WHy don't people buy Proper Tow Vehicles?

Status
Not open for further replies.

crackedglass

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: WHy don't people buy Proper Tow Vehicles?

Saw a guy the other day at the lumber yard, he was driving an older Dodge minivan towing a 2 axle car trailer, he had it loaded down with lumber and landscape timbers. He then thought that he would somehow be able to haul that load up the ramp and onto the highway. He never even moved, it just sat there and spun tires. The thing was loaded down so bad the front wheels were completely unloaded. No weight at all in the van. To make it more entertaining, two guys came along in a Toyota pickup, tied on a rope and then tried to pull the whole thing up the hill onto the road. The Toyota just sat there and spun two wheels at opposite corners. He probably had about 7500 lbs or so of lumber on the trailer. The next step was to try to hook the Toyota to the trailer, but they couldn't get the hitch up to the bumper height. I wish I had a camera, it would have made a good Youtube show.
They were pushing and pulling to no avail, I guess they never thought about getting a bigger truck or lightening the load. If they would have put some of the weight on the Toyota and some in the van, they would have had a chance, but even at that, there was no way that van would ever stop or control that trailer.

buckeyboy

Seaman

Saw a guy the other day at the lumber yard, he was driving an older Dodge minivan towing a 2 axle car trailer, he had it loaded down with lumber and landscape timbers. He then thought that he would somehow be able to haul that load up the ramp and onto the highway. He never even moved, it just sat there and spun tires. The thing was loaded down so bad the front wheels were completely unloaded. No weight at all in the van. To make it more entertaining, two guys came along in a Toyota pickup, tied on a rope and then tried to pull the whole thing up the hill onto the road. The Toyota just sat there and spun two wheels at opposite corners. He probably had about 7500 lbs or so of lumber on the trailer. The next step was to try to hook the Toyota to the trailer, but they couldn't get the hitch up to the bumper height. I wish I had a camera, it would have made a good Youtube show.
They were pushing and pulling to no avail, I guess they never thought about getting a bigger truck or lightening the load. If they would have put some of the weight on the Toyota and some in the van, they would have had a chance, but even at that, there was no way that van would ever stop or control that trailer.
Moneys tight most likly trying to save a buck. Ive seen some weird things too just dosent make sense save 35 bucks and spend the day loaded down with lumber. their time has to worth somthing.;)

crackedglass

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Moneys tight most likly trying to save a buck. Ive seen some weird things too just dosent make sense save 35 bucks and spend the day loaded down with lumber. their time has to worth somthing.;)

Save a buck is one thing but thinking that your 25 year old minivan will haul a load like that up a loose stone hill is another. He had two things going against him, for one, it's a front wheel drive vehicle with no weight on the front wheels, and second, the load which was triple the weight of the van, was loaded so as to balance the trailer not to put some tongue weight on the van, it may actually have been lifting up the rear of the van a bit.

Then the Toyota was just a light a vehicle. I've been there with large trailers and a 1/2 ton truck, and with plenty of weight in the bed I could barely get up that hill, and knew that it could only be done with a running start. Stop at the top of the driveway and your stuck. I've even watched tractor trailers struggle hauling trailers out of that place.
You often have to stop at the top to let traffic pass, if you do, you have a really hard time getting moving again and if there's anyone behind you, they get pelted with driveway stones.

BigB9000

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I tow my big boat with a car!

...although, my full frame, rear wheel drive car has more power than most trucks do.

;)

alumi numb

Petty Officer 1st Class

What's the tow rating on a Schwinn?

7250d1201528135-my-homemade-bike-towed-canoe-trailer-ctrlr5.jpg
now that's beyond cool, love it!!!!!!!!!!!!
3000 miles on my bike last year.
father in law is an 82 year old ww2 vet/a&p and did 5000 miles last year.
what made einstein is he realized he wasn't smarter than the laws of physics so he desided to become friendly with them and it worked.
dodge/cummins tdi, 23 mpg empty and 20 mpg pulling my 22' starcraft islander.
to the dude with the 0 to 60 in 8 sec's firebird, i'll blow your friggen doors off and stop better too.
now that's a tow vehicle!!!:D:D:D:D
on top of that a good duramax will leave me behind.
most people just don't have a clue.
someone did say something about a proper tow vehicle didn't they?:cool:

ebry710

Ensign

Yesterday I was driving my E-350 towing a trailer and a thoughtfully soccer mom slammed on her brake on a busy street to allow a guy walking his dog to cross. I had given her distance, but still with all brakes squealing I managed to stop. The trailer still managed to push the back of my van slightly sideways. 6500#'s of van. I figured my electric trailer brakes weren't set exactly right.

I was fortunate I had a super duty truck, 35 mph speed, distance between me and crazy lady and some weight behind me. A lighter duty vehicle would have been trailer sandwich. New SUV's and the like with antilock brakes will always stop better then a tow rig.

AzCacher

Recruit

Well, after reading this... I guess I'm going to have to invest in something a bit more appropriate. Right now I am using a station wagon - 93 Chevy Caprice classic w/350 (er... 5.7).

