WHy don't people buy Proper Tow Vehicles?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Devious

Seaman
Re: WHy don't people buy Proper Tow Vehicles?

Youre better off with lots of edges to bite in (all terrain tire), instead of a few huge edges (mud tire). It is the same with snow and ice. Any time the road has packed down snow, the ATs work better than MTs. Once it gets deep/fluffy, the MTs will be the best.

Ezrider_92356

Chief Petty Officer

im my oppion your partialy right at highspeeds threw watter its better to have a skinnyer tire as its less likly to hydroplane but at low speed wider is better becouse of a larger contact patch,

kyle f

Chief Petty Officer

Mud Tires are designed to dig in and slig what it grabs out of the tread. A truck runnign off road with said tires makes a very different spray than a car stuck in a rut tryign to move, and the tread pattern is why.

THis does not work on a baot ramp because the tires have nothign to dig into. This digging effect is why they are so noisy on the street.

Slicks are great on dry pavement because you get the most area of contact patch. THough, your AT as said above, gives you some where to displace the water to.

D

DJ

Well, after reading this... I guess I'm going to have to invest in something a bit more appropriate. Right now I am using a station wagon - 93 Chevy Caprice classic w/350 (er... 5.7).

Been lucky so far. Probably won't last.

If it goes under before I manage to get another tow vehicle, I'll be sure to post the pictures.

-V

You're fine. That's a very long wheelbase vehicle, quite heavy and has plenty of weight over both axles.

I've had issues with short wheelbase vehicles and vehicles that tend to sit high.

Also, light vehicles with large tires can be a handful on a ramp. The last Ranger I had was like that. It would slide down the ramp with a 12' aluminum boat attached. The Ranger had large tires. Not the trucks fault, I've seen other makes, set up the same way, do the same. Some of the little trucks are so light in the rear that the rear breaks loose and there is not enough weight on the front to stop the skid.

I rigged up a system on the Ranger that fixed that issue. I put two plastic 55 gallon drums, in the bed up against the cab, laying down. I plumbed them together so I could pump both out, easily, when I got to the top of the ramp. I used the water to wash the boat. Worked like a champ, never slid again.

I used a through hull baitwell pump as the pumpout.

bscheper

Seaman

I can't believe I read the multiple responses and nobody gave the right answer. Car brakes are often 60/40 or 70/30 front to rear split. When you put a car in reverse down a ramp that is rear wheel drive the rear wheels are pulling you down the ramp and the only brakes are on the front wheels and all the weight has shifted to the back. Put the car in neutral when backing down or even put it in L1 and the problem is solved. That is why a truck that slides down a ramp backing in will easily pull a boat out.

Grunt_Sculpin

Seaman Apprentice

So if it is 4WD Automatic how are you suppose to back down? I have heard that neutral is bad for it and L1 is not going to back down.

sam7684

Cadet

Wow.... Now I'm going to be self-conscience next time I launch off at the marina with my Volvo car... :rolleyes:

Lone Duck

Master Chief Petty Officer

I'm with you kyl f ;
Shame on you guys , sitting there making fun of some nut that did not have a clue. If you would have gone and tried to tell him what he was doing wrong . He might have shot you, or called his lawyer or sicked his wife on you.:D

guy74

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Ther other night, I was hanging out at the Marina and saw a pet peeve of mine play out. I never understood why people insist on towing boats with Cars/Cross overs/SUVs not made to tow that kind of weight. QUOTE]

:DPlease don't go off on me if you see me pulling my V-156 with my Trans-am, OK. It's got more power and brakes than most fullsize pickups, makes a good scene at the ramp too. How many people have a tow vehicle that will go 0 to 60 in 8 seconds with their boat in tow?:D

jddenham

Petty Officer 1st Class

[ How many people have a tow vehicle that will go 0 to 60 in 8 seconds with their boat in tow?:D

That's with the transom saver installed on the Evinrude, right ??

guy74

Yep on the transom saver and strapped down really good. I wouldn't tow with the car anywhere but our local lake, it has really good boat ramps. When I go else where I use our Jeep Cherokee.

