outdrive hit a log at 23 miles per help

bolo78910

Chief Petty Officer
hello again new problem again guys, need your inputs.

well yesterday morning i install a new four blade 18 pitch prop, i could not wait to head out to the reef about 20 miles ride,.

at about 3200 rpm i was doing 23 miles per gps boat sounding the best i ever hear it purr, man she was purring.

anyway there was a lot or floating object coming out of the bay so i was real careful.

but now iam in the open ocean at 23 miles per wam i ran over a floating log, boat start vibrating like crazy, there was a marina close by so i just keep it at idle speed and head to the dock.

lift the drive up and one blade bent real bad, i get down on my belly and put on my back up prop which is a larger pitch at 21 so i know this is too large,

anyway i still have 16 miles to go so i start heading out the boat sound great and runs great, but when i was at the reef and put her in reverse at first it just rev then back to nutral and reverse again it goes in with no problem,

on the way home there was no problem at the dock it goes in reverse real nice,

now /??? should i be concern the drive might be broken??

that was sopose to be my last trip but i dont want to put away the boat like that not knowing if i should fix something over the winter.

i plan on taking one last trip to be shore, i have towing servis so if something broke out here i will get tow in. lol hope not.

so guys wht would you all do in this case????

thanks

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner
Re: outdrive hit a log at 23 miles per help

If it engages in forward and reverse and you have checked the lubricants and any case damage, I would check to see if the prop shaft is bent. You should be able to spin the prop, in nuetral and watch for the blades to wobble. If they do not, I would go for it at a moderate speed. Then give it a thourough going over before you go out again.

If it is bent, I wouldn't go very far, very fast.

Chances are, that if it was bent, you would have felt it, at least at lower speed, after you put the new prop on. But I would still visually check it.

You also did not mention what kind of drive you have. Different drives may require that you check different things.

Good luck.

Zackman

Petty Officer 1st Class

bolo, where I boat there is always obstacles as you described. I've hit a few going a lot fast than 23 mph and the prop has always taken the brunt of it. Based on your post it sounds like your okay. If you want to take it one step further then Boomyal suggests for detecting a bend shaft, you may want to invest in a dial indicator. With the propeller off, attach the dial indicator to the hub just before the shaft on the housing. Turn the shaft by hand and read the dial indicator. This will give you a true reading of the amount of runout at the shaft.

QC

Supreme Mariner

I would just clarify that you should look at the propshaft end, not necessarily the prop when you spin it. Also, you can hold a pencil or something else that comes to a point in the end of some propshafts and more easily see if the pencil/thing wobbles while you spin the prop. This only works if there is a little pilot hole that is centered in the end of the shaft. You can also run it in gear on muffs with the prop off and get a decent look.

I'd also drain a little gear lube out of the lower unit to see if there is any water present. No guarantee that it came from the log impact, but it is something to look for after a hard whack.

Edit: of course what BS man says is the correct way to check for runout. My ideas assume you don't have a dial indicator. I was posting while he posted . . .

bolo78910

Chief Petty Officer

thanks guys , i just got back from the boat yard , i start her up let it reach temp then ease it in reverse gear goes in nice an quiet without no thud or act like it is in nutral,.

so far thats a good sighn. iam taking the prop to get it fix in the morning , when i do i will just take it out side the no wake zone and give it a little spin. if it dosent feel right i will pull it out for the season, and get it checkj out.

it is a alpha one drive with a 1.47 gear ratio

thanks guys will let you know the result.

bolo78910

Chief Petty Officer

just got my prop back form the prop guy,

this is what he told me, i need to get a stainless steel prop so that when i hit something it wouldnt bend like the aluminium, how foolish was that, if i was wearing a ss prop at that speed i might not have a drive now,

he also said i will be back soon because i will bend it again , so i better get a ss prop lol.

oh well, anyway i will take the 20 mile run again this sat or sunday i will let you guys know how the drive holds up.

DHPMARINE

Captain

Weelll a prop guy has to sell props.

actually .008 -.010 out is considered a bad prop shaft.If you can see that,you got me beat.

DHP

djvan

Chief Petty Officer

Seems like he would be happy to just keep rebuilding your props. If you went stainless you might be spending your money at the outdrive repair shop instead of the prop rebuilder. I have stainless but boat in waters without much debris.

DougV>

bolo78910

Chief Petty Officer

update here guys i install the prop today and this is the little result i have.

when i am about to take off i felt a vibration but when i hit the throttle with more power the vibration seems to go away,

i only did test it in the no wake zone for a split min, it was too windy out side,

but it defenetly have a vibration at slow powering up speed, no slip goes into drive and reverse with no problem,

is that the sighn of a bad drive shaft universal joint out of alignment ect .

i realy wants to make that last trip sunday. thanks

bolo78910

Chief Petty Officer

after sitting here thinking, i dont remember the backup prop virbrating , that means the prop guy did a bad job on the prop.

one way to find out iam going back to the boat yard in the morning and install the backup prop and take it for the same take of speed test,

no viabration = the prop guy did not do a good job, or so i will take it back,.

??? here guys if the hub in the bent prop had spun will that cause the virbration too.???

thanks

bomar76

Lieutenant Commander

A spun hub will cause lack of locomotion.

Zackman

Petty Officer 1st Class

Bolo, don't forget that after repair, the prop needs to be balanced. Imbalance will cause vibration that is proporational to the speed of the prop. (actually the force is due to the square of the speed, but you get the idea 8).

bolo78910

Chief Petty Officer

up gate here guys,

went to the boat today and install a brand new prop , result.

no more virbration perod, boat runs great shift great ect.

so now in the morning i will be sailing my last tog trip for the season, then it will be on the party boat for the rest of the year.

i will take back the prop to the prop guy and see if he can do any thing about the virbration, if not i will just keep it as backup or toss it in the garbage.

thanks everyone who put there input in this thanks.

if i have a problem on my next trip regarding the prop/drive issue i will post.

lets go togging.

bolo78910

Chief Petty Officer

up date on my trip today with the new mirage prop ss prop install . my boat never runs so sweet for the two years i owned it. wow she rund like a top today .

my fuel milage was so great i did not know the the right prop for your engine could make so much a diffrent.

drive shift great and all.

the tog fishing today was not too great but i catch some nice ones, will be back next week if the weather allow.

thanks to everyone who help with there input on this.