Why are over 80% of Dock Chatters Republicans

johnson-liner

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Why are over 80% of Dock Chatters Republicans

Thank you, thank you................what'd I do? :p <br /><br />Well, you guys are gonna have to finish this one out without the likes of me cause I am gettin outa work in 20 mins! YEEHAW!! <br />(i'm one of those "at work posters")<br />And just how does a farm boy end up in a freakin cubicle at an insurance company in the city anyway? Damn this sucks.....makes me more than happy to drive an hour home to the sticks. Beware though...next fall, outa here, off to near Raleigh NC, and back into construction. DOUBLE YEEHAW! <br />Until next week my iboats friends.....

ebbtide176

Commander

hi DJ, good to see you posting here in DC again :D <br />and hi devon, i'm not posting much these days either but i'm still here.<br /><br />this topic was designed to inflame opinions, and it did a good job. i guess most of us are fairly tolerant of others, or we wouldn't be here. but there are extreme views from all sides thrown around. and you did provide a place to see most of the left-leaning members let off some steam. so now you can be happy, since the minority got their say ;) <br /><br />later...<br /><br />(amended so this post might just die ;) hey 12'r :D same to you ole bud )

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

Howdy, Ebb! It's good to see you here too,rascal!
58.gif

Homerr

Commander

This post still going?<br /><br /> :) <br /><br />H.

lakelivin

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Ken,<br /><br />PERFECT. You provided a reasonable, rational, answer to what I view as a valid question: (my paraphraze) why does the DC forum seem to be comprised of a greater proportion of 'conservative' members than the general population?.<br /><br />If yours had been the first response to the original question I think the thread should have ended there. <br /><br />p.s. JohnsonL, although I'd probably describe myself as more of an agnostic than atheist, I also tend to agreee with much of your philosophy regarding religion.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Originally posted by Fixin:<br /><br />
deadhorse.gif
<br /> <br /><br />Without a doubt, a Donkey, Fixin. The Donkey doesn't seem to want to ride anymore! :D

fixin

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Boomyal....I should have seen that one coming...ya got me :)

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Originally posted by Fixin:<br /> Boomyal....I should have seen that one coming...ya got me :)
:D :D

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

:D Y'all are too much!

gspig

Chief Petty Officer

Just wanted to kick the horse a little. I think I know where Woodrat comes from. I also believe that the Fed gov. shouldn't be the most powerful level of government. I think the current pyramid of power needs to be flipped. Local gov should be the most influential, it is closest to the people it is supposed to serve. Why should morals of people in NY City dictate the laws of people in Pigeon Sticks?

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

100% agreement with Woodrat on this one, if that is where he is comming from, GS.<br />But Mark calls himself an anarchist. This removes all need for name calling on my part for the forseeable future.<br />However---It also means that if the 'pyramid of power' (good analogy btw) were flipped to where you and I think it should be, Woodrat would be jumpin up and down trying to overthrow the state's powers. The reason I bring that to the forefront is,that ,as Pointer94 so aptly put it in another post, we have to give such power changes a "proctologic exam". And even tho Mark would sing the blues for a while, he at least, brings up the bad to temper the good, giving a clearer picture to all aspects of such a power change.<br />Every coin has a heads-n-tails.

dude33333

Seaman Apprentice

i definity agree with you theriver. i beleive everyone is entitled to their own opinions. but being a college student i observe that at least 80% of the students here are democrats and as for other forums, i am a frequent visiter of several others, saturn (car company) ones, go-ped ones, and college related ones. they all seem to be comparitivly democratic.<br /> IMO its because this is a boating forum. there must be some connection, its very interesting.

dude33333

Seaman Apprentice

ooops... i didnt read all the posts. <br /><br />i like the analysis of the posters here (kenimpzoom) (though i disagree with the family oriented one)<br /><br /> and think johnson-liner had a very valid well written thought on religion.

spratt

Lieutenant

Originally posