Why go with an I/O?

wca_tim

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Why go with an I/O?

You should buy in i/o because you have long skinny arms with strong fingers and don't mind being covered in grease that will never come off (at least it stems the flow of blood from your mangled fingers afterfinding various sharp edges, etc...) while you learn about and work on things called bellows, gimbal bearings and stern drives.

I thin in general, the outboard boats I've had required a good bit less monkeying with, but there is something about the sound and feel of a healthy v-8 (or v6) that I'm hooked on. I'm going to look at another (bigger...) i/o tomrrow.

one point that isn't obvious above is that if you're talking aobut get up and go in a smaller boat, the engine weight in an i/o makes a big difference in performance. a it takes over 400 horsepower in an i/o to keep up with a comparable boat (lighter by 500 pounds or so) with a 250 on it. (in my experience).

(some) chicks dig cool boats - there are examples of both i/o s and obs in that category. especially boats they'll look good riding in...

diesel5599

Petty Officer 2nd Class

You should buy in i/o because you have long skinny arms with strong fingers and don't mind being covered in grease that will never come off (at least it stems the flow of blood from your mangled fingers afterfinding various sharp edges, etc...) while you learn about and work on things called bellows, gimbal bearings and stern drives.

(some) chicks dig cool boats - there are examples of both i/o s and obs in that category. especially boats they'll look good riding in...

I forgot to mention that I/Os are easier to get parts for but a REAL PAIN IN THE A** to actually work on. Try holding a starter with one hand, under an engine towards the back completely by feel while your entire arm is rubbing the dirtiest underside of an oil pan you've ever seen, while trying to loosen its rusted bolts with the other, and in the meantime trying to keep your skin intact on both arms, and your face at least 2 inches away from the pulleys and belts while laying flat on the floor with your feet propped up against what suddenly seems like the hardest fiberglass in the world. Knowing that if you drop the starter you will be replacing 3 wires that you have never even seen since they will be ripped to pieces by the weight of the starter.

Oh, did I forget to mention, don't drop the wrench either? That's how I have spent many a Saturday.

Pierutrus

Senior Chief Petty Officer

My 2 cent's.....

Out boards are smelly and in the way.....:(

I/O's are not.:p

As QC stated, chick's love I/O's!:redface:

But on a plus for outboards......especially 2 cycle......
When you start them up in the morning.......
They drive the bug's off!:D

LOL

45Auto

Commander

So a 260HP rated I/O will probably put out less than 170HP at the prop vs a 260HP OB which is probably closer to 210HP at the prop

I think all marine engines have been rated AT THE PROP for the last 25 years or so .......

xxturbowesxx

Chief Petty Officer

I run fast and shallow. I also launch and idle out of places that no I/O can(less than 1'). I also fish the flats and it can get very shallow. An I/O is almost unheard of around here. If I lived on a deep lake or river then I may consider a I/O but still find outboards easy to work not because they are familiar but because of easy access.

109jb

Lieutenant Commander

I thought that outboards were rated at the prop, but I/O's, because the engines are sold separate from the drives are rated at the crank. Not sure but that is what I was told.

diesel5599

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I think all marine engines have been rated AT THE PROP for the last 25 years or so .......
I may be wrong but I'm pretty sure Marine engines are calculated at the flywheel at least for I/O's. You can order a crate engine for an I/O and rated at a specific HP rating before you ever mate it to a transmission, they would not be able to list the output HP if it had to be measured at the prop. I can put anything from an Alpha I through a Bravo III on my I/O; I am certain the drivetrain losses would change which would affect the prop HP, but not the flywheel HP. However, my engine has a plate on the side of it which lists its HP, no such plate on the OD.

OB's, no idea, from what I have seen they are one unit, so I would think it would be easier for manufacturers to rate them at the prop. On the other hand, car makers could do the same but they don't because their low HP numbers would scare consumers away; might hold true for OB makers too.

xxturbowesxx

Chief Petty Officer

all outboards are rated at the prop(after a certain date in the 80's) not sure about I/O

high'n'dry

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Outboards are currently rated at prop shaft horsepower.

