Mark Twain Restore!!

boatflipper

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Mark Twain Restore!!

Thanks woosterken-that was a very insightful article.
One of the mods should make that a sticky!!

boatflipper

Chief Petty Officer

So i am thinking about what kind of wood to use for my stringers....
The fiberglass around them is in really good shape so I would like to just cut the top off, scrape out the wood and put new back in, then fiberglass over the top...sound like a plan???
The center stringer measures 1 1/4 inches wide so shoud I get two sheets of 5/8 plywood and slide it in? That sounds like the most logical approach at the moment. I could probably use the trimmings off the deck because I plan on using 5/8 for the floor.

003-1.jpg

The two outside stringers are also 1 1/4 inches wide, however the 4 short ones running the width of the boat are 1 3/4 inches wide. I guess i could use one sheet of 1 inch and one sheet of 3/4.

Waiting on the snow and rain to stop so I can go get some plywood!

BobsGlasstream

Commander

boatflipper,
I would at least pre-cote the wood with resin and perhaps some glass mat to make sure it's sealed, prior to putting it in the boat as you described.
They also say you should bed your new stringers in, to avoid hard spots.
Food for thought.
Bob

boatflipper

Chief Petty Officer

Bob- i was planning on coating them...probably should've mentioned that in the post. could i just use some 4200 to bed them down or do i need to make me a batch of 'peanut buter'?

BobsGlasstream

Commander

Hey boatflipper,
Most folks just use PL premium from Lowe's or HD it's a lot cheaper then 4200 and works fine. For a large tube it's only $6-7. You will need several of the large tubes. I think I used 3 or 4 myself.
Good luck
Bob

tallcanadian

Captain

The fiberglass around them is in really good shape so I would like to just cut the top off, scrape out the wood and put new back in, then fiberglass over the top...sound like a plan???
The center stringer measures 1 1/4 inches wide so shoud I get two sheets of 5/8 plywood and slide it in? That sounds like the most logical approach at the moment. I could probably use the trimmings off the deck because I plan on using 5/8 for the floor.

003-1.jpg

The two outside stringers are also 1 1/4 inches wide, however the 4 short ones running the width of the boat are 1 3/4 inches wide. I guess i could use one sheet of 1 inch and one sheet of 3/4.

Waiting on the snow and rain to stop so I can go get some plywood!

My stringers were big like yours. My centre one was a 2X6, so I repaced it with the same. My four outer stringers were 2X4, so I replaced with the same. I was lucky enough to get my hands on kiln dried lumber. Very light and very dry.

boatflipper

Chief Petty Officer

My stringers were big like yours. My centre one was a 2X6, so I repaced it with the same. My four outer stringers were 2X4, so I replaced with the same. I was lucky enough to get my hands on kiln dried lumber. Very light and very dry.

I wish mine were that common! my actual dimensions are: 4x1.25 (2 outer), 9x1.25 (center), and 8x1.75 (4 width-running stringers). I think im going to use plywood bonded together and coated with resin....

tallcanadian

Captain

I wish mine were that common! my actual dimensions are: 4x1.25 (2 outer), 9x1.25 (center), and 8x1.75 (4 width-running stringers). I think im going to use plywood bonded together and coated with resin....

Wow, 9" center. Almost seems like a waste of space. Hmmm, I smell ski locker or rod locker storage.

boatflipper

Chief Petty Officer

Wow, 9" center. Almost seems like a waste of space. Hmmm, I smell ski locker or rod locker storage.

My thoughts exactly!! I actually posted that thought when I first began the resto. The only problem now is I dont know exactly where to put it:eek: Since the cap and seats are no longer in it I have no way of knowing the logical place to put one....

tallcanadian

Captain

You will have to do some fancy measuring. I know if I had my time back I would have put a rod locker in for sure. I'm sure you have a good idea though, but it seems like so much space not used.

boatflipper

Chief Petty Officer

Well folks-the snow has stopped for the moment so that means its time to go after the plywood! Yipee:D
I am getting 4 sheets of 5/8 for the deck and 2 sheets of 3/4 for the transom. Sound like a plan?
Also will be getting some PL premium.
Spent a couple hours last night getting everything ready to order from fiberglass supply and US composites so hopefully that will get done tonight.
Wish me luck!!

boatflipper

Chief Petty Officer

Well folks I made some major strides this after noon. I got my plywood from 84 lumber today, got to my shop, grabbed a piece of pecan pie and a can of mt. dew and went to work!! :D
I apologize-I did not have my camera with me so no pics:redface: but I can tell ya what happened!
First I began the process of cutting the transom. I traced the design from the outside and began cutting it down untill it fit. A question I do have is-What is the desired amount of space between hull and bottom of transom (min-max)?
Once I got the transom cut to size I realized that there was not much room between bottom of transom and the corners of the hull (kinda hard to explain without pics). I measured from outer skin to said outside corners and it is only 1 1/4 inches. So my idea of a 1 1/2 inch transom is gone with the wind. I am now going to get a sheet of 1/2 inch ply which will give me 1 1/4 inches.
Second, I began cutting the ply for the deck. I am using 5/8 for the deck which will give me a good, strong floor.
Also have stringers ready to fill with new wood-just waiting on temp to warm up a bit so i can coat them with resin and cap the stringers with fiberglass cloth. I have a wood burner and a propane 'reddy-heater' so i just may fire them up if i get real antsy (which i will).

Until next time-happy restoring!

BobsGlasstream

Commander

Hey boatflipper,
Sounds like you are moving along now.
I'm not sure there is a min/max dimension. Most just say get it as close as possible and use PB to fill the gap.
Most transoms are 1.5 - 2.25" thick including outer/inner skin. My I/o required 2"-2.25"
We still want pic's. :D
Bob

boatflipper

Chief Petty Officer

hey Bob-
Thanks again for the info. I figured I could fill the gaps with the PL i picked up but i just wanted to be sure. My actual transom core is going to have to be 1 1/4 inches so after inner and outer skins are considers it should be an easy 1 1/2, probably more.
I will definitely get some pics ASAP!!

Spinnaker

Petty Officer 1st Class

hey Bob-
Thanks again for the info. I figured I could fill the gaps with the PL i picked up but i just wanted to be sure. My actual transom core is going to have to be 1 1/4 inches so after inner and outer skins are considers it should be an easy 1 1/2, probably more.

Sorry I popped in on this thread way late in the game so I need to ask, how are you laminating the ply for the transom and I read that you are filling gaps with PL. What gaps and why pl? Why not structural putty? I'm 15 years building luxury yachts so maybe I can add a a few suggestions.
Oh yes, and pictures too please. :)

Spinnaker

Petty Officer 1st Class

I need to say, bad idea! If I'm reading correctly you plan on removing the wood and leaving a fiberglass shell to reinsert the wood into? Sounds like you are trying to save yourself from doing some glass work. If that is the case I can show you a couple photos of how to do this properly. Not to say you don't already know and I don't mean to seem like I'm hijacking your thread.

doomone

Recruit
Re: Mark Twain Restore!! Thanks dude!

hey Bob-

Hi there! I'm newbie here & I came across tour thread. Took me some time to finish reading it, but kudos to all your hard work & free tips. You really inspired me to do the same thing. Good luck with yer boat & God bless ya!:)

p/s - from now on, I'm gonna be a fan of this thread:p

boatflipper

Chief Petty Officer

spinnaker-
any and all suggestions are ALWAYS welcome. please-FLOOD (no pun intended) me with suggestions becasue I am by far no expert in the boat restoration industry. I have been around boats since I could properly function but never did this much work to one.
I would love to hear the benefits of using structural putty vs PL to fill the gap between the transom core and bottom of hull as previosly mentioned.
Also-some pictures of leaving the fiberglass shell and putting new in would be excellent as well!

boatflipper

Chief Petty Officer

Hi there! I'm newbie here & I came across tour thread. Took me some time to finish reading it, but kudos to all your hard work & free tips. You really inspired me to do the same thing. Good luck with yer boat & God bless ya!:)

p/s - from now on, I'm gonna be a fan of this thread:p

thanks doomone-
the only reason i have come as far as i have is becasue of this excellent site. if i hadnt known any better i probably wouldve just slapped some plywood over top of the old and kept on but boy have i learned the real way to do it!!
if you ever have any questions-dont be afraid to ask-that is what this forum is for. there are no stupid questions!