Fish n Geer

Petty Officer 1st Class

HE didn't have to do that. When I was goign to buy the boat, knowing the weight, I went out and got me a mechanically sound, rusyt Bronco with a C6 and a V8. Sure it doesn't have a lot of HP, but it has torque, and 4X4 for those slippery ramp conditions. Cost, $1500... didn't have to go trade my new Mustang in for a new F-150 and go deeper in debt. It was tempting though, I really like the new F-150's
4ti6251.jpg

You need torque and mass. Another thing a lot of people rely too heavily on is the trailor brakes. Do they not understand for the surge brake to work that the trailor has to be pushing on the vehicle?

I had a 95 all black Bronco XLT like that.Loved it.She had the BIG motor in it,could pass everything but a gas station.:D Regret getting rid of it at times especially in the winter here.

newbie4life

Chief Petty Officer

Ther other night, I was hanging out at the Marina and saw a pet peeve of mine play out. I never understood why people insist on towing boats with Cars/Cross overs/SUVs not made to tow that kind of weight. QUOTE]

:DPlease don't go off on me if you see me pulling my V-156 with my Trans-am, OK. It's got more power and brakes than most fullsize pickups, makes a good scene at the ramp too. How many people have a tow vehicle that will go 0 to 60 in 8 seconds with their boat in tow?:D

I'd be more concerned with the weight issue of the tow vehicle than I would be with 0-60 times while towing. Brakes are great, as long as you have enough weight in the car to stop the boat.

jimyoung

Petty Officer 1st Class

Well here is one way of hauling your boat.....found this on craigslist...for sale in portland I think.

Attachments

• Boat loader 1.jpg
    Boat loader 1.jpg
    7.2 KB · Views: 0
  • Boat loader 2.jpg
    Boat loader 2.jpg
    7.5 KB · Views: 0

Nos4r2

Lieutenant Commander

You may laugh at the vehicles we use to tow with over here but our trailers (yes, that IS the right spelling :p ) have to be braked at much lower weights than yours.

Saying that, my Isuzu Mu will tow a Mercedes Sprinter sideways up a 1 in 10 hill in low range 4x4. I did it a few weeks ago. There isn't any problem with my 18' boat and a 1 in 4 ramp.

guy74

I'd be more concerned with the weight issue of the tow vehicle than I would be with 0-60 times while towing. Brakes are great, as long as you have enough weight in the car to stop the boat.

Do you know how much a V-8 Trans-am weighs? Mine weighs about 4000lbs so that puts it inthe same class as 1/2 ton 2wd pickups. BTW I don't worry about the 0-60 time it was just put in for conversation. I probably have as good of an idea about towing things as anyone here, I spent several years as a truck driver pullind double and triple trailer sets. I think I understand the concept of controlling speed and momentum. The reason that most people get into trouble towing down the road is they try to drive like they do in their car.
Goodday,
Brian

Turin

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have seen a guy pulling out a bay liner with a toyota corolla.

No problem if you go slow.

bag007

Seaman

HI I read with interest this post... as for towing in England.. well.. yep I am English and I towed an RV there .. Caravan as it is called.
These are not like the american version .. they are much lighter. And to be honest from my experience they are a lot safer towers in England... There are speed limits .. 50 or 60 mph only.. not like here where its a rae to get everywhere. Trucks with boats flying past at 70+ mph here... In England you do that and you will see the blue lights.. Also .. the police stop you there and check to make sure your car or truck can tow that weight of trailer. You see fewer accidents there with towers ...
In england there is a towing expression.. only a fool breaks the 85% rule. That is if the trailer weighs more than the tow veh then you dont tow... Also you take extreme care if its between 85% and 100% of the tow veh. here geee.. you know most people are towing trailers loaded to more than the weight of the tow veh.. and thats scary.....

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Tire Tread Question

There are so so so many people that have NO clue about the PHYSICS involved in everyday life.It's sad but true.

Ayuh,............

But,......... I've been known to Cheat alittle sometimes............

100_3869.jpg

wildmaninal

Lieutenant Commander

Ayuh,............

But,......... I've been known to Cheat alittle sometimes............

100_3869.jpg

Poor truck :(. Now I can see using a Ford F600 or bigger to pull a load like that, or a big rig. How did that truck handle that load Bondo?

LOL I thought my father was crazy for pulling a load of oak logs to the wood yard with my short wheel base 2006 F150, later on he finally came out and said that he couldn't stop the truck while coming down the mountain and it really scared the heck out of him, :rolleyes: I wonder why.

P.S. The bottom done dropped out in Alabama, good grief at the rain.

Status
Not open for further replies.