You Know The Saying "trailer is worth what you paid for the boat" **I Disagree**

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mark_VTfisherman

Lieutenant
Re: You Know The Saying "trailer is worth what you paid for the boat" **I Disagree**

Re: You Know The Saying "trailer is worth what you paid for the boat" **I Disagree**

This whole thing sounds whacked, but no matter how "as is" something is, that dealer would be liable for letting something unsafe go down the road had there been a more serious accident. The courts try to blame bartenders, and builders for consequential damages; this is no different.

Having said that, I would go in person and try to get the original trailer once more time. If that didn't work, I would take the $250 and fix the trailer. But then again I have a welder and know how to use it.

NYBo

Admiral

All Bruce wants is the trailer that was originally under the boat, the one the dealer swapped out for the Junk they put under it..
This would be a reasonable expectation only if this is the trailer that was promised, either explicitly or implicitly, at the time the deal was made. I have a feeling that's not the case.

BTW, defaming the character of a business or living person in writing is libel, not slander.:)

EDIT: in bold, left out originally:redface:

PiratePast40

Lieutenant Commander

The offer of 250 was most likely an attempt by the salesman to see what you would accept. I've been in the same situation - the boss tells you to offer XXXXX and see if the customer screams about it. It's just my opinion but I think that asking for a working trailer is reasonable. They're most likely waiting for you to come back with what you want - or what you'll take to go away.

It's boils down to what YOU think is reasonable considering the situation.

If you don't ask, the answer is allways no.

109jb

Lieutenant Commander

This whole thing sounds whacked, but no matter how "as is" something is, that dealer would be liable for letting something unsafe go down the road had there been a more serious accident. The courts try to blame bartenders, and builders for consequential damages; this is no different.

Having said that, I would go in person and try to get the original trailer once more time. If that didn't work, I would take the $250 and fix the trailer. But then again I have a welder and know how to use it.

I don't disagree at all that the dealer never should have let the trailer leave his lot, but talking about the could have been accidents that didn't happen doesn't mean much. Fact is that an accident didn't happen. Now that we have that out of the way, it is simply a matter of what the dealer is liable for as a result of misrepresentation of the trailer. For a $1000 package including boat and trailer, I would say that $250 is fair IMO. I know that the OP countered, and that is fine, but if the dealer doesn't accept, I would take the $250 and put it toward another trailer.

As far as putting another trailer under it, unless the dealer has a safe used trailer that is in the under $500 value category, you can't really expect him to pony up a more expensive trailer. Monetarily, he would be better off refunding the entire price and taking them both back.

As far as fixing that trailer, the frame itself is shot and there isn't anything there to save. About all that could be done is to build a new trailer using the axles, brakes, coupler, fenders, and whatever else could be salvaged from that trailer.

Alpheus

Lieutenant Commander

I have a welder and know how to use it also. Have you seen the pics? There is nothing to weld to...

you can't really expect him to pony up a more expensive trailer. Monetarily.

He could give me the cheapest trailer known to man as long as it is safe.

To be perfectly honest I would let this whole thing drop if he would just stop ducking my phone calls and talk to me. I just need to know that I did my part to make them think twice about selling unsafe equipment and just slapping inspection stickers on trailers without even looking at them...

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

just slapping inspection stickers on trailers without even looking at them...
I have never seen an inspection sticker on a trailer. Care to take a picture of this and post it?

MrBigStuff

Chief Petty Officer

I'm curious about the details of the counter-offer. If it were me, I'd have countered for the $250 and they take the junk trailer back. Let them dispose of it. Then I'd go shopping for a used trailer somewhere else. These guys can't be trusted anymore. I would feel I got a great deal on that boat for $750 and wouldn't expect them to put much effort into finding a road worthy trailer for that amount of money. I'd expect to pay at least $500 for a fundamantally sound trailer that would need some TLC. Like anyone else, I'd want to extract some measure of pain for the risk they exposed me to but when cooler heads prevail, it's often best to just move on and use the experience gained the next time around.

PiratePast40

Lieutenant Commander

I just need to know that I did my part to make them think twice about selling unsafe equipment and just slapping inspection stickers on trailers without even looking at them...

I feel for you and understand the sentiment. But as noble as that is, reality may be a quite different. I say that from experience. I was involved in a civil suit over copyright infringement a few years ago. I also wanted some type of justice so that the person wouldn't steal from someone else. In the end, my lawyer convinced me that it was best to settle on the material and let karma take it's own course.

Alpheus

Lieutenant Commander

I am at work but will snap a pic when I get home. Where I am at, I have heard that trailers with brakes have to pass a safety inspection. There is a sticker on the trailer and I have a copy of the inspection sheet that was in the folder of paperwork that came with the title. This material is dated and signed by the mechanic who performed and deemed this trailer roadworthy. It is not a state form though it looks to be an inhouse form

However I am having difficulty finding on the DMV website that this inspection is mandated by the state for road use.

