Another Newbe to Trailering

detanner

Cadet
OK, I just bought a 1993 Cruisers 2670 and found a used Magic Tilt trailer. I'm not sure of the model # but the previous owner had a 28' Bayliner on it. I'm trying to get the info from Cruisers and Magic Tilt to set up the bunks. It only has two. The boat is in the water and has to come out within a couple weeks (they start taking the docks in in October). How do I set the bunks if I can't get the info? Does the keel sit on the cross V bars? They have rubber padding. There has to be some rules on how to set up a trailer. Help!

Dave

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner
Re: Another Newbe to Trailering

Best thing you can do is to go check out some other similar boat and trailer set ups before adjusting anything. Get an idea from similar trailers / boat set ups as to where you need to support. Hard to make any suggestions without seeing it.

D

DJ

How did the boat get in the water in the first place? Does the marina use a hoist with slings?

If so, trailer set up will be a snap.

If not, set the bunks as high as they will go. Lowering is easier that raising, once the boat is sitting on the bunks.

No, the boat does NOT sit on the rubber skids. If it has keel rollers, they should just touch.

bjcsc

Lieutenant Commander

I agree with djohns19. You need to let the marina know you need to set the trailer up when they pull it. That way they may schedule you when they have extra time, or make you last on a given day. They do have a sling hoist, right?

detanner

Cadet

You guys are right. I was talking to a local marina and they recommended that I have them set the boat just above the trailer and then set the bunks. Cost $150 - $200...it's worth it. I did tear the brakes apart. No fluid in the master cylinder. I had to destroy the cap to get it off. The wheel cylinders were rusted. I tried to pop the pistons out with the air compressor, neither moved. A local trailer guy had replacement cylinders ($80) for the two, I know they are on the web for $25 each. I picked up some brake line from the local auto parts guy and will use that in place of the broken flex line. It seems to be comming together. I plan to go south Wednesday and drive the boat 60 miles north to my local marina. At least then, I can try to do some measuring and get a feel for where the bunks should be. Can someone extend the summer season a couple weeks so I can enjoy the boat before I bring it home? Thanks for the help.

Dave

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

sounds like you have it under control. extend the summer, come to Florida.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Hey put me down for a summer extension as well. About 3 months would do me, then 1 say of snow on christmas eve, then a massive thaw on boxing day and straight back into summer.
If only !