Been lucky so far. Probably won't last.

If it goes under before I manage to get another tow vehicle, I'll be sure to post the pictures.

-V
I understand completly. When I bought my first boat, I would have pulled it by hand to get that sucker into the lake. It was every last penney I had and we pulled it many, many times with our little 4-cly Chrysler K-Car. I had such a big grin on my face when we were in the lake I could care less what on-lookers thought...

pmat1

Petty Officer 1st Class

My neighbors have late 80's, early 90's ebtide boat with a i-6 115hp outboard. They put a hitch on their Saturn, ofcorse without telling me knowing i would probabily ***** them out, they got it to the ramp SOMEHOW, and ended up snapping the u joints. i pulled their car and boat up from the ramp with my ratty old trooper :cool:

Stachi

Lieutenant Commander

I can't believe I read the multiple responses and nobody gave the right answer. Car brakes are often 60/40 or 70/30 front to rear split. When you put a car in reverse down a ramp that is rear wheel drive the rear wheels are pulling you down the ramp and the only brakes are on the front wheels and all the weight has shifted to the back. Put the car in neutral when backing down or even put it in L1 and the problem is solved. That is why a truck that slides down a ramp backing in will easily pull a boat out.

I agree , I have an extremely steep driveway and when it gets iced over , the only way I could safely drive down the driveway without ending up in my garage door was to put it in neutral to keep the trans from over powering the brakes due to the 70/30 split on the brakes....reversing down a ramp in neutral will NOT harm your trans....how long will it actually be in neutral for anyway ????

Maclin

Admiral

I think the original controversy was not about having it in neutral when backing down the ramp but instead having it in a forward gear, that sparked quite a discussion. There is no need for it to be in reverse for sure, just use neutral and moderate braking and let the weight pull it down in a controlled manner.

I see alot of this at our little boat ramp...when it is low tide the ramps are very long and you end up out in the bare ground most of the time, then have to make it back up in all of the seaweed, moss, algae, etc.

I have had to pull 4 guys out of the water so far...it is kind of fun for me...usually gets me a free lunch or some drinks for the water. :)

My truck (2000 HMCO) is not really made for towing things, but I know it is able to do the boat...one of the reasons that I bought it! :)

TitanTea

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have a Grand Cherokee which isnt a true truck frame vehicle....I also have seen a Honda Civic pull a Sea-doo out of the water with its front wheels damn near burning out....Who cares what you pull your toys out of the water with as long as you arent hurtn anyone? Not everyone has the money to buy a "special" trailing vehicle but still want to boat...I say boat on with what you got! Screw the Arrogant! :D

kc95gt

Cadet

Why does it matter whether the tow vehicle is sub frame or full as long as it's within towing capacity? I would be willing to bet that the X5 tows better and more comfortably than an old Bronco, especially if the X5 is a V8. My wife's 4x4 Jeep Liberty tows much better all around than my old F150 did. My new F150 however is a different story. Either way, as long at what you are towing is well within the rated towing capacity, it's all about the driver. You could get some idiot out there in a F350, but if he doesn't know what he's doing, the truck doesn't even matter.

H20Rat

Vice Admiral

You could get some idiot out there in a F350, but if he doesn't know what he's doing, the truck doesn't even matter.

exactly! I tow roughly 1700 pounds ready to go curb weight with my car, rated for 2000 pounds. I've grown up driving and towing pretty much everything imaginable. The driver is by far the biggest issue. An f350 with a 1500 pound load can be extremely dangerous given the wrong nut attached to the wheel! (ever see a trailer with neutral tongue weight start to sway? Doesn't matter what vehicle is attached, the tow vehicle could be rock solid and the trailer is still going to end up covering a couple lanes!)

samm835

Chief Petty Officer

Just a heads up for the last 3 or 4 posters.....its not always about "IF" your car/truck can pull it. It MATTERS how your truck is set up when you decide you need to stop on a dime. subframe vehicles may seem that they pull better, but the do not stop better and the frames act different when being pushed from behind (stopping with heavy trailer). Either way, just because your vehicle is rated for "x"lbs.....doesn't mean you should be towing that weight, I dont care if your a truck driver for life, it still isn't safe to do so. I won't keep going, but trust me when I say, if your towing a boat/pwc with a civic......please stay the hell away from where I boat. BTW I do know its expensive to buy another vehicle for towing only, but then again that is part of the "boat price". People need to make sure they tow correctly.

jonesg

Admiral

Old thread, someone shoot it.!
Its just preachy opinions.

jtmarten

Master Chief Petty Officer

, especially if the X5 is a V8.

The X5 is 5-series based, and has the 300hp/325lbft 4.4L V8, same as my 540i. If it had "Summer Performance" tires, the driver was a fool. I won't even drive mine with the summer set in hard rain or slick conditions, the performance tires just don't do well in the wet.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

This is/was/will be an unfriendly thread and there was no need to dig it up again. Closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.