Profiling Muslim extremist???

imported_Curmudgeon

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Profiling Muslim extremist???

The airline treated the passengers in an undignified manner, they may possibly have to make some form of restitution should the matter end up in court.

Says who, Vlad, the six guys? They were treated as they chose to be treated, and that usually means handcuffs when non-compliant with law enforcement personnel; I guess being a muslim imam doesn't necessarily translate into common sense. As long as the companmy is complying with law and regulation, the company can do what they damn well please - it's their aircraft. And in this day and age, it's the Captain who decides who rides and who does not. Profiling muslim men praying before boarding a commercial aircraft? I'd damn well hope so, or 3000 each in NY and Iraq are lousy teachers ...

rmmpe

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thank you 12Footer.

Curmudgeon,
Hear-Hear!

Firestar

Chief Petty Officer

It's great that the company had the balls to pull them off the jet. If I saw,heard some muslim start praying while boarding a jet...he would go....or I would.

crunch

Commander

Muslim religious leaders removed from a Minneapolis flight last week exhibited behavior associated with a security probe by terrorists and were not merely engaged in prayers, according to witnesses, police reports and aviation security officials.
Witnesses said three of the imams were praying loudly in the concourse and repeatedly shouted "Allah" when passengers were called for boarding US Airways Flight 300 to Phoenix.
"I was suspicious by the way they were praying very loud," the gate agent told the Minneapolis Police Department.
Passengers and flight attendants told law-enforcement officials the imams switched from their assigned seats to a pattern associated with the September 11 terrorist attacks and also found in probes of U.S. security since the attacks -- two in the front row first-class, two in the middle of the plane on the exit aisle and two in the rear of the cabin.
"That would alarm me," said a federal air marshal who asked to remain anonymous. "They now control all of the entry and exit routes to the plane."

It's a 2 page article but when you click for the second page it sends you to an advertisement. :| Look at top right and it has a link for the page you wanted.

http://www.washtimes.com/national/20061128-122902-7522r.htm

treedancer

Commander

If I was the pilot I believe I would have stopped at the nearest airport, and stuck there axx in the cargo hold after they were strip searched.

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

what's the Arabic for "oh great! way to 'blend in', you idiots!!" LOL

Just a note regarding the searches of 80-year-olds, something I learned on a recent trip with one.

My dad has an implanted device, a pacemaker. The manufacturer says that the "wands" used at security checkpoints might change the settings or even turn it off, so he has to request a hand search.

The alternative would be for them to just wave him through. My guess is that somewhere in the world there lives a terrorist who is just smart enough to see this as a weakness in the system, and figure out a way to exploit it.

It's not that big a deal, although Dad did comment after our last trip through security, "that guy ought to buy me dinner."

crunch

Commander

Glad he thought he had dinner coming, the alternative could defiantly be exploited.

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

If you look at the pics of many of the brits arrested in the last roundup of idiots trying to take over planes, you can see some of them dont fit the racial profile.

You cant tell the terrorists what you are looking for cause then they will find a way around it.

I dont like my kids on grandmother being searched but that is what is required in times of war.

Ken

crunch

Commander

I saw a report the other day that the British are tracking over 1300 terrorist suspects and plots... most of them involving young British kids being indoctrinated by Islamic radicals.

The day is coming where everyone using public transportation will be searched, either by hand, or by developing technology.

Also saw a report where the British are going to use directional microphones to eaves drop on street conversations in conjunction with the thousands of cameras they already deploy...

Big Brother is here, whether this is good or bad... it is necessary. :(

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

custombycrunch said:
... most of them involving young British kids being indoctrinated by Islamic radicals.

...sounds like terrorism is the new heroin...exploit the disenfranchised teenagers...

btw, I'm not sure I like the idea of an America where you can be jailed for praying.

MortenH

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hey RF - I'm starting to like you solution to every problem - Nuke everything o:)

-M-

Bass Man Bruce

Lieutenant

custombycrunch said:
Knowing of the events in the list above, if I was on a plane and some "people of Arab decent" started praying just before lift off, I'd be a bit concerned too." end quote

I don't know if I would be concerned or not, but I would definetly need clean pants!

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

so much for "religious freedom"

QC

Supreme Mariner

Hmmmmm, I have to say, I fly a lot and I am closer to agreeing with rolmops, jtex (dad example) and KIZ than the rest of ya. We do need to remain one step ahead, which means search everybody, we should strive to be the most tolerant people in the world for one reason and one reason only, we are all immigrants, yes, even Native Americans, aaaaand finally those idiots had it coming. Flippin' pircks!!

Drowned Rat

Captain

If they were simply praying then that's one thing QC, they were doing it to make a rukus. Praying loudly, Talking louder than needed in English and Arabic, talking about Bush and Al-quaeda, Sitting together at first on the plane and then rearranging their seats spread evenly throughout the plane!!, asking for seat belt extenders when not needed. Do I need to go on? What about this is not suspicious to you guys. Whether they were just pulling a sick prank or whether there was,(is) something more sinister involved, it doesn't matter. This wasn't profiling for the sake of profiling. The absolute appropriate measures were taken and this should be looked at as an example of what TO do.

QC

Supreme Mariner

Read my last sentence DR. I agreed these guys were fliipin' jerks, maybe I should be clearer and say I hope they are rotting in jail . . .

Apparently, I need to be clearer about a couple of other things as well. Profiling is OK (good) as a law enforcement tool. I don't however, think it is wise in this case (Airport) and I also don't like any of this as an excuse for any type of racism . . . Which sometimes it is. Profiling is not racism, harassing someone because of their race is. And just in case I am confusing anyone yet again, there are two issues, one was treedancer's original post and then crunch started the specific discussion about these aparent idiots. They suck, I don't want the rest of us to suck too . . .

Plainsman

Rear Admiral

jtexas said:

Maybe they should think about the time and place they do they're thing if they don't like the outcome. If they have to kneel towards mecca at 5 pm, might want to change the times of their flight.

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

EricKems said:
jtexas said:

Maybe they should think about the time and place they do they're thing if they don't like the outcome. If they have to kneel towards mecca at 5 pm, might want to change the times of their flight.

with these words in your signature: "Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you,
Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.
One died for your soul; the other for your freedom" sometimes you seriously misrepresent Christianity.

crunch

Commander

Geessss Jtx, did you read the article? These guys were looking for publicity, maybe to cause just what you are espousing, or they were on a recon. Nothing here about violation of rights, racism, or religion, just plain good sense.