WHy don't people buy Proper Tow Vehicles?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bigprairie1

Commander
Re: WHy don't people buy Proper Tow Vehicles?

One thing I don't recall seeing mentioned here: Tires. What kind of tires were on this vehicle?
If it is a somewhat 'sporty' sport utility they tend to have sporty low profile tires. Rarely aggressive lug/traction pattern and usually specified for street handling and performance etc.
This would have made a bigger difference than most people may realize.
4wd/Awd and a bit of weight doesn't mean you are suddenly home free on all surfaces although it is not uncommon to believe so.

MikDee

Banned

I recently bought the boat in my signature, and figure the total weight about 2.5k, I originally figured on using my 96' GMC Sonoma 4.3 V6 (S-10 style pickup) Auto. 2WD, with a supposed 4k tow rating, But, after a few tries, I gave up, and use my Hyundai Tucson LX 2.7 V6 AWD it does a better job! The Sonoma seems to struggle some all along, and backing the boat up the slight incline of my driveway, it seems like it's gonna drop the tranny, I guess the stock 3:08 gearing doesn't help. The Tucson with close to 180hp, and stock 4:40 gearing, tows it along pretty good, and backing up the driveway is a non issue, and on the plus side, it's primarily front wheel drive, but the automatic AWD kicking in when needed really helps, especially at the ramp.

kyle f

Chief Petty Officer

I recently bought the boat in my signature, and figure the total weight about 2.5k, I originally figured on using my 96' GMC Sonoma 4.3 V6 (S-10 style pickup) Auto. 2WD, with a supposed 4k tow rating, But, after a few tries, I gave up, and use my Hyundai Tucson LX 2.7 V6 AWD it does a better job! The Sonoma seems to struggle some all along, and backing the boat up the slight incline of my driveway, it seems like it's gonna drop the tranny, I guess the stock 3:08 gearing doesn't help. The Tucson with close to 180hp, and stock 4:40 gearing, tows it along pretty good, and backing up the driveway is a non issue, and on the plus side, it's primarily front wheel drive, but the automatic AWD kicking in when needed really helps, especially at the ramp.

Your issue was the gearing. Your not a peak torque usually when ou are just getting moving, so the added gear ratio multiplication will help.

From my vantage point, it appeared that the weight of the boat pulling on the BMW as it got out of line with the vehicle started to tweak the chassis a bit and pull weight of one of the front tires.

I will take a lower powered, full framed vehicle over a subframe vehicle for towing, hauling, or running off raod anyday. Especially if they have similar towing capacities.

v1_0

Chief Petty Officer

Well, after reading this... I guess I'm going to have to invest in something a bit more appropriate. Right now I am using a station wagon - 93 Chevy Caprice classic w/350 (er... 5.7).

Been lucky so far. Probably won't last.

If it goes under before I manage to get another tow vehicle, I'll be sure to post the pictures.

-V

xtrema2

Cadet

As far as tires go, on a clean concrete ramp you are better of with street tires or a slightly agressive all terrain tire than a really agressive mud tire. Lots of people think that the big meaty mud tires are great for things such as towing boats up and down the ramps. It just isnt that way. If you have a 9 inch wide street tire,as opposed to a 9 inch wide mud tire,you will have a lot more rubber on the ground, resulting in more traction. Kind of like slicks in drag racing

kyle f

Chief Petty Officer

Well, after reading this... I guess I'm going to have to invest in something a bit more appropriate. Right now I am using a station wagon - 93 Chevy Caprice classic w/350 (er... 5.7).

Been lucky so far. Probably won't last.

If it goes under before I manage to get another tow vehicle, I'll be sure to post the pictures.

-V
Really depends on what kind of rating you car has. I think those were still on a frame? Possibly not. Also, depends a lot on what you are trying to tow. You mihgt have traction issues though.

One thing you have in you favor with the LT1 is pleny of torque.

Apathetic

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Really depends on what kind of rating you car has. I think those were still on a frame? Possibly not. Also, depends a lot on what you are trying to tow. You mihgt have traction issues though.

One thing you have in you favor with the LT1 is pleny of torque.

You're right, it's a full frame. Not a bad tow vehicle depending on what you're towing, lol.

sari

Cadet

whats it to you what they drive i hate stingy people like serzly lolz

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Thanks Les!

pgdignan

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I guess my old mercedes diesel 300 d sedan would really freak you out at the ramp. Still does the job. :p:redface:

Bigprairie1

Commander

I guess my old mercedes diesel 300 d sedan would really freak you out at the ramp. Still does the job. :p:redface:

Well that would probably weigh more than most newer small trucks which would count for something.

I started out with my 4WD Ford F150 then switched to my little blue S10. Been thinking about using my little red S10. Guess if I thought torque was a concern I could start using my F350 but it has absolutely no traction without an extreme load. Maybe I should put my blue AND red S10s in the back to load it down. Or maybe I'll just continue to use my little blue S10 with the narrow tires since the ramp I use is long with little slope. Maybe it really doesn't matter since it's only about 5 miles to the lake. Maybe I'll do a study: MPG/Overall Operating Costs/Torque/Traction/Looks Cool. Did I miss any parameters for the study?

greg_upnorth

Seaman Apprentice

just gonna add my 2 cents for what it's worth:
for a new boater starting out, and if the income is limited, instead of buying "the proper tow vehicle" for the boat, why not buy the proper boat for the tow vehicle?

