Pristine Evinrude 9.5 Question

I just got a 1965 Evinrude 9.5 (serial #E14623, model #9522c) at an estate sale and it looks mint. The lady said their kids used only one year and they put it in the basement. The thing looks new inside and out.

I checked the gear lube, cleaned the plugs, put it in a 55 gal. drum and it runs great. However, I had it on a high idle and when I removed the shroud to look for fuel or water leaks the rpm's picked up. It slowed down with the shroud on, but still idled nicely.

I about went blind the other night reading 50 pages of past posts here about the 9.5 and ran across talk of a problem with exhaust leaks affecting rpm. I looked in this motor and it is super clean with no tell tale stains or oil spots.

Does this rpm change indicate a problem, or did they run this way when new? Could it have been sucking exhaust from the confines of the drum? Would you recommend I change the water pump impeller (it put out plenty of water) just do to age and not running time?

This thing is a virgin and I would hate to tear it apart for a problem that doesn't exist, but I don't want to blow it up because I didn't cure a potetial problem.

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral
Re: Pristine Evinrude 9.5 Question

Definately put in an impeller. Leave the hood on as it idles, shut it off, remove the hood. If there's smoke, there's a leak. The rubber seal can shrink with time. Or the bellows hose can harden and break.

Is the bellows hose the one that lets water exit the housing? If so, it's soft and supple and intact. I looked at it after reading the posts about the 9.5.

I won a factory manual on ebay, but it hasn't arrived yet so I'm not familiar with the names of the parts.

Thanks for the tip about smoke in the shroud. I will take your advice on the impeller and change it this winter. Temps just went to the 20's here so I doubt I'll get to run it again 'til spring.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Don't expect it to run right in the confines of a 55 gallon drum with the hood on. They won't even run right in a commercial vented test tank with the hood on. It has to get air from somewhere and if that somewhere is full of smoke, it breathes that too.

If it sucks smoke on a boat with the hood on, that's a different story. But until you try it on a boat, don't worry about it.

iwombat

Captain

My 9.5 with verified good exhaust seals, good shifter boot, etc. (I just put it all back together) Exhibits the same symptoms in the test tank, but not on the boat.

Sounds like you scored a nice motor.

iwombat

Captain

Oh, and second that changing the impeller thing. Probably want to check the thermostat too - just because.

If it idles nicely, it also sounds like you lucked out on varnish in the carb too.

DHPMARINE

Captain

Sorry to be too basic,but it runs OK with the cover on,but not with the cover off.........

Keep the cover on.That is the way it's designed to run.When you run it without the cover,it runs lean and the idle picks up

DHP

DHPMARINE: It ran good with cover both off and on. It's just lift cover off, rpm's increase. Set cover back on, rpm's decrease, but no miss or sputter.

Thanks for everyone's good advice. Seems like the plan will be:
1: Wait for shop manual to arrive.
2: Change impeller and check thermostat.
3: Wait for spring and try it out on the boat.

Do Johnson/Evinrude dealers still support parts for these motors or is it better to go aftermarket like iboats, Sierra etc.?

stl

Petty Officer 1st Class

I purchased an omc carb kit as well as a water pump for my 1965 9.5. At a local dealer.

iwombat

Captain

Standard maintenance parts are still available at your local dealer and Napa store. Your results may vary on other items. Sea Way marine in Seattle has had everything and more I ever wanted for that motor.