Why go with an I/O?

Jay E

Recruit
Hi All,

I've been lurking for a while and am getting ready to buy a boat. I have a lot of experience with small boats (25hp or less) but I know very little about larger boats. I am looking to purchase an 18' - 20' runabout, but I am not sure what type of power source to go with (I/O verses outboard). I've gotten a lot of time on an I/O the last 3 years using a friends boat (which he has offered to sell me, but that is for a different post) but other than driving it I know very little about them.

What are the pros/cons of an I/O verses an outboard ... ease of maintenance, cost of ownership, reliability, blah blah blah.

I would apreciate any insight than anyone can offer, please just don't turn it into a bash fest of one over another.

Thanks,

Jay

Huron Angler

Admiral
Re: Why go with an I/O?

One advantage of an outboard is that it is easier to remove and repower with a newer outboard if necessary. Folks that are good at working on car engines like IO's since they are similar is many regards.

I like outboards since you can always buy an empty hull that may or may not need some work and throw an outboard on it and go. Both types have their strong suits...really depends on your needs.

Welcome to the forums and Good luck:)

jtybt

Senior Chief Petty Officer

...and that's pretty much the long and short of it.

Brew2

Chief Petty Officer

I've recently changed from many years as an outboard owner to an I/O.

The couple things that strike me most about the difference between them are....

For a "smaller" boat, the outboard left a lot more floor space. To get the same floor space you'd need an extra couple feet of boat in an I/O.

If you are a DIY'r, the maintenance/repairs on the outboard seemed a lot simpler to me. Having said that, I don't have much experience in automotive repair, so maybe someone who does would find the reverse.

The swim platform on the back of most I/O's is great for the family....kids love jumping off it.

In the end you can't really go wrong with either....as long as it gets you on the water, life is good!!

system-f

I have owned a 73 115hp evinrude on a 16ft trihull and currently own a 17' closed bow v-hull with a 165 hp Merc. In/out. I prefer the in/out because:

1. People can sit on each side of the engine and have a conversation while cruising down the lake at 25-30mph.

2. I did a valve job, head gasket, and had the head resurfaced for less than $200 in a weekend AND the parts were all in stock and less than 10 miles away. This was because of auto experience, though. I would think most outboards are easy to work on, but having the parts readily available is another story.

3. Although some may gain space with an outboard in my experience the splash well took up a lot of space. With my current I/O I have seating on each side of it, and can use the top of the engine cover to lie on, sit, put stuff, etc.

4. I can change the alternator to one with more power. Some might find this stupid, but I want a stereo that we can enjoy while skiing (while being respectful of course) and the alternator in an outboard is very fix...in my I/O since it is so similar to a cars I can have my starter/alt shop upgrade it.

BUT....I would rather have an inboard...

In the end you can't really go wrong with either....as long as it gets you on the water, life is good!!
X eleventy billion

oceansbreeze

Petty Officer 1st Class

these are my 2 cents on the matter. This i/o vs o/b is a touchy and often heated debate subject on the forums at times.... and it's been kicked around lots...

pros/cons of outboards, lighter, easier access for service, can trim it up out of the water (handy when near rocky area or shallow areas), more floor space, more fuel efficient in some cases... and it fills that gap from 50-140hp range nicely since i/o's usually start at 140hp. My personal useage never warrants 140hp, so paying for that extra HP to have an i/o is pointless to me. I also never got the whole "let's make a boat, solid and seaworthy, then, cut a big whole in the back for the engine" .... I like my hull solid. I had a chriscraft 18 footer 10 years ago with a leak around the bellows somewhere, never did figure it out. cost $1500 in mechanic fees... With my outboard, I know I have a solid hull, and won't have to worry about leaks on the transom. I really can't think of any cons here....

inboard/outboard pros/cons.... well, chicks like these better! Amen. they are prettier to look at, although the engine is a LOT heavier than the o/b it's a car engine, and lots of people can work on these by themself. Lost floor space due to the engine, whole through transom issue as mentioned... usually you can get 2-3 cup holders on the engine cover, this is a big pro. (every boat needs cup holders) quieter running (usually... but todays outboards are really quiet too) the lists really could go on and on

erikgreen

Captain

Without speaking in generalities, here's my own specific reasons for going with an I/O.

Price and availability.

