interior8.JPG
    114.1 KB · Views: 3
  • interior9.JPG
    interior9.JPG
    95.6 KB · Views: 3

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: You Guys Inspired Me!!!!

I think the perscription for this disease is an hour of Craigslist a day takes the pain away.

Oh no. That's just inhaling a fresh dose of virii to incubate. :lol:

Don't know about the S-18 stickum. Hope it holds cuz the vinyl looks great. As well as the rest of the boat. :D

jbcurt00

Staff member

Did you use spar VARNISH or spar urethane?

How many coats in total & how long since the last coat?

Rough & scuff slightly before the glue went down?

You mentioned that the glue seemed to react w/ the varnish, react how? Softening the varnish?

Spar varnish can take a fairly long time to fully cure, even longer w/ multiple coats. I suspect that although dry to the touch, the previous coat(s) wasn't cured when another was put on. It's probably the solvents in the spar & glue reacting to 1 another, specifically the glue's solvents & the spar's not yet fully cured surface.

S-18 has the following solvents:Heptane, Toluene, Acetone, Ethyl Acetate

I suspect those ^^^ attacked your spar.

barato2

Commander

i think Jas is pretty correct there. it should stick well enough considering that the outer edges will have side panel boards holding it down

InMotion

Commander

Hey man,

Looking sharp!!! Nice work there! Just getting caught up...

I found it took an extra day or two for it to really adhere. Patience I guess is the word to use when gluing to to Spar... In the end after 2 seasons now... no issues with pealing or lifting at all!

Keep up the great work!!

J.

cpdchap

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Did you use spar VARNISH or spar urethane?

How many coats in total & how long since the last coat?

Rough & scuff slightly before the glue went down?

You mentioned that the glue seemed to react w/ the varnish, react how? Softening the varnish?

Spar varnish can take a fairly long time to fully cure, even longer w/ multiple coats. I suspect that although dry to the touch, the previous coat(s) wasn't cured when another was put on. It's probably the solvents in the spar & glue reacting to 1 another, specifically the glue's solvents & the spar's not yet fully cured surface.

S-18 has the following solvents:Heptane, Toluene, Acetone, Ethyl Acetate

I suspect those ^^^ attacked your spar.
It was spar varnish and I put on 4 coats, it has been on about a month since I coated it. Also, before I put down the S-18 I sanded the whole thing with 220.........Now time for confession!.... The night before I put in the vinyl I noticed a very small deflection between 2 pieces of deck and it kept bugging me so I sanded it down flush and then:facepalm:recoated that small area with spar!...... So when the S-18 hit it, it instantly reacted, so I knew I kind of blew it on that but then it made me start to wonder about the rest......it seams to be ok, just one of those sick to your stomach moments when you know that you really knew better. So I think you are very correct a complete cure before S-18 glue. Thanks for the help.

cpdchap

Petty Officer 2nd Class

i think Jas is pretty correct there. it should stick well enough considering that the outer edges will have side panel boards holding it down

Barato I do agree......between seat bases, consoles, side panels, and very secure edges I think it will be fine.

cpdchap

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hey man,

Looking sharp!!! Nice work there! Just getting caught up...

I found it took an extra day or two for it to really adhere. Patience I guess is the word to use when gluing to to Spar... In the end after 2 seasons now... no issues with pealing or lifting at all!

Keep up the great work!!

J.
Thanks again for the bump in the direction of vinyl, I really like it and am very glad that's the direction I went.

dozerII

Admiral

Interior is looking real sharp cp, again I like the color choices.

cpdchap

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Nobody warned me!!!!!!!!!!!!

How life in general, work, vacations, family and chores get in the way of boat building. I have not touched the SS for a month in light of the above list......More bad news it's hunting season for the next couple months, so it will probably be November before I dive back in........I didn't want anyone to think I threw in the towel. Just hobbie jumping for a few weeks. Hope everyone is having a productive summer.
AP

PRIORITIES!

Attachments

• big buck.JPG
    big buck.JPG
    87.8 KB · Views: 2

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

When you are hauling in racks like that, it's all good!:thumb:

ShowMeGuy

Chief Petty Officer

Nice lookin mulie... Didn't know they had anyplace to hunt in SoCal! ?? :)

cpdchap

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Nice lookin mulie... Didn't know they had anyplace to hunt in SoCal! ?? :)

That is Wyoming......but yes there is LOTS of socal muley hunting, you just have to work for em!

cpdchap

Petty Officer 2nd Class

How is that for a long break? I would love to have some really cool story as to why I have been out of the loop so long but it is one very simple ugly word, WORK!......Our business has been very very busy since November. So we went from hunting season to crazy work weeks, many of them being 80 hrs +. Not looking for sympathy just figured I would tag in. We just closed the last crazy contract on Friday so I was trying to get my head back in the "Boat" game today, I almost feel like I am starting over, but I am sure I will figure out where I am at pretty quick. Hopefully we will see some progress here pretty quick.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Get back to work, CP. I mean on the tinny, not the one that pays for the tinny and goodies. Glad you'll be getting some boat work in. :D

dozerII

Admiral

Good to see you back cp, quality boat time in the near future, good stuff.

classiccat

"Captain" + Starmada Splash Of The Year 2020

Welcome back cpdchap!! I hear ya on the long work hours man...but now it's time to feed us! :madgrin: :hungry: :lol:

InMotion

Commander

Welcome back CP! Ya gotta do what ya gotta do man! Glad that things are slowing a little for you to be able to get back at it before the spring/summer!

J.

spegtoast

Petty Officer 2nd Class

WElcome back! Get some dirt under the nails, it will come back to you.

cpdchap

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Well guys here is a quick run down of this last week. I purchased all the bases and pedestals for all the seating, also purchased the transom caps from "michealp". I have been trying to land a deal on a motor but would find one then get busy and miss it.... blah blah blah excuses excuses.......so found one yesterday made the deal and picked it up today. It's mounted on a fiberglass ski boat and a nice trailer but its what I wanted. 85 Horse Merc.......I am not so much a diehard merc fan although they are great, I just really wanted the Merc look on this project plus I wanted more HP than the 50 Johnson that was on there. So motor swap time and then I will sell the ski boat and trailer and basically get the merc. for free. I am excited to be back in the restoration game......I posted a few pictures of the sacrificial fiberglass boat.....its giving up its heart for a tinny......doesn't get any better!new boat.jpgnew motor.jpgnew motor2.jpg