You Know The Saying "trailer is worth what you paid for the boat" **I Disagree**

Status
Not open for further replies.

109jb

Lieutenant Commander
Re: You Know The Saying "trailer is worth what you paid for the boat" **I Disagree**

Re: You Know The Saying "trailer is worth what you paid for the boat" **I Disagree**

Ok, I'll bite. Your wife runs down to the local "Oil Change" business to get the oil changed. Would you demand that she get down underneath the car after it pulled out of the bay? Reach up and make sure the oil filter is screwed on properly and not cross threaded..also make sure that the oil pan screw is on correctly? Oh and lets not forget to check the level of the oil and make sure that the oil cap was put back on. Of course not, thats why she took it to a professional business to take care of it.

If my wife got the oil changed I would not expect her to do anything but drive it away, but I would expect her to pull over if the oil light comes on or if the oil pressure gauge doesn't register. Then the oil change place would get a call because they were paid to insure that the oil was changed correctly. In the case of this trailer the OP paid for a boat with a trailer under it and he got a boat with a trailer under it. The trailer was misrepresented and the dealer should compensate for that misrepresentation.

You get where I'm going...These people are in business because they are the "experts" in that field. They run a business changing oil and lubing cars and they are expected to do things the right way and make sure your car is roadworthy when it leaves. They don't tell you as you are leaving..;"Good bye!, and remember, once you leave our lot, your car is in "As is" condition even if oil spills all over the road as you drive away and it blows up because we forgot to tighten down the oil filter"

Same thing applies here and this situation is entirely in the dealerships court. With owning a business comes and entirely new level of responsibility.

I agree that it was irresponsible to sell the trailer and I said before that it was, but I will say it again, if a driver is going to be pulling a trailer that driver needs to know enough to be safe. Period end of story. If the driver doesn't have that knowledge then in my opinion he/she has no business pulling a trailer. (In general terms not intending to point fingers)

In this country there is a propensity to pass off responsibility to whoever we can and the courts allow it. If I buy a cup of coffee and burn myself because it is hot well I just sue for millions. Never mind that coffee is supposed to be hot.

If you all want me to agree that a driver pulling a trailer doesn't have responsibility for the safety of the trailer he is pulling then you will be waiting a long time. I firmly believe that the driver of a several thousand pound projectile bears the responsibility for the safety of that vehicle.

If I rent a car, which I do often, it is not my responsibility to do any maintenance or have any maintenance done to that rental car, but it is my responsibility to pull the car over if I detect an unsafe condition. It is then the rental agency's responsibility to provide me another car because I contracted to have a car I could use.

Alpheus

Lieutenant Commander

it just isn't worth the liability or headache to sell some old stuff for such small money

The trailer is a 2006. Its four years old...

a70eliminator

Captain

No trailer would have been a be a major stopper for me, Sea Ray or not. Hunting down a viable used trailer just seems like a tall order, you see lots of boats selling with no trailer but it's not often you see a trailer with no boat for sale, at least in my limited used boat shopping experience.

Knightgang

Lieutenant

I am almost tired of reading on this thread. There are to many sided opinions here. We all see the pictures of the trailer and as you can see, from a distance it appears to be a nice trailer...

When the dealer (or sales person) says they swapped the trailer to one that was more roadworthy, one would expect that traielr to be a useful trailer. Reguardless of what was paid for the boat/trailer combo, if I bought that rig and they told me that they swapped the trailer, I would expect that the trailer would be road worthy...

Ezmobee, I suggest you go ahead and close this thread until we get an update from Alpheus. Only a few more days to go, they we will see what character the dealer/salesman have and how Alpheus handles it...

JMO...

EsoxRanger

Seaman

The dealer inferred that the trailer he sold the OP was road worthy when he said he took the boat off the origonal trailer because it wasn't road worthy.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

well now don't get me wrong..... if the dealer misrepresented the trailer/boat package then he owes a refund of purchase amount for return of the purchased item(s)..... o/p already stated he didn't want a refund and was thrilled with the boat for the price.... he just thinks the dealer should throw in another trailer because he is no longer happy with the one he got even if it was sold at a junk price ........ my feelings would be way different if these items would have been sold to him at retail price. I have bought more than one "back lot car/boat/bike" and the deal is you take your chances and the paper work clearly states "no warranty expressed or implied" you sign it pay up and go

Was this something different? Was the dealer dumb enough as to warranty this rig? If so then I apologize........
I think people on all sides here are sick of this one..... I really did try to keep quiet on this one but damn........... ya know?........ either way happy boating and again.... nice boat

Knightgang

Lieutenant

I think what is happening here is that some folks are not reading the entire post, and/or interpretting facts or statements into the transaction (such as "As is,No Warranty", roadworthy liability before, during after sale, responsibility of inspection, etc... And commenting on their interpretation of what was or was not said/stated during the sale...

Either way, Maybe we can ride just another couple of days to here the resolution from Alpheus, and I hope and pray that the dealer he makes the situation right with him. Not many "GOOD" people left in the business world today... And I say that as a business owner tha have had my throat cut many times and this economy does not help the situtaion any. In addition, I will not resort to misleading people and/or throat cutting other businesses to benefit myself... Not my character...

