Why go with an I/O?

This_lil_fishy

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: Why go with an I/O?

Yup, everyone seems to pointed everything. I love my I/O, I have automotive experience (backyard) and do my own repairs, and parts are easy to get. I do fish late into the fall, and actually drain the engine before leaving the dock to prevent freezing on the way back. The trick is to put the plugs back in before you launch!:eek:

My old OB was great to work on, everything right there to get at, but parts were a pain in the backside to get. Theres a tonne of different outboards with different parts unlike the handful of common I/O units which makes it hard for the local shop to cary everything you need for your particular OB. Using the boat well into fall early winter is a big plus with outboards for certain though, but the noise, and two stroke was a pain in the backside as well.

At the end of the day it's definately a personal preference, and until you've tried both, it'll be hard to say what you will like best. Me, I like my I/O and will stick with them.

ian

bigbad 4cyl x2

Petty Officer 1st Class

my decision was based on i live in the bay area . i felt a sterndrive was more easy to secure against theft . i wasent to hip on owning a nice out drive some one backs there truck up to and puts it into there bed and drives off . i plan on securing my dog house[engine hatch ]so no one can open it very easy . all my compartments lock ,when i go to the lake i like to stay in hotels so i want my boat stuff mostly safe out side with out having to unload the boat

nitsuj

Chief Petty Officer

I've had both, and gun to my head, I'm not sure I can pick a "best". Both have good and bad. I just bought an old I/O and it's my first. When I say old, I mean 1967, so old. But even at 42 years old, there are a lot of parts that I can walk into a corner auto parts store to get. I couldn't do that with my Johnson outboard. On the other hand, the I/O is a bit of a pain to work on compared to an OB, but no worse than a lot of modern cars. If I had to do an overhaul, I'd prefer to rebuild an outboard, but since I do my own labor, either one is doable.

For some reason, novice boaters feel I/O's are better. It's almost as if some folks see it as embarrassing to have an OB boat. So while buying a new OB engine is more expensive than an I/O power plant, it seems to me a boat with an OB loses more of it's value quicker on the used market. But in other areas I suspect that may not be the case.

I don't buy the chicks prefer I/O argument. Most chicks I know just see a boat, and they're either into them or they're not. However, OB's can be louder, and I could see where some women don't like that.

The sound thing is a tie for me. While it's true that a properly tuned small block Chevy sounds great, I also love the sound of my Johnson 115 2 stroke at full scream.

Then there's weight and power distribution. I won't get technical because I'm not equipped to do so, but in my experience, an outboard will smoke a similar horsepower I/O. I suspect it's due to the OB being lighter and not having to transmit it's power as far. I could be wrong about the second part. I know for sure my Johnson 115 was faster than my current 200hp I/O. And when I was running my Johnson at the river, I could beat most newer, higher HP I/O's.

I just realized that I typed all that and never answered your question clearly. Here's the bottom line for me. If I were shopping for a used boat, I'd pick the boat based on it's own merits. The features that were important to me, the condition I want and the price I want to pay. If the boat that fit my needs best had either an I/O or and OB, I'd be happy with either. Both are good. I have no experience with full inboard. Only that they seem to hold their value the best for some reason. 20-30 year old Natiques and such seem to still sell for much more than comparable I/O or OB's. I haven't figured out why. Suppl and demand?

SeanT

Senior Chief Petty Officer

The reason inboards tend to sell for more is that they tend to have more engine, especially the ski boats. Even 20 year old inboard direct drive ski boats are sporting 250+hp. And even if the direct drive is less HP than an ouboard or I/O, there's less HP loss through the transmission to the prop, and the holeshot is much quicker (for lack of a better term).

I just sold my old 20 year old 175HP I/O and bought a 10 year old 325HP inboard tournament boat. I know my 20 year old I/O may not be indicative of brand news ones, but in any case I seriously doubt I will ever buy another I/O.

mike343

Petty Officer 1st Class

The major advantage to an I/O is that you can have a real swim platform. Most other arguments favor O/B's except initial cost (until the new anti-pollution requirements are imposed(no carbs and catalytic converters) are imposed. Annual maintenance costs (owner's manual) at least 1K these days for I/O's unless you do it yourself. E-tecs noting for three years.

SeanT

Senior Chief Petty Officer

The major advantage to an I/O is that you can have a real swim platform.
I disagree. Check out any tournament boat for what a "real" swim platform looks like. These elevated ones you get on I/Os sure are nice, but they don't really sit on the water the way they should and still tend to require a ladder to board. I'm sure there's exceptions to this, but all of the ones I see on these luxury I/Os have these funny fold out ladders on them. I think they sit just a tad too high.

But, I will agree that your best all around, do-anything boat will probably have an I/O engine, and there's nothing wrong with that. Lots of very nice boats. Plus, on average an I/O will go faster than a wakeboard boat. :D

45Auto

Commander

high'n'dry said:
"Why go with an I/O?"
I wouldn't.

I do :)

I've had both, will never go back to an outboard. Makes the whole aft end of the boat useless for my purposes. Might be good if you're a fisherman, but I don't even own a fishing pole!

this lil fishy said:
At the end of the day it's definately a personal preference, and until you've tried both, it'll be hard to say what you will like best. Me, I like my I/O and will stick with them.

Agree 100% !!!

mike-the-cobra

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have had 2 I/O's and 2 outboards, and I prefer the I/O's. It is probably because I am a back-yard mechanic and I just feel more comfortable around the I/O's.

Plus in my eyes, they "l@@K" better.

high'n'dry

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I do :)

I've had both, will never go back to an outboard. Makes the whole aft end of the boat useless for my purposes. Might be good if you're a fisherman, but I don't even own a fishing pole!
Agree 100% !!!

I don't fish much either, mostly dive, mostly saltwater, mostly often rough conditions, mostly need a boat that cannot sink and has a good power to weight ratio and will self bail and will keep running even when green water comes over the bow and the I/O takes up way to much room in side the boat, is to complex, great potential for flooding the bilges if the bellows tears, to much misalignment and vibration and way to much weight.

109jb

Lieutenant Commander

I like GM trucks, Honda motorcycles, brown haired girls, thousand island dressing, fried chicken and outboard powered boats. I like them for my own reasons. There isn't anything really terrible about Ford trucks, Harleys, blondes, french dressing, grilled chicken, or I/O boats. They are different but get the job done. Choose the boat you like and if it happens to have an I/O then you will have lots of company in the I/O owners group. Same can be said for outboards. Each has pros and cons but neither I or anyone else can tell you which features are important to you.

Marcq

Petty Officer 1st Class

For me it's outboard all the way, there's too many issues with inboard out there that people don't realize, sometimes small, sometimes major. Take my used to be friend, he owns an inboard StingRay, that has a major water leak in the bilge, but keeps on boating with his family relying on his single bilge pump, too lazy to fix it, he's now selling the boat without mentioning anything about the leak :mad:
My next door neighbor, he has an oil leak, can't figure out where it's coming from, so he decides to live with it, he just adds oil once in a while:rolleyes:

I have seen some inboard setup that were plain scary:eek:

There are a lot of ticking bombs out there, inboard boats owned by lazy people
If you are lazy, an inboard is not for you, go for an outboard it will be safer for all of us

Marc..

QC

Supreme Mariner

I don't buy the chicks prefer I/O argument. Most chicks I know just see a boat, and they're either into them or they're not. However, OB's can be louder, and I could see where some women don't like that.
Funny . . . and as many have said, a matter of opinion. But my experience is kind of the opposite. The ladies that I hang out with (Mrs. QC included) like the sound of Uncorked V8s . . . :cool: and they hate the sound of a tweaked two cycle :eek: They also like full swimsteps and think that "big thing on the back looks stupid." The only saving grace for them is I have eplained that twin OB tunnels are probably the fastest combos we see, so they have some respect for that. Ultimately they like the rumble and they like a clean step and sun lounge . . . They don't like windshields and say "it looks like an old man boat" so that almost eliminates Tournament inboards although there are some with cool graphics that get their attention. Mainly they like boats like this:

e28c.jpg

But I like this:

BoatImage

windsors03cobra

Lieutenant Junior Grade

^ Love that boat with the tanning pad on the back, no fishing poles here either......

