom idea, overall, it doesn't look like such a good idea if you want strength....that's just my opinion..........:)

I may have done this if I were to go fwd with your plan, add some more to it!!!!!!!!!!!!.... = sandwich a full sized transom piece inside to help support it all, along with a decently large piece of aluminum plate that goes well down on the outside of the transom and maybye one inside too.... if you could add a top cap and tig weld it in place....
also make sure to glue the new transom wood and seal it all up with fiberglass resin......may hold up then
-
-
transomextension.jpg

Hope this doesn't seem pretensous! Just would hate to see ya stranded due to motor falling off...could happen...

PS just looked a bit back AFTER posting this... and seen knee braces and a smallish transom wood frame, not full back transom....YIKES this idea wouldnt work out! wrong type of boat!
maybye it would be an ok idea for someone else? lol .........ya never know...
Vegas