MTribe08

Senior Chief Petty Officer

This is the reason I do most everything my self. I once took my wifes Lexus to the dealer to do a oil change and when I got home noticed a drip on my driveway and when I looked they never chained the oil filter. same one I put on there 3k before.. So pro or not you are at the mercy of the 17 year old they hired for $7.00 a hour to work on your expensive piece of equipment.

Ok, and how did you handle the situation?
A. Say "oh well, it's my fault for not crawling under the car to make sure they changed it."
B. Go back down there and have them do what you paid for? Which was to change the oil and filter.

My guess is that the salesman is being paid minimum wage unless he/she exceeds that in commission. THAT does not excuse the dealer from it's responibity to sell a trailer that is roadworthy, unless the dealer states it's non-roadworthy condition and the customer signs off on it.

reelfishin

Captain

No trailer would have been a be a major stopper for me, Sea Ray or not. Hunting down a viable used trailer just seems like a tall order, you see lots of boats selling with no trailer but it's not often you see a trailer with no boat for sale, at least in my limited used boat shopping experience.

I can't agree with this at all, over say the last 15 or so years, I've owned probably 25 or so boats. Out of the entire lot of boats I've owned, both big and small, I'd say that maybe three of them were bought on a trailer which was to stay under that boat. Most every boat I've bought, and yes, most were project boats to some degree or another, came on junk trailers. I've also bought many trailers with junk boats on them just to get the trailer.
I've often picked up boats with no trailer, or trailers with no boats just the same, usually the boat is a free for the taking type of deal.

One thing I seem to find over and over is that most dealers or even boat owners simply don't put much value on the trailer half of the deal. Rarely have I seen a used boat which was on a well maintained, well fitted trailer with no rust. Most have been suspect at the very least, several required a flat bed to bring home.

Finding a good used trailer should be no problem for a boat that size. Myself, I usually have more trailers than boats simply since the trailer is easier to sell then the boat. There's not much market for a used boat that needs work, but a trailer that can go to work as is will sell in a heartbeat. I'll junk a bad boat to have a trailer to sell free and clear, not many will deal with getting rid of a junk boat, and if they will, they want the trailer for free.

I'd check Craigslist and keep watching, maybe even put up an ad in the boat section stating what your looking for. It may even pay to just buy a new trailer.
I am amazed at some of the prices that some used trailers sell for, often only a few dollars short of the cost of a new one.

I agree, that if you got a viable boat for $1000, then the trailer value is not an issue, but if the dealer said it was a good, roadworthy, inspected trailer, then I would expect that he make good on that point. If it were junk, then I'd have expected at least a warning that it may not be up to the task. I still think the dealer pulled a fast one in swapping the trailer out, he most likely new darn well that the trailer under it originally would bring more money than the deal at hand and he put a trailer under that boat he felt matched the deal and then made up an excuse to match.
Whether this was perpetrated by the owner, salesman or any other employee, it makes no difference to you the customer. You bought the boat from a dealer as a whole. I've worked in car dealerships for years, and know the kind of games they play, I don't doubt for a second that they knew what they were doing.

As said here by others before, the only right thing for the dealer to do is to offer you a sound trailer to hold that boat, whether it be perfect or just in usable condition. You bought that boat expecting not to have to buy a trailer for it, regardless of whether or not you got a deal or not with or without that trailer. The dealer misrepresented that trailer or worse dumped a known junk trailer on you and claimed it to be roadworthy.
Even if he only offers you a good solid trailer that needs some work, your better off than with a rusty pile of scrap. If it were me, I'd want to go over any trailer I bought myself anyhow, so the condition of the bearings tires and bunks are minor compared to the frame or axle tubes being rotted out and beyond use.
Around here, I think nothing of hanging a fresh set of axles under an older trailer if the frame is sound, and nearly everything gets new bunks or rollers. The few hundred dollars it costs me to refurbish a trailer is well worth the piece of mind.

a70eliminator

Captain

25 boats in 15 yrs! I guess a trailer wouldn't be a problem for you.

For me a boat in the driveway with a bad trailer would a major headache.

Location location location.

BTMCB

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Appears to me Reel speaks with experience. Well said. Good counsel.

Thajeffski

Master Chief Petty Officer

And it's Finally the day of the 4th!

Alpheus

Lieutenant Commander

Yep, today is the day. I will post the results as soon as I get them...

Thajeffski

dealer must be closed by now :(

wingmastr23

Petty Officer 1st Class

And the survey says........???

fat fanny

Lieutenant Commander

This thread is almost as epic as Ooops's hull extension ! But I think this one will have an ending sooner.

Alpheus

Lieutenant Commander

I just got an email 20 minutes ago. After all that has been said and done this is the response I got:

BRUCE

I talk with Brad today and he said that we would give you $250 back.
Let me know if that works for you.

Thanks

DANNY

fat fanny

Lieutenant Commander

Alpheus tell Bruce to pound sand!!! tell them you need a trailer.

Thajeffski

atombombX.gif

Out with the name of the dealer!!! Call the news!!!

LOL that is bull****!!!

However, I'd prob just take the 250 and call it a day.

wingmastr23

Petty Officer 1st Class

atombombX.gif

Out with the name of the dealer!!! Call the news!!!

LOL that is bull****!!!

However, I'd prob just take the 250 and call it a day.

I agree totally.....you got hosed.....but you did get a pretty good deal on the boat....

Status
Not open for further replies.