Many moons ago 2 stroke vs 4 stroke was one of the deciding factors for many folks...but as I said...that is obviously no longer the case.

Thanks to OMC, JohhnyRude, FICHT & E-Tec 2 strokes still rule IMO, a 4 stroke might be nice for a low speed cruiser. :D
I love the sound of a mean 2 stroke, could be a8-71 Detroit, a 088 Stihl or a tower of power Mercury outboard. Love that sound.

Huron Angler

Admiral

QC I think we'd all be happy to captain either one of those vessels...I agree that most women would probably like the I/O you posted but the cabin on that fishing rig might get some votes.

BTW does that I/O have a little tiny cabin in between the helm and the open bow, or just a walk thru? Never seen one set up that way...pretty nice design:D

_chris_

Chief Petty Officer

I just want to back the chicks dig I/O's. My girlfriend and I went looking at boats and I was dead set on a Sleek Craft daycruiser with an OB, it was a great boat at a great price and she shot me down by saying if I bought that ugly, noisy thing she would never be seen in it. As soon as she saw my Four Winns she had to have it, and for the sake of nookie I now have an I/O and couldn't be more happy myself.:D

high'n'dry

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I don't get this "chick" thing. I get a boat for what it can do, not what it looks like. If women like it fine, if not, I don't care, already married, she picked out the china, I pick out the boats.

After a bit, doesn't laying on a tanning pad get kinda boring. My wife likes this view as she heads back to the Whaler:

IMG_1541_edited-1.jpg

There is a sun pad up front. The only "chick" I care about and she is smiling:

DSCF0273.jpg

Dogs prefer outboards. Real boats have inboards or outboards but not something in between.

slide122.jpg

QC

Supreme Mariner

BTW does that I/O have a little tiny cabin in between the helm and the open bow, or just a walk thru? Never seen one set up that way...pretty nice design:D
Yes, it is typically called a mid-cabin or walk-under bowrider. Mine is a walk-thru:

282p0us.jpg

I personally like this one:

95034606_5thumb_550x410.jpg

It is a 26' Sleekcraft Enforcer and I like the open access to the mid-cabin. You can see the open bow area with the cover on the floor. They make a Heritage with a locking door too. In both cases they are probably wasted space, and we like the walk-thru because it is so much easier and quicker to get forward and tend an anchor etc. Would be a great place for kids to nap, but I don't see anybody sitting down there in 100+ degree temps. Especially underway.

QC

Supreme Mariner

I don't get this "chick" thing
I kind of say it tongue in cheek, but my wife, my friend's wives, who have grown up boating on the Colorado River, like the boats that are popular there. They are for day cruising, sunbathing, swimming etc. Totally freshwater boats, most are carpeted (yuk). None are setup for diving or fishing, but you can get OB versions. But you lose the swimstep and the sunlounge in most cases. They all seem to respect a nice looking Center Console, but would not want one for where we boat and what we do.

In my case I don't buy anything serious without approval. I wouldn't get approval for an OB powered boat if we were continuing to boat on the Colorado. It's that simple.

They would like this, but not want it:

f26a.jpg

45Auto

Commander

high'n'dry said:
mostly need a boat that cannot sink and has a good power to weight ratio and will self bail and will keep running even when green water comes over the bow

You do know that it's a federal law that all boats under 20' have enough flotation so they can't sink? And an OB is MUCH more likely to swamp in green water conditions than an I/O? If you're really concerned about green water conditions, it might be worth your while to do some research.

Here's a link to an article about why boats swamp in open water:

Stopping the Water
Source: Seaworthy Magazine: the BoatUS Marine Insurance and Damage Avoidance Report

http://www.seamark-marine.com/seamark_news.html

The single most critical reason boats are flooded on open water has to do with transom height. Thirteen of 15 boats in the sample group that were swamped were outboard powered, with engine cut-outs that were often only inches above the waves.

Motor wells are supposed to be the second line of defense when a wave comes over an outboard's transom but, in some cases, the well is too low, too shallow, and/ or not sealed adequately to the cockpit.