SeanT

Senior Chief Petty Officer

On my old IO I had to check the shop manual for my engine configuration (based on model numbers) for engine and drive to find HP at the prop. My 4.3L GM V6 with Cobra leg was rated at 160HP at the prop, but the engine was supposedly around 190HP (I never really believed that, I think it was actually 175HP).

cr2k

Captain

Now that you have read thru all that gobbldy gook. Find a boat you like and learn how to live with it. That's all it takes.

If you want a quality boat stay away from a Bayliner. Sure there are 1000s of them out there, but then again there were 1000s of VWs in the 60's.

Mercruiser, Or later Volvo are a little more reliable, but once you learn to deal with what ever you get it will be fine.

OMC Cobras are super easy to change the water pump impellers on.
If you plan on leaving the boat in the water a Volvo impeller can be changed in the water.

Lots of answers contained things like buying automotive parts for an I/O.
Some parts are interchangable but MOST are not due to safety and explosion ratings for electric things like alternators, starters and distributors. Carburetors are different because you are talking a lot more camshaft on an I/O vs. a smogged car engine. Some parts are different because of corrosion problems. Brass, Bronze and Stainless are used more in these areas; where an automotive engine may use cast iron or steel.

Just wanted you to know you cant just go to pep boys and buy a $29 starter and pass any inspection. The reason marine grade items are more expensive (and they are) is due to the liability the manufactures must carry.

But like many have said...Whatever you chose it's WAY better than watching from the shore.

Kinda like getting married...after awhile you find there are some adjustments to maintain the good. Some are higher maintenance than others.

767Captain

Seaman

For the I/O fans, exactly what parts that you actually need on a regular basis can be found at your local auto supply? Meaning actual marine ready parts, not something stupid like buying an automotive starter or carb? :confused:

RickJ6956

Petty Officer 1st Class

Oil and oil filters. U-joints that are common to MerCruiser outdrives. Transmission fluid for the power steering, and oil for the trim pump. Some carry winterization items like Sta-bil, enginer fogger, and RV antifreeze for the water sytems. That's about it.

QC

Supreme Mariner

Mercruiser listed "Crankshaft" horsepower only in 1989, both Propshaft and Crankshaft in 1990 and then only published Propshaft hp from '91 on for their I/O models.

When scanning the '90 models it appears that Merc claimed as little as 10 hp drop between the two ratings (145 vs. 135) for the 3.0 w/ an Alpha, and as much as 30 bhp (270 vs. 240) for the 350 Mag w/ Alpha. I have always used 30 as the 260s were all 230s the next year etc . . . It would generally be a percentage though as the losses go up with higher output shaft speeds (taller gears in higher hp drive packages).

xxturbowesxx

Chief Petty Officer

I wouldn't write off any boat maker even bayliner. Bayliner got a bad rap but think about the type of owners they typically have and are usually neglected causing the problems that exist in the used market.

I would take a well maintained bayliner over another make that was abused. I would say test the deck of the boat for soft spots(any soft spots I would walk),sea trial(actually take it on the water). I would be inclined to tell you to look for an outboard because older motors may have problems but fixing an I/O usually will cost 3x as much as the work on an outboard. Also you said you were familiar with smaller outboards and the larger ones aren't much different. I have a used 1988 outboard that is original and other than cleaning carbs runs great and I have done nothing to it.

wca_tim

Lieutenant Commander

Another advantage for the i/o side of things is that if you like the boat and want to step performance up, there are a lot more options (rather than buying a new engine), and since most are based on chevrolet engines, there are a smorgasboard of performance related parts to be had.

justchange

Petty Officer 1st Class

It's a matter of personal preference and how you'll be using the craft.

I prefer an i/o because they're easier to work on if they stop in mid lake.:eek::D

tx1961whaler

Vice Admiral

Hopefully the IO guys are not putting regular car alternators and starters and carbs on their engines.......there's a reason for the marine versions, other than charging you more money.

justchange

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hopefully the IO guys are not putting regular car alternators and starters and carbs on their engines.......there's a reason for the marine versions, other than charging you more money.

Not I. I know better. FRankly, I haven't seen much cost difference.

Tubingluvr

Chief Petty Officer

I have always owned an I/O because that's what I know.
I can work on automotive engines and I/O engines, but have no clue when it comes to small engines or outboards.
If I owned an outboard I am sure it would spend more time in the shop than the water because I would have no clue.
I do know that hp for hp the outboard uses more fuel.