115hp evinrude wont start

rolando

Recruit
i bought a boat with a 115hp evinude 1976. and it wont start, first i found i had really weak spark i put new spark plugs in still the same looked at the rectifier the red wire was all corrode so i replaced it now i have spark. still wont fire i can spray fuel in the clyinders and it still wont fire getting very angry please help

D

DJ

Re: 115hp evinrude wont start

You need several things to make it run.

1. Compression. Over 100 psi and even (within 10% of each other).

2. Spark, at the right time.

3. Fuel.

One of those is missing.

rolando

Recruit

how do i check if it is firing on the right cylinder???

D

DJ

Read the list in order. If you have NO/Little compression, spark is secondary.

To answer your question, you get/make a spark checker. Or, you leave the #1 spark plug hanging out of the head-grounded-and see when it fires. You will be much farther ahead renting or using a timing light.

The only way that spark timing changes (typically) is if your flywheel key is sheared. If someone has had the flywheel off, recently, that is a very distinct possibility.

rolando

Recruit

i checked compression i have 110psi on all cyl verying a little per cyl but only a few psi

D

DJ

i checked compression i have 110psi on all cyl verying a little per cyl but only a few psi

Great! That's very good.

Now, we need to concentrate on #'s 2 & 3.

I doubt your timing and spark is bad. Fuel is another issue.

Just because you are spraying fuel into the carb's, is it getting past the throttle butterflies?

rolando

Recruit

i sprayed fuel into the cylinders and put the plugs back in what controls the timing are there points

rainman99

Petty Officer 1st Class

One more important thing is a good well charged battery and good tight connections for good spark.

rolando

Recruit

i am getting good spark, i was wondering are these motors reed valve injected could i have a reeds hanging up or bad, i see in the parts tear down there are by pass covers are these like reeds