In my case, it was the year 2000, and i had a major jones'n for a boat to put-put around in and to go fishing. only problem...i had bought a new hyundai elantra earlier in the year, and it was my only vehicle.
after looking around i ended up on a solution...some guy was selling a used fiberglass 12 footer (11 feet 7 inches actually) w/ trailer for $100 bucks. the boat and trailer combo was so lite i coulda made extra cash as a rick-shaw operator. (boat roughly 100 #, the trailer the same, a little 4-horse evinrude about 35 #, puts me well under 300 total pounds).

flash forward to august of '07, decided it was time to graduate to a new boat. (well, new in the sense that it would be new to me...) current vehicles are 2000 windstar w/ 3.8 lit and 2003 ranger w/ 3.0. Max towing on the windstar is 3500 lbs w/ hd trailering package, ranger just over 4000. figuring my ranger would be my main towing vehicle, i started researching used boats locally that would possibly fit the bill weight wise (found out that NADA is a nice resource for checking more than just price). Ended up with the 16 foot open bow shown in my avatar. 1650 dry weight on boat (stern drive) figure 1000 on the trailer (a bit on the high end for that size...but i figure better safe than sorry) 20 gal gas tank would give me 160-180 lbs full, and maybe 200 lbs of extra gear when i go fishing (again, im figuring a bit high, i mean, how much can 3 rods and a tackle box weigh?) puts me just over 3000 lbs, give or take. well within the tow capacity of my ranger. so i ended up with a boat i can fish comfortably in (meaning i can actually stand up and stretch the legs without getting shook outa my boat by jet ski wakes), and also take my boys and the wife out for a brisk cruise around the lake.

The point i am coming around to is this... when you're shopping for a boat on a budget, fit the size and weight around the vehicle you will use to tow it with. if you do your research, it should save headaches down the road.

kyle f

Chief Petty Officer

For a new boater starting out, and if the income is limited, instead of buying "the proper tow vehicle" for the boat, why not buy the proper boat for the tow vehicle?

This is the truth, and what I did. I set my budget for boat/truck. Since my wife wanted a new boat, I had to buy an older truck. Once I had the Truck, I knew how big of a boat I could buy.

hibbert6

Petty Officer 1st Class

In 1981 my dad retired and moved near a lake. Decided he wanted a boat. We found one - an 18'tri-hull, maybe 8 years old. Asking price $4500. Took it out on the lake for a test ride, and loved it.

When we got back to the ramp, I asked the seller if we could try pulling the boat out with the truck we had - a 6cyl dodge stepside. He was skeptical, but let us try it. And "try" was all we could do. After about 10 seconds of smoking the clutch Dad gave up. We left in silence. I'd never seen him look so sad in my whole life.

Halfway home I got an idea. I asked "Dad, did you really like that boat?"
"It was exactly what I wanted" he replied. "You know, you could buy an old pickup for probably a thousand dollars." "No way", he replied.

We got home and checked the ads. Found 2 pickups in the price range. First one we looked at was a '68 Ford F250 with a 360ci engine and a hitch. And in pretty good shape. We called the boat owner, offered him $3500, settled on $4000, and bought the truck for $800.

Dad loved the truck even more than the boat. Sold the boat after 10 years then sold the truck. Now he tells me "Selling that boat was the best thing I ever did. Selling the truck was the worst."

Ezrider_92356

Chief Petty Officer

i dont have tow vehical problems i have 2 trucks an 95 gmc sierra 1500 short box regular cab 5 speed and an 89 Chevy silverado 1500 extended cab short box and automatic transmision and a motorhome tranny cooler and tranny temp gauge and an 14ft aluminum boat. both tow the boat like its not even there. i do alot of other towing as well and i mostly use the 89 for heavy loads as its equept with trailer breaks and 5th wheel hitch iv hauled loads of probably neer 10,000 lbs with both wich is more than they are rated for, the 95 is a little scary no trailer breaks and shorter wheel base. the 89 does fine though keep her down shifted out of overdrive watch the trans temp it slows a bit up hills but not too bad.

redfury

Commander

Used to have a 1989 GMC hi top conversion van with a 350 and a 700r4 tranny. It was old and weak, but it would pull my 17ft glastron just fine, though the tranny didn't like being in OD on a long trip.

I ended up getting rid of the van and got a 2wd Dakota with a V6. I was worried it would not have the traction, brakes or weight to handle the big boat ( I have a 14ft aluminum that I fish with primarily ). I had it stored at a friends house out in a field. My worry was getting it going after sitting for a winter. The truck has limited slip, so it pulled it out of his yard with little problem and off I went back to my house. I kept it out of OD and it handled the boat pretty darn good, including the brakes. I'm glad about that, though I'd feel better if I was running with a V8 at least and had electric brakes on the trailer, at least if I take the boat out for a long haul up north. Not worried about it at the moment as the boat is currently in 2 pieces...but it can handle it.

I've seen a Geo Metro hauling a 14ft boat, and I've seen a pretty plain jane Silverado pulling a ginormous cabin cruiser down the highway. That scared the hell outta me honestly. I've seen smaller 5th wheel campers than that boat.

hibbert6

Petty Officer 1st Class
Tire Tread Question

Tire Tread Question

I've been told that less rubber to the road is actually better in wet conditions, as it increases the weight per square inch of tire actually contacting the ground. So a 10" racing slick will grip dry asphalt better than a normal street tire, but in the rain, the slick will just float, and therefore spin. A 2000 lb 2wd truck on a pair of those slicks, at about 20 square inches of contact area each, = 50lbs per square inch. (2000 / [20+20])

But the 6" wide tire with grooves not only gives a place for the displaced water to go, but will have better traction due 2000 lbs divided by maybe 20 square inches of rubber = 100 lbs per square inch, therefore pushing the tire harder to the ground.

So it seems that an aggressive tire would work well on a slippery boat ramp, but from what people are saying here, I guess they're not too effective. Any thoughts as to why?

Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.