You Guys Inspired Me!!!!

spegtoast

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: You Guys Inspired Me!!!!

Beutiful paint scheme! You should changed your thread heading to "I will inspire you".

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Thanks GA, I did not know regular insulation foam was dense enough...I can handle 4x8 sheet!!

Lots of us use the same stuff. Nice thing is it can be packed tighter (less air spaces) than noodles. And since it's rigid, it can sit on top of the ribs and allow water :)eek:) to run into the bilge.

lakelover

Rear Admiral

You can use the noodles to supplement your rigid foam by stuffing it in any empty spaces that the board won't fit into. Here's what I did under my bow, I still have some tweaking and filling in to do. If you hit it right, you can find noodles for a buck apiece.

cpdchap

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have no problem fitting it in there, Im on it, CANCEL the pool:laugh: no noodles!

On another note, I was always bothered by not having the flooring tie together because marine plywood does not come in tongue and groove. So I got a router bit set that cuts tongue and groove so now my floor will be 3/4 marine tongue and groove! I know I am anal but I hate that little bit of deflection at a non mated joint.

GA_Boater

I have no problem fitting it in there, Im on it, CANCEL the pool:laugh: no noodles!

On another note, I was always bothered by not having the flooring tie together because marine plywood does not come in tongue and groove. So I got a router bit set that cuts tongue and groove so now my floor will be 3/4 marine tongue and groove! I know I am anal but I hate that little bit of deflection at a non mated joint.

There is a cure for that too, CP. :joyous:

barato2

Commander

a cure for deflection or for being anal?

CP, what some of us have done is use our scrap from cutting flooring to make backers at the junctions between floor sections, sort of a beefed version of what the factory did with those flimsy AL strips. i think that;s what GA is alluding to, since he's one of the guys who did that and are very happy with result.

GA_Boater

It goes back to this, B.

Zero- I use foam board and get more flotation per $. And more flotation per cubic foot also. My opinion.

Ok GA, don't leave me hanging here.....what foam board did you use? I am not locked into noodles but was't going to pay 70 bucks for a 2x4 piece of foam either.

I'm playing with CP. :lol:

And yes, the scrap ply doublers work like a charm. I only had one AL strip when I pulled up my floor. Yes the joint did flex there. I did the doubler thing and King Kong couldn't make the floor flex. But how would I know that? If KK was in my boat, I would be doing the run on top of water like the old cartoons. :eek: Dozer does the same thing in all his re-do's too.

Call a Proctologist for the anality cure. :laugh:

odyssey350kc

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Great job on the painting, almost looks like a highly polished firetruck or boat.

I used the pink foam insulation sheets from home depot as well, I think I used three 4'x8' one inch thick sheets to do my 15 footer.

InMotion

Commander

Yup doublers are the way to go... just remember to leave a cut out in the foam for the doubler to fit...

J.

cpdchap

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Well I finally got a little time to tinker on the SS today, so I cleaned her out super good scrubbed and shop vacced out all the little crevices including down the center under all runners. Then epoxy sealed all the joints and rivets. While it was drying I put the fenders back on the trailer and startedputting polished trim pieces back on. Once my joints dried I started putting in my foam. I bought three sheets and ran out so tomorrow will get a few more pieces and finish it. Monday I plan on fitting the floor and transom then getting some coats of spar throughout the week.

Attachments

• boat trim.JPG
    boat trim.JPG
    115.5 KB · Views: 3
  • boat trim2.JPG
    boat trim2.JPG
    118.2 KB · Views: 3
  • insulation.JPG
    insulation.JPG
    132.4 KB · Views: 3

GA_Boater

Foam looks good, CP. Is that a mix of 1 and 2" foam? Trailer is A-One. :D

cpdchap

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Foam looks good, CP. Is that a mix of 1 and 2" foam? Trailer is A-One. :D

All 1" and it worked out great........I was able to slide a piece in between each stringer and held it back a couple inches in the center then layed it the other direction to finish and it flushed out perfect.

InMotion

Commander

Good stuff man... glad to see you a moving to the floor next... that is a good milestone!

Keep chipping away and before you know it you'll be on the water.

J.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

The red is looking amazing. I believe you have the "wrong" kind of foam there but it's pretty much what the factory used.

dozerII

Admiral

Nice progress, you will be standing on your new deck before you know it.

ShowMeGuy

Chief Petty Officer

Very nice work on the paint n polishing man...

cpdchap

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Well got the deck all cut and fitted in the SS, but once I got it set in I straight edged it and it drops down as it gets toward the bow, so I am going to see if I can get some aluminum angle and put some cross pieces in on the last 4 stringers so the floor is flat and solid. Whatever I come up with I will post some pics. This picture the floor is just sitting there and is not attached at all.

Attachments

• floor.JPG
    floor.JPG
    94.9 KB · Views: 1

lakelover

Rear Admiral

Your paint job looks great! Looks like a good amount of foam, is it closed cell? If not, it might become waterlogged eventually. Your floor looks good, curious to see what you'll come up with to correct the pitch.