'79 Starcraft SS 16 restoration

Status
Not open for further replies.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
Re: '79 Starcraft SS 16 restoration

Fan going, door open, wearing masks.....sheesh! I didn't even think the stuff smelled and I was in an enclosed garage, no mask, hunched over the open can! Wussies :p

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Fan going, door open, wearing masks.....sheesh! I didn't even think the stuff smelled and I was in an enclosed garage, no mask, hunched over the open can! Wussies :p

Don't worry Huron, the ticks and drooling will be in EZ's very near future, then you can return the favor.:D

Huron Angler

Admiral

Don't worry Huron, the ticks and drooling will be in EZ's very near future, then you can return the favor.:D

LOL :D I could smell the chemicals a little bit(they can still hurt you even if it is odorless BTW)...and Roslynn is a real stickler for using proper safety gear.;)

The gluvit was still VERY tacky this morning...temps are all over the chart here these days. Frost on the windshield in the morning and high 60s in the afternoon. Typical for Michigan.

I ran a small electric heater to keep the temps in the mid 50s while applying the gluvit last night. Hopefully we can open the garage door later and let it cure in the sun a bit.

I'm going to be cutting a new piece of plywood for the bow deck tonight. The template that my "helper" made was off by a smidge:)

Epoxy will be on the deck which will hopefully be screwed down by the end of the week...I get a paid day off this friday and we are supposed to have 80 degree weather:D

I want to splash this thing!!!

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

I disagree. If it doesn't smell it couldn't possibly hurt you :p Ok maybe it could...

Anyway, Gluvit takes a WHILE to dry so don't fret.

Glad to see I'm not the only one who cut 2 bow decks.

Huron Angler

Admiral

I spent the day waiting for my gluvit to dry and dreaming about taking the rig out. The weather is killing me and I keep seeing more and more boats out and about. I can't take out either rig since I decided to gluvit them the same night.

I guess I will be paddling my canoe around if I need to wet some lines(I'm not much for bank fishing).

Spartans are back on the court again soon too...so not much hope for finishing the rig this weekend:rolleyes::D

86 century

Ensign

Well HA Butler should relieve you of your spartan problem tomorrow. How do you guys get your wifes to do this stuff mine will clean a horse stall, bail hay, kill and butcher a chicken but if i gave a blue can and paint brush I would get that are you stupid look. You guys are lucky

Huron Angler

Admiral

Well HA Butler should relieve you of your spartan problem tomorrow. How do you guys get your wifes to do this stuff mine will clean a horse stall, bail hay, kill and butcher a chicken but if i gave a blue can and paint brush I would get that are you stupid look. You guys are lucky

LOL should be a good game today, we'll see who comes out on top. I could use the extra time to work on the boat, but we might as well win it all since we've come so far already:)

Roslynn likes helping out, I wish I had a special secret to help you out:confused:

I took the little boat out today and the gluvit worked well, it has cured and I'm ready to start getting the deck laid down. As soon as it's epoxied of course.

My buddy says he can get a 40% discount maybe so I'm waiting to see before buying it.

86 century

Ensign

I was joking about the bulldogs i didn't think they had a chance.

Huron Angler

Admiral

Congratulations to the Butler Bulldogs...back to boats:D

I got out on the water today(in my 12' AeroCraft) and had a blast, caught some largemouth bass and generally satisfied my desire to fish enough so I can get back to working on the boat until its done.

DSCF5812.jpg

Got some foam cut to size for the stringer area. I will be adding the noodles around the sides and some more foam in the bow. I cut this so it barely fit in between the stringers. It should hopefully be solid and quiet.

DSCF5824.jpg

DSCF5823.jpg

DSCF5822.jpg

I'm heading out to my grandfather-in-laws early tomorrow...we've got two boat trailers to rebuild quickly. One I am selling tomorrow, one is for my 12' tinny. I might be taking the Starcraft trailer down to his place later on since he is set up to paint vehicles in one of his garages.

He was telling me about a black paint he uses over rust that works great. We could coat it with a different color after that if we wanted but good to prevent rust. This is a product that is better than rustoleum and sounds like a good way to go.

I'm off to test fit the deck, consoles. windshield and bow structure so that we can make a template for the bow seats.:)

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Hey AndyInNY, eat your heart out! HA just posted THREE pics of 2 chunks of foam he stuck in his bilge :D:p

That paint is probably POR 15 and Tim Fives also said it's really good stuff. I used the Rusto stuff on the large support beam of my house in my basement and it worked really well.

Yes, definitely test fit everything early and often so you don't end up with a windshield alignment issue like I did.

Huron Angler

Admiral

I'm sorry to say that my weekend was dominated by working on trailers for my AeroCraft(see that thread for the thilling details:rolleyes:) so I have no major progress to report:redface:

I did find out that I won't be getting any discounts on paint or epoxy since the store my buddy's brother runs unfortunately does not stock resin or any paint besides house paint.

So knowing that I can go ahead and throw down some cash on some resin tomorrow and get back to work.

I've got the foam in the rig already but I'm debating backing the boat into a ramp still winched on the trailer to check for leaks. What do you guys think? The gluvit is down so it should be all set but if not I'd like to know prior to screwing the deck down permanently:eek:

After my bearing debacles with the other trailers I will be replacing both on the Shoreland'r and installing bearing buddies to make it easy to top off the grease.