I think I am going to drop this whole escipade and just take it as a lesson learned the hard way. From now on I dont care how many certs,training or expertice someone has or how good something looks on the outside. I will be having a good look for myself.

I will post the results of the counter offer as soon as I hear something...

199q

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I am at work but will snap a pic when I get home. Where I am at, I have heard that trailers with brakes have to pass a safety inspection. There is a sticker on the trailer and I have a copy of the inspection sheet that was in the folder of paperwork that came with the title. This material is dated and signed by the mechanic who performed and deemed this trailer roadworthy. It is not a state form though it looks to be an inhouse form

However I am having difficulty finding on the DMV website that this inspection is mandated by the state for road use.

I think I am going to drop this whole escipade and just take it as a lesson learned the hard way. From now on I dont care how many certs,training or expertice someone has or how good something looks on the outside. I will be having a good look for myself.

I will post the results of the counter offer as soon as I hear something...

The maxim liability that the dealership owes you is the purchase price, unless you can prove malicious intent. Which is extremely hard to prove and not worth it here. I am glad that at least the dealer is trying to make some sort of effort. most dealerships I have dealt with wouldn't have given me any thing at all. I will be interested to see how the counter offer goes.

Libel: Written Defamation of character.

Slander: Oral Defamation of character. must have at least 2 parties involved, but usually have around 3.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral

The dealer is "probably" a crook since he "probably" knowingly sold an unsafe trailer. Be that as it may, a 25% refund of the purchase price is way more than fair.

You undoubtedly will have to pay a lot more than 250 to get a safe trailer.

Personally, I would never put a $250 trailer under my prized boat. Nor would I even think of using a $750 boat. As one previous poster pointed out, the boat is probably junk too.

jeeperman

Lieutenant Commander

Do you get to keep the "wonderful" MASTERCRAFT trailer ????

It has nice wheels.
And brakes you said work good.
Maybe more parts that can be donors to a different trailer.

ozenine

Petty Officer 1st Class

I was following this post for the long time. And here are some ideas from me:
1) I think the discussion here is not about quality of the Mastercraft, not about 1000 boat package but about somebody who has "Certification" not doing their job and not taking responsibility for that.
I think that this dealer has to pay through the nose to mke it right ONLY then he will understand that he (and his staff) needs to do th job for which they are getting paid a lot of money.
And I really think taht the technician that "inspected" this trailer should not have a job. Only that way people learn. it is NOT a mistake, it is simly lack of responsibility. And there is such thing as responsibility when dealing with high risk items such are boats.
I am sure you can buy the used trailer from Joe-Down-The-Street for LESS money, but then you expect that Joe is not "factory trained" on these products and you expect problems. When the dealer makes statement taht it is "road worty" then this means to me that it was inspected.

2) Not everybody can afford to buy expensive "prized" boat and trailer for it. So we all play our luck by buying second and second-second hand boats, cars, etc. The only time when you can be relatively sure that there is no problems is when you are buying brand new item. Even if the boat is 10 days old it can have so many problems from PO that will take years to fix.

3) I bout a car long ago from the salvage yard. It had some minor damage to it and I was going to fix it myself, but even in the contract it said in several places that it is "not road worthy" and it "must be fixed and recertified" before taking on public roads.

4) And guys once again it is not the 1000 price tag. it is lack of responsibility on behalf of the dealer. For that matter they may have gotten this trailer for 1000 dollars, threw in FREE boat on it and sold it as the package. So now you have 1000 dollar trailer. Should this happen to 1000 dollar trailer?

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Personally, I would never put a $250 trailer under my prized boat. Nor would I even think of using a $750 boat. As one previous poster pointed out, the boat is probably junk too.

You must be new here.

Alpheus

Lieutenant Commander

As one previous poster pointed out, the boat is probably junk too.

WRONG!!!

This boat has one soft spot at the ski-locker and thats it. I have drilled more holes than I can count in the deck and transom of this boat looking for more rot and cant find any. The engine runs like new and every little option this boat came with works perfect. If the boat was junk I would have had it hauled over the dealership a long time ago and this thread would not exist. I made out on the deal when came to the purchase of the boat. I bought it not knowing if it ran or not. I am fixing the soft spot for this season but I will replace the deck next winter...

The whole point of this thread is that, did I, (because I listened to him) and a salesman/dealership knowingly put my life or others lives on a public highways in danger...

reelfishin

Captain

I think I'd take the $250 and just stay away from that dealer from now on.
Even though it's not a replacement trailer, it still is 25% of what you paid, making that a $750 boat, even though there basically is no trailer with it. Go out and find a good used trailer on Craigslist, even if you have to junk an old boat to get one.
If you keep the old trailer, strip it down for its wheels and brake parts if they are still usable, maybe the folding tongue parts can also be salvaged? Then scrap the frame for what ever you can get. You can use what ever trailer you buy to haul the old frame to the junk yard.

