1968 Larson All American

coolbri70

Lieutenant Commander
Re: 1968 Larson All American

hope 3rd try is a charm,:rolleyes:1342744541462.jpg1342744596238.jpg1342744572119.jpg1342744625292.jpgso from the 1st hole to the 2nd then skipped to the 4th only to go back to the 3rd:facepalm:

coolbri70

Lieutenant Commander

so i think its set up good now, will find out next splash:rolleyes:, now starting to get it ready to paint, just the cap for now the hull can be polished, after i get rid of this bottom paint laying on my back sanding upside down, i did a small area after i finished sanding the cap today not fun going to take some hours:facepalm: looked like a big smurf when i put away the tools today. the cap will be easy just a few small imperfections to fill in and some spot sanding and its ready to tape off and spray:D then i will work on getting rid of the bottom paint, stuff is nasty, the vibrating sander takes it off but takes a while, wonder if belt sander would be better:confused: afraid it might remove too much too fast

coolbri70

Lieutenant Commander

new addition, found this ladder on CL for $10:D 1343173542338.jpg1343173551012.jpg the bumpers need shortened but otherwise good fit

jbcurt00

Staff member

Good to hear you're getting close on the motor adjustments. Hope #3 is the sweet spot:)

coolbri70

Lieutenant Commander

been sanding for days every car on my block has dust on it:facepalm: it will be smooth

coolbri70

Lieutenant Commander

the sun has not been kind to the cap, mostly on top where it gets the most, i think i can polish the hull but the top i'm painting, i tried some krylon fusion on the top of the gunnel in a spot and where i sistered the splashwell, it seems to be holding up very well even with me walking on it, so i'm painting the cap with it, it has taken 5 cans for the first coat, so its going to be expensive, but i'm thinking if i'm out and get a scratch or scuff, i can just stop by wallmart grab a spray bomb easy touch up:D so here goes:rolleyes:

coolbri70

Lieutenant Commander

thanks, i like how it turned out:D it's no pro job but it hides my repair work, and its shiny:D, and i can touch it without getting blue hands, the gelcoat was so dry it would color your hands:facepalm: now i need to get a buffer i tried polishing the hull by hand:mad: got a little 1' patch done and decided i need machinery:p

jbcurt00

Staff member

Looks good. How did you get that much coverage w/ 1 can of flake? Since the blue took 11 cans?? :confused: ??

coolbri70

Lieutenant Commander

Looks good. How did you get that much coverage w/ 1 can of flake? Since the blue took 11 cans?? :confused: ??
i didn't want to cover it in flake, just a lite dusting, i should have used more clear though, i will see how it holds up

coolbri70

Lieutenant Commander

got to try the new engine height today made a vid,

Willyclay

Captain

Looks good and sounds good to me during a very nice day on a beautiful river! I guess John Denver was right; Almost Heaven, WV.

coolbri70

Lieutenant Commander

had a enjoyable boating season in reward for all the hard work. many thanks to the iboats forums:joyous: towards the end of the summer i managed to stop boating long enough to try different engine positions. different heights then trim it out all the way till it blows out (loses traction). what i found, the higher i mount the motor, the less i can tilt it out, before it blows out. the more i tilt the motor out, the higher the bow rides. the higher the bow is the faster i go:happy:. in the end i lowered the motor all the way so i can trim it out the most 3rd hole up seems to get me 5000 rpm at wot made this video
on the 4th hole i can get 5500 rpm, but it takes several trys to get on plane without blowing out, but man does it fly:cool: think i understand the benifit of power trim, might be a future project

Willyclay

Captain

think i understand the benifit of power trim, might be a future project

Thanks for the update. I was wondering what you ever did with the mounting height. You might report your findings in a new thread over in the Prop forum because those experts might be able to save you some $$$$ with a new prop instead of PT&T. Good Luck!

coolbri70

Lieutenant Commander

i've decided to get a kicker motor for back up, so the search is on:rolleyes: i would prefer a matching evinrude between 4 and 15 hp, but for the right price i may mix brands:facepalm: if i do i would like to be able to use the same fuel mix, and keep away from obsolete motors that parts aren't available for. what should i avoid:confused:

coolbri70

Lieutenant Commander

Merry Christmas to me, a bit late but i had to find the right canidate:Dit ran in a bucket good and has electric start and 15hp upgrade plus 9.9 parts included

IMG_20130101_134551.jpgIMG_20130101_133436.jpgIMG_20130101_133508.jpgIMG_20130101_110047.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Hmm, All that weight on such a small runabout. I suspect it will affect the handling somewhat. For a boat of that vintage, size and style, I'd suspect that it was rated for not over 70 hp. Not just for the handling but also for the weight. Have you considered any of that. Thie cavitation plate on the motor should be at the same level as the lowest point on the stern (prolly the keel), or just a bit below. To get the bow up you need to tilt the lower leg of the motor out. The Re-Design you did on the interior with the Storage lockers and placing the fuel tanks below the deck level has changed the weight, balance and dynamics of the way the boat was originally designed and will to some degree change how she planes out. That's why I always recommend putting it back the way she was. Those Boat Designers really DO know what they're doing when they design a hull. It's your boat and you can do what you want but changes sometimes have negative effects on the outcome. But hey, I'm just a...
OldDumbOkie.jpg

coolbri70

Lieutenant Commander

Hmm, All that weight on such a small runabout. I suspect it will affect the handling somewhat. For a boat of that vintage, size and style, I'd suspect that it was rated for not over 70 hp. Not just for the handling but also for the weight. Have you considered any of that. Thie cavitation plate on the motor should be at the same level as the lowest point on the stern (prolly the keel), or just a bit below. To get the bow up you need to tilt the lower leg of the motor out. The Re-Design you did on the interior with the Storage lockers and placing the fuel tanks below the deck level has changed the weight, balance and dynamics of the way the boat was originally designed and will to some degree change how she planes out. That's why I always recommend putting it back the way she was. Those Boat Designers really DO know what they're doing when they design a hull. It's your boat and you can do what you want but changes sometimes have negative effects on the outcome. But hey, I'm just a...
OldDumbOkie.jpg
the tag on the transom 120hp max, the mods in the stern are made from less than 1 sheet of 1/4" fg reinforced ply and the floor under the bench and locker in 1/4" ply to offset the weight since no one walks on it, so far i'm pleased with the handling, don't let her find out i told this but she weighs more than me, and most of the fuel is on the port side, i have to cling to the starbord gunwale to try to keep the boat from leaning port when she is with me:facepalm: i hope this extra 80 pounds on my side will help