As I mentioned in my other thread...I'm starting to hate trailers with a passion, can't wait to sell one for a nice profit, have my dad drag the other up north and I'll be down to just the 2 good real boat trailers:D

Huron Angler

Admiral

BTW Jeremy...Andy doesn't visit this side of the tracks:p

Did you guys have a debate going on how much foam fits in the stringers?

Huron Angler

Admiral

Good news! My budget for finishing the rig is looking better by the second.:D

I am selling a trailer for $150 later today(profit of $100) and I now have another $1000 to cover any remaining expenses. Mostly epoxy resin and stainless steel fasteners.

If I can keep my costs down I should have plenty leftover for additional accessories like a flare gun, horn, marine speakers, new lures, a new spotlight, some more high quality fireline, and maybe a bow cover.

I am keeping some cash on the side for the Merc to get looked at by my local dealer. I'd like to get it turn-key and have my WOT issues addressed.

I have the house to myself until friday so I will be getting quite a bit accomplished in the next couple days if all goes as planned. I might try to convince some of my fishing buddies to help but they are allergic to work so we'll see about that:rolleyes:

I'm also going to try to track down a locking pedestal base for my helm seat and a longer post for the bow.

One more thing I'm excited about is possibly buying this motor for $100 later today. It is a longshaft so it'd be a perfect kicker even in some rollers and the price couldn't be better. Keeping my fingers crossed;)
http://lansing.craigslist.org/boa/1679867953.html

Can't wait to start

Attachments

• johnson6hp.jpg
    johnson6hp.jpg
    8.5 KB · Views: 0

mike64

Lieutenant Junior Grade

...One more thing I'm excited about is possibly buying this motor for $100 later today. It is a longshaft so it'd be a perfect kicker even if some rollers and the price couldn't be better. Keeping my fingers crossed;)
http://lansing.craigslist.org/boa/1679867953.html

Can't wait to start

"Post deleted by author"

Hope that means you called the guy up right after your post and made an offer!

Anyway, nice job on the resto so far! Between your resto thread and Kenny's, I'm definitely considering crossing over to the Starcraft side next boat I buy (or at least some style of tinny :))

Huron Angler

Admiral

"Post deleted by author"

Hope that means you called the guy up right after your post and made an offer!

Anyway, nice job on the resto so far! Between your resto thread and Kenny's, I'm definitely considering crossing over to the Starcraft side next boat I buy (or at least some style of tinny :))

Hey thanks for the compliment! The starcraft armada always has room for another vessel in the fleet:)

Keep in mind that Smokercraft, Sea Nymph, Blue Fin and Sylvan are all basically the same old aluminum hulls that Starcraft patented originally. Plenty of authentic SC's around especially here in Michigan.

I emailed the seller within minutes of the posting...haven't heard back yet but I'm optimistic that I might get a phone call later today. I won't be trying to talk him down on the price, I just want to buy it at face value:p

Huron Angler

Admiral

How long will I need to wait after the first coat of epoxy is applied to my deck before putting on the second coat?

I'm guessing two days but I'm curious if folks let it cure even longer to make sure. I am aware that the temp has a lot to do with this, it should be around 65-70 degrees in my garage when I apply the resin.

Thanks for any input on this:)

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

24 hours should be ample time. I did sand between coats as the first one had lots of air bubbles and rough spots. The second coat then looked like a mirror!

Huron Angler

Admiral

24 hours should be ample time. I did sand between coats as the first one had lots of air bubbles and rough spots. The second coat then looked like a mirror!

Sounds good, that's what I was hoping to hear:D

I'm considering using the grey coated deck screws for the deck, since I removed about 30 of them from my pathetic converted box trailer(BTW I'm proud to say...that trailer will NEVER be used as a boat trailer again, it is going to be strictly for moving lumber and gravel around up north for the remainder of it's life;)) last night and none had any rust.

Keep in mind that this trailer was outside all winter, I didn't even coat the screws with anything to seal them, and they were in raw untreated 2x4s. If that's any indication of how they should hold up coated in epoxy under my vinyl then they should last for quite some time.

HopeSheFloats

Lieutenant Commander

I like the idea of checking for leaks before you button her up...

I shouldn't of caught up on your thread just yet as I'm just now starting into my trailer. Not planning on much more than checking/greasing the bearings, new bunk wood and some paint touch-up, but... the Mrs keeps pushing for new led lights and if I cave{lol} I might as well do the wiring and...:eek:

Got an estimate on how much{sizes & quanity} of foam she handled? Wondering if I bought enough.

Btw, lol, I could hear your box trailer's sigh of relief ;)

Stratosman86

Petty Officer 2nd Class

HA,
I second EZ's post. 24 hours and sand between coats, I used 150 grit. Mine are all done as of yesterday and they turned out nice,shiny and smooth, as well as hard as a rock! Took 1.5 gallons total, 1 of epoxy and a 1/2 hardener. The measured pumps were a great 10 dollar investment, 2 pumps of epoxy ans 1 pump of hardener.

Darren

Status
Not open for further replies.