While I don't think there's any doubt the dealer pulled a fast one here, it's still looks like your happy with that boat for the purchase price. Its all the talk of that trailer being roadworthy that's the problem but as a businessman, I really don't see the dealer taking a beating money wise to pony up a better trailer, chances are the one that was under it is already sold.

What I'd guess that happened went something like this: The dealer had that boat on a nice aluminum trailer, you expressed interest in the boat, someone else made an offer on the trailer but had no interest in the I/O powered boat but was willing to pay for the aluminum trailer. He sold the trailer for what it was worth, then had to put that boat onto any trailer he didn't value much so he could dump the boat cheap since it now was an older boat, with an I/O which now didn't have a matching trailer sitting on his lot. He most likely was looking at it as a way to kill two birds with one stone, he got rid of an older boat that needed some work, and got out from under a trailer that he couldn't sell with a good boat. In other words, he made his money by selling the trailer, not the boat.

I doubt he thought that trailer would ever flat out break, but I'm sure he knew it was far from perfect. I would bet he was thinking the same as everyone else here, that the trailer is only 4 years old and 'how rusty could it be'.

Chances are the salesman took some liberties as to how nice that trailer was, and quite frankly, may not be much of a judge of anything mechanically. I've been in and around car dealers my whole life, I can't remember meeting a single used car salesman that wouldn't at least stretch the truth a bit or one that really knew much about cars other than judging by outright appearance. Also, most dealers that I've been around who employ those type of salesmen usually are run by former salesmen.
I would bet that the dealer has a check sheet of sorts to justify a trailer's condition. It's more than likely nothing more than a sales tool. Most likely the dealer never even pulled a wheel on that trailer. I've been at car dealers where they pull one wheel, look at the tread, take a short test drive and if nothing falls off it passes with flying colors. Those in house inspection sheets aren't worth the paper they're written on. I've been the one inspecting a vehicle, listed long lists of what it needs only to be told to just fix the cosmetic stuff and bleed the brakes. I never signed off any unsafe vehicle, but most dealers just fill out one of those forms and sign a name to to anyhow, often it's not even a real employee.
Things like that is why I got away from working at car dealerships.

In many states there is a set amount where as a vehicle purchase is assumed to be AS-IS. Here I believe it's $2,499 and less. While this is certainly open to interpretation legally, it pretty much means you get what you pay for, regardless of any implied warranty.

I would also not have any problems with letting the name of that dealer be known once you get your $250 refund, I feel others should definitely know how they do business. If nothing else, it may affect how they treat the next guy, but I doubt it. They will just be glad you went away.

boatflipper

Chief Petty Officer

WOW...this thread is epic....

Alpheus

Lieutenant Commander

I 100% agree with what you just said. That is probably exactly what happened to the original trailer. Like I said I would drop this whole thing if I could tell him that face to face, or at least on the phone.

Mr. Salesman or the owner of the dealership if you are reading this please call me. I promise I am not gonna yell at you. I just want to talk. I will forgo any money or replacement trailer if you would just call me. I can't hit you over the phone. Just call...

JimS123

Fleet Admiral

WRONG!!!

This boat has one soft spot at the ski-locker and thats it. I have drilled more holes than I can count in the deck and transom of this boat looking for more rot and cant find any. The engine runs like new and every little option this boat came with works perfect. If the boat was junk I would have had it hauled over the dealership a long time ago and this thread would not exist. I made out on the deal when came to the purchase of the boat. I bought it not knowing if it ran or not. I am fixing the soft spot for this season but I will replace the deck next winter...

The whole point of this thread is that, did I, (because I listened to him) and a salesman/dealership knowingly put my life or others lives on a public highways in danger...

OMG, I hope you epoxied all those holes back up. A little water intrusion and the rot will come faster than you can imagine.

Dealers are in business to make money. They sold the boat for what they thought it was worth. They didn't sell a $5000 boat for $1000 just to get rid of a trailer.

This thread reminds me of a day a few years ago when I took my boat in to my dealer to have the annual govt. (state) required trailer inspection (and sticker). Another customer had his boat in for some glass repair. Seems he hit a piling and cut a 3 foot gash in the bottom. The boat was off the trailer and tipped at a 45 degree angle to make the repairs. The owner was crying and the repairman was scratching his head. Seems the bottom was craze cracked all over and the hole revealed that the guts of the hull (stringers) was completely rotted. The dealer estimate of repairs was what was making the owner cry. The problem never manifested itself externally (except for the craze cracking of the gelcoat but nobody noticed it). The floor was strong and the owner had no clue everything was rotten inside.

If you want to check the hull by drilling holes, check out where she runs. That's what's most important.

Yeah, I'm new around here, but I've owned boats for 45 years. My everyday kick around fishing boat is an aluminum 14 footer that I paid $1200 for when she was 24 years old.

I stand by my opinion. I'd want to refund the whole deal.

PiratePast40

Lieutenant Commander

The dealer and salesmans refusal to talk to you on the phone seems like more of an insult than the rusted trailer.

Status
Not open for further replies.