That's it. I wanted a 20-ish foot boat with a 100+ horse engine, and I had a choice of either paying $4000+ for a boat with one large outboard, assuming I could find a 20 foot outboard boat for sale, or I could buy one of the many I/O boats for sale for $500 needing a new engine. So I went cheap.

The I/O units require much more maintenance work than outboards or inboards, and they're more complicated (== more stuff to fail). But properly maintained they work well.

Given a choice of three identical boats at the same price with I/O, Inboard, and outboard power I'd buy the inboard first, no hesitation. Then the outboard, last the I/O. Inboard engines are easier to work on than outboards, and they have the simplest drive train (least stuff to break) so they are reliable if given basic care. They also have open deck and transom space in the boat rear, which is nice for a lot of things.

Outboards require little maintenance and since they're modular you can repower a boat by putting on a different outboard. They're expensive items though, especially the larger ones, and they block the middle transom.

I/Os have the worst features of both :) But they're cheap and easy to come by.

Erik

sdoomaha

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Many moons ago 2 stroke vs 4 stroke was one of the deciding factors for many folks...but as I said...that is obviously no longer the case.

One thing to also consider is winterizing. If you like to boat/ fish late into the fall, an O/B is much easier to care for between trips when the weather gets below freezing. If sitting outside, the I/O block has to be drained between each trip...and you need rubber arms and a lot of luck to reach the drains and then not drop them on my 4.3. I only want to have to winterize it once per year so it sits in the garage where it stays plenty warm until mid Nov and then gets winterized.

I have owned both, fishing boat...I prefer an outboard...pleasure boat....I prefer an I/O for the reasons already discussed. Since I couldnt afford one of each..I settled on a fish and ski.

Congratulations you're in a position to by a boat and get to make a decision...and I hope you love whatever you decide on.

QC

Supreme Mariner

I lust for a fast OB powered boat, but my standard, sexist answer to this is "chicks don't dig OBs" . . .

Fishermark

Vice Admiral

What Eric said. :D

If you check out the price for a new 250 horse outboard here on Iboats - it will set you back over $17,000. OR you can buy a brand new Sterndrive Engineering outdrive for $1,200 and a new crate truck engine 350 from Chevy for $1,500 or so - add another $1,000 for new manifolds, etc and you are still looking at far less for comparable power.

Mike Robinson

Some excellent points made here.

I also like having a gasoline powered engine out of the bilge. For that reason and others that have already been mentioned I prefer an outboard.

krisnowicki

Lieutenant Junior Grade

If all else fails I/O will be better bang for your buck. I am repowering my I/O right now I am replacing everything and will be under 5k and around 260-300 hp.... This is not possible with an outboard.

Tacklewasher

Lieutenant Commander

I have owned both, fishing boat...I prefer an outboard...pleasure boat....I prefer an I/O for the reasons already discussed.

Pretty much my thoughts as well.

I have an O/B because I like to fish and like to fish in the middle of winter. Just make sure I put the leg back down when I park the boat and I don't have freezing issues.

If I was just tubing and stuff, I'd go with an I/O or maybe an inboard.

QC

Supreme Mariner

True inboards require less maintenance, but they are slow and inefficient (kinda the same thing) . . .

grahamh

Petty Officer 2nd Class

For me, I/Os are better bang for the buck, to get an outboard with the power I want (150ish) put a lot of boats out of my budget, since I don't like 2 strokes, I would have had to buy something new and expensive.

Plus, I have automotive experiance, like everyone said, that helps out with an I/O a lot.

Jay E

Recruit

If all else fails I/O will be better bang for your buck. I am repowering my I/O right now I am replacing everything and will be under 5k and around 260-300 hp.... This is not possible with an outboard.

Excuse my ignorance but is that just the engine or does that include the outdrive as well?

Thanks all for the input I definitly apreciate it.

Jay

H8tank

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Which sounds better, a weed eater or a muscle car?

jkust

Rear Admiral

Having bowriders with one of each, our I/O is more family friendly, much quieter, uses a lot less gas/holds a lot more gas and is more expensive to maintain and winterize.

Howard Sterndrive

Rear Admiral

Excuse my ignorance but is that just the engine or does that include the outdrive as well?

Thanks all for the input I definitly apreciate it.

Jay

can answer you rquestion about 1 quote with another quote:

you can buy a brand new Sterndrive Engineering outdrive for $1,200 and a new crate truck engine 350 from Chevy for $1,500 or so - add another $1,000 for new manifolds, etc and you are still looking at far less for comparable power.

new engine and new drive =$3700