1968 Larson All American

coolbri70

Lieutenant Commander
Re: 1968 Larson All American

What's the length of your boat?
18' by the tag and title but i haven't measured but adding what i had in the floor with whats left of the bow i would guess more like 17' did you see my video, the last time out, i thought it was haulin a, well faster than i like to go, i just had to tilt it out some:D

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Ok then, that makes sense. I thought she was more like 14-16'. A 17-18' boat will handle 120hp with no problems. I did see the vid and it was planing pretty good. As long as the Cavitation Plate on the motor is + or - a couple of inches from the keel line you should be fine. Did not realize the added boxes were 1/4". Yer gettin all the kinks worked out for sure.

coolbri70

Lieutenant Commander

Ok then, that makes sense. I thought she was more like 14-16'. A 17-18' boat will handle 120hp with no problems. I did see the vid and it was planing pretty good. As long as the Cavitation Plate on the motor is + or - a couple of inches from the keel line you should be fine. Did not realize the added boxes were 1/4". Yer gettin all the kinks worked out for sure.
thanks, if that kicker causes issues it can just stay on the jon boat i'm searching for that was going to share this motor:D it's only 80or 90 lbs, i carry it pretty easy about 100 yards from the truck to the boat today but had to rest before lifting to the transom as i didn't want to scratch anything. i will try it and if it causes no issues, sure would be handy if something happened to to big motor miles from the launch, if my battery runs dead i can pull start this easy i think and it has its own charging system, i think i will feel much safer not to get stranded

coolbri70

Lieutenant Commander

3 day weekend:D going to work on the boat, still need to do so much:faint2: what to do:confused: well i want to make some adjustments to the trailer, the axle seals, build a fold away table, change the oil in both lower units, design build install guide posts for trailer, plus on the next warm dry evening i want to paint a mural on the side of the boat:watermelon: Baloo the bear floating on his back with mogli on his belly:joyous: cover the rear 1/3 of the boat. where to start?

coolbri70

Lieutenant Commander

made a little stand so i can keep my new to me motor in the garage clean it up and get familiarIMG_20130105_153056.jpgIMG_20130105_153128.jpgIMG_20130105_153442.jpg some scrap wood i had

64osby

Admiral

I had an All American once. When I got it the diagnosis was pretty bad.
Hurricane 10-31-10 007.jpg Hurricane 10-31-10 002.jpg Evinrude  11-25-10 002.jpg

Then I found a do not resuscitate note pinned under the splashwell.

Larson Salvage (1).jpgLarson Salvage.jpg

coolbri70

Lieutenant Commander

coolbri70

Lieutenant Commander

i can wait no longer:rolleyes: tomorrows forcast mid 40s:D bought 9 gallons of boat gas;) i have a kicker to try:eyebrows: and gps to find out how fast i go:whoo:

coolbri70

Lieutenant Commander

tried the kicker today
it worked good 7mph gps

coolbri70

Lieutenant Commander

the kicker did not get in the way of the big motor at all:D
30 mph gps and completely out of the water when on trailering lock

coolbri70

Lieutenant Commander

was a nice day:joyous:tomorrow is supposed to be nice too, but i burned up all my gas

Last edited:

jbcurt00

Staff member

I've never hated a fellow west virginian more :facepalm: W/ Envy!

What a great weekend for a boat ride....

Glad you had a good time... Pix look great!

coolbri70

Lieutenant Commander

i was being brave because i have the backup motor now, and just shoved off without starting it first:rolleyes: so i go to prime and gas squirts out behind the fitting:eek: for some reason first time ever, i brought my portable tool set with me, i will bring it from now on:facepalm: so i was messing with the fuel fitting and the wind blew me into some branches and stuff along the bank, so i switched the fuel line to the kicker and went a ways upriver, found a clear sunny spot, to work on the main engine, and dropped anchor. the fuel line is stiff and worn at the end so i cut off 1/2" and shoved it back on the fitting, this fixed my leak so i could switch back to the main engine:D and cruise the river all day. burned 20 gallons today:faint2:

coolbri70

Lieutenant Commander

im allways in the boat once it's in the water, never really payed attention to see how it looks sitting in the water. yesterday i took the time, and a couple pics 010.jpg012.jpg did some exploring, i went up the river untill it gets shallow, tilted the main engine up on the trailering bracket, put the kicker down and was able to go upriver all the way to dam #5. water levels were up, i was able to go from dam#4 to dam#5. i have seen #4 plenty of times, but normaly have to turn around a couple miles before #5

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

She Looks GREAT in the water. You should be feeling purdy good!!!!

blackhawk180

Petty Officer 1st Class

I just ran across this thread and read it cover to cover. That is the exact boat I grew up with and loved it. Great handling boat, I must have put several thousand miles on it before my dad decided he wanted a bow rider. I never forgave him for selling it. Thanks for the memory flashback! I'm sure you will have many enjoyable days on the water with that old girl.

coolbri70

Lieutenant Commander

She Looks GREAT in the water. You should be feeling purdy good!!!!

Thanks, gets some looks, where i go boating the oldest boats i see are from the 80s, and half of those guys are floating around by the ramp with thier cowls removed. shes not super fast, 30mph gps. but i normally go 20 or so, love the way the runabouts are laid out, the short closed bow makes me feel safer and the large open passenger area seems so practical, love it, you can't get them like this new, why did they stop making them? you can still get a closed bow, but its half the length of the boat, takes away from passenger space. i can fish off the bow standing behind the steering wheel, yet if for some reason, i take a nose dive into a wake, got splashed but not swamped:D. also, less than $2500 in it, mostly polyester resin. i was watching a guy wiping down his boat, i said to the wife, thats a nice boat, she said " he's probably still making payments"

coolbri70

Lieutenant Commander

Does that require transiting locks? Plus one on looking good in the water. Good luck!

no locks, just normally have to turn around a couple miles before as its shallow with rock and strong current, but the river was up so much it was deep enough for the first time so i explored:D this is dam 5, normally where im floating is a few inches deep with rocks everywhere 052.jpg the down side of the dam