WHy don't people buy Proper Tow Vehicles?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kyle f

Chief Petty Officer
Re: WHy don't people buy Proper Tow Vehicles?

I think too many people get caugt up in the can it pull it and can it stop it. Sure... maybe it can, but you cant drive every where in 4x4 low, and it doesn't make it safe going down hill through corners and if you have to make a quick manuver.

I have since upgraded my Bronco to a 2001 Eddie Bauer Expedition. It makes toing the boat much much easier.

I still have the Bronco though, cause I just love it.

HyperFox

Petty Officer 3rd Class

lol.. This is why I have my Dodge grand caravan hauling around my little aluminum boat.. Me and 3 guys can pick the boat up off the trailer.. So Im thinking it might be 200 pounds or so.. Trailer is a good 300..

I think I'm safe for hauling the boat up. Any Suggestions?

Now This summer past I saw a Chevy tracker getting hauled out of the water by 3 tow trucks..

(Followed by a nice 21 ft bayrider)

95yj

Petty Officer 1st Class

You mean this doesn't look right?

Attachments

• IMAGE_162 resize.jpg
    IMAGE_162 resize.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 0

guy74

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Looks OK to me. But then again, I tow with my Trans Am sometimes and was told that was bad. :D I bet it gets pretty wild if you go very fast, if that YJ is anything like the CJ I used to tow a Ski Natique with.

achris

More fish than mountain goat

You sell the X5 very short, Kyle. If it can't handle that boat your Bronco would drown trying.

It's not the X5, it's the stupid tyres that the moron manufacturers supply with them. I have been to so many new vehicle dealers and I see every single 4WD with highway tyres.... I ask 'Why doesn't that 4WD have offroad tyres?" I get told that the buying public don't want offroad tyres because they don't go offroad.... Here's a bulletin for all the people out there thinking of buying a 4WD:

IF YOU DON'T INTEND TO USE THE VEHICLE OFFROAD, OR YOU'RE NOT TOWING SOMETHING HEAVY, DON'T BUY A 4WD!!!!

Nothing peeves me more than idiots driving 4WD as shopping trolleys.

And for those that do buy them GET PROPER TYRES YOU IDIOTS!!!

Who's next on the soapbox?

Chris...............

HyperFox

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I have to agree.. Its a pet peeve of mine to see a Hummer with insanely huge bush guards, off road lights, skid plates.. And... 24" wheels. And has never seen the dirt road.

I know I use a minivan for towing the boat. Which is a lot less then ideal really. But its what I have to work with. I don't make much in the work I do, and its by a pure stroke of luck that I have the boat. Ive contemplated getting an old beater for pulling the boat, but for the cost of buying a 2nd vehicle, insuring, maint, gas.. Its just not worth it when I can pay a few hundred and get a proper hitch.

Im just happy the boat is super light... I think the boat, trailer and motor might way on the light side of 600 pounds. I don't know for sure. I do know 3 guys can lift the boat off the trailer with the outboard attached, and 2 of us can lift the trailer. With any luck the van shouldnt go sliding down the ramp.. Which really is my only fear.

Am I just nervous?

sidechoke67

Petty Officer 1st Class

I can't imagine that a minivan would know that 600 lbs are back there.

I used a 2000 Ford Windstar to tow a 1,000 lb popup camper, and a 1,000 lb boat for years with no problems. We just traded it in for a Toyota Sienna (with tow package).

The Sienna has a curb weight of 4,400 lbs, a tow rating of 3,500 lbs, and a GCVWR of 8,700 lbs. In theory, I could tow 3,500 lbs and still have 800 lbs or payload room in the van. I wouldn't go near those limits, but that is what they are.

What are the ratings for your van?

Regardless of what you are driving and towing, I think everyone should do 3 things:

1) Go through the exercise of determing your vehicle ratings, and ensure that you are under the max for all of them. Some will say ensure you are under 90% or 80% of them. Here is a link for a worksheet to help with this. It is for campers, but can be customized easily for boats:
http://www.popthetop.com/files/TowingCapacityWorksheet.xls

2) Drive sensibly. i.e. not too fast, maintain proper stopping distances, etc.

3) Know your local conditions. i.e. if your ramp is steep and algae covered, you need to factor that in when you are determing what you can tow/retrieve. If you drive over steep hills, long distances, etc., you need to factor that in too.

If you are under 85% of your vehicle's ratings, drive sensibly, and run a short distance to a well-maintained ramp, any problems you have shouldn't be due to your choice in a tow vehicle.

HyperFox

Petty Officer 3rd Class

My Grand Caravan has a Rating for 1,800 pounds without the tow prep package, or 3800 with it. Now I don't know for sure if the van has the package, I don't see a tranny cooler anywhere (it could be part of the rad) so Im acting on it like it doesn't have the tow package just to be safe.

Even at 800 pounds I should be well within reasonable limits. Until I can haul the boat out to a set of scales. Ill never know for sure how much the boat and trailer weigh.

My area is littered with hills A huge one to get to the public ramps. Probably 400 feet long and changes 120ft in altitude by the time your up to the top of it.

The ramps themselves are at a beach area.. No algea from what I could tell, but they are always wet. The other ramp here charges a $5 launch fee, so a lot of people use this one. Hence why its always wet..

95yj

Petty Officer 1st Class

Now that is an accident, looking for a place to happen.

Except that I live on a small island and only have to take it a couple miles (when it's not sitting in its slip). Max speed limit is 60km and where I drive it, 40km. I'd never try something like that in the states at faster speeds with more distance to travel.

kyle f

Chief Petty Officer

I agree with the 4X4s and car tires on them. I am not saying get mudders wither, but atleast get a capable All Terrain Tire.

If you are hauling under a 1000lbs or in that area... you are probably good to go as the vehicle is probably made to carry that weight in the vehicle.

As for the weight/power/braking ability of a Trans Am. Yea... and it can also twist its own sub-frame with good traction. Not safe for stopping... the car is going to stop its self faster than the frame can withstand from the trailer. Flex, Loose traction, and slide your short wheelbase sports car right off the road one day. If it doesn't happen, count yourself lucky. Its just waiting for an idiot to pull out in front of you and cause it. Or a stranded car around the blind corner on a hill... etc.

If you think your Trans Am weight is the only thing to conside when comparing to a 2wd 1/2 ton truck... you missed physics class. Frame Stresses, Load on the suspension, Wheelbase lenght supporting moments... etc.

Same thign for other non-full framed, light car rated tire having, short car like wheel base, light weight, under torqued wanna be city slicker Trucks/SUVs. I get very scared when I see them.

Ofcourse, I originally started this thread when I saw a X5 trying, and not doing a very good job, of tryign to handle a 4500+lb boat and trailer. Not tryign to put in something light.

demsvmejm

Master Chief Petty Officer

My boat wieghs approx 2400#'s dry, figure 2800-2900 loaded and wet. My baby Blazer weighs approx 4000#'s, my Suburban, well it's alot (5300) and both would slide down the ramp with brakes locked. I usually try to engae 4WD before backing in to launch and 4Lo before pulling out. But even empty sometimes the sand on the ramp will cause a slight skid.

Saw an Intrepid launch an 18'er one day though, laughed all the way out the river into Torch Lake.

ocb_dave_ocb

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Kyle, u may want to watch out for me then, I live about 5 minutes from the Mountain Lake Marina, I will be launching at the ramp a few miles from that Marina at the state launch, Im not sure what my boat weighs, its a 17' Switzer with a 135 Evinrude.. I will weigh it when I get a chance... Anyway my tow vehicle is a 2007 Honda Ridgeline it is a UNI-BODY ladder style frame, rated to tow 5,000 pounds.. Has 247 hp and 245 lb.-ft. of torque. Do you think that will be acceptable?

I have not had the boat to the water yet, just got it a few weeks ago.. It did however do great going up my driveway, which is close to what the ramp angle is...

Let me know if any of you all would have a guess at what my boat weighs.. I know its under 4k Has to be..

S5030372.jpg

Let me run one by yall. We're shopping for a pontoon. The one were looking at is 22' Suncruiser LS220 w/ a 90hp 4s merc. I cant find the exact weight at the moment, but I am guessing a hull weight of less the 2000# then motor then trailer.

Our choices to pull with are her 2001 Chevy 1500 2wd v8 and my 2004 Explorer Ltd AWD w/ the big v8 and tow package. Tow sticker on mine says 7000# although I doubt I will ever get close to that.

I am planning on using the Explorer. Anyone think I will have any problems with a 20 or 22' pontoon with a 4s?

Thanks

sixgun95

Seaman

When I bought my boat,07 Chaparral 214, I had no tow vehicle. I came home and started searching, found a 96' F250 PSD, 4x4, 207K mi in excellent cond for $6000. Talk about an excellent tow rig, 7.3 diesel rocks! You guys are correct, if you buy a boat buy a sufficient vehicle to tow it with.

kyle f

Chief Petty Officer

Kyle, u may want to watch out for me then, I live about 5 minutes from the Mountain Lake Marina, I will be launching at the ramp a few miles from that Marina at the state launch, Im not sure what my boat weighs, its a 17' Switzer with a 135 Evinrude.. I will weigh it when I get a chance... Anyway my tow vehicle is a 2007 Honda Ridgeline it is a UNI-BODY ladder style frame, rated to tow 5,000 pounds.. Has 247 hp and 245 lb.-ft. of torque. Do you think that will be acceptable?

I have not had the boat to the water yet, just got it a few weeks ago.. It did however do great going up my driveway, which is close to what the ramp angle is...

Let me know if any of you all would have a guess at what my boat weighs.. I know its under 4k Has to be..

S5030372.jpg

Nah, you should be fine. Your boat is light.. I am thinking some where in the range of 1800-2000lbs just looking at the profile of it. I doubt it getting out of line will do much to twist your frame. You have to remember that what I was seeing was a pretty good size Ski Boat, with inboard V8, Tower, Gear, and a tandem trailer. Much heavier than what you are towing.

I have since upgraded, and no soley for the boat, to a 2000 F250 7.3L Powerstroke 4X4. Though, if you ever do get in trouble... just give me a yell. I can pull ya out of anythign now... Truck and all :eek:

krisnowicki

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Let me run one by yall. We're shopping for a pontoon. The one were looking at is 22' Suncruiser LS220 w/ a 90hp 4s merc. I cant find the exact weight at the moment, but I am guessing a hull weight of less the 2000# then motor then trailer.

Our choices to pull with are her 2001 Chevy 1500 2wd v8 and my 2004 Explorer Ltd AWD w/ the big v8 and tow package. Tow sticker on mine says 7000# although I doubt I will ever get close to that.

I am planning on using the Explorer. Anyone think I will have any problems with a 20 or 22' pontoon with a 4s?

Thanks

I tow a 3200 # four winns with a v6 explorer. I only go about 6-8 miles but It does fine no slipping on th ramp or anything

sinkum1958

Recruit

for all you people who give a crap what others are towing with, not everybody can be like you all. get a life hitler.

newbie4life

Chief Petty Officer

for all you people who give a crap what others are towing with, not everybody can be like you all. get a life hitler.

Wow.... who peed on your Post Toasties this morning?

Status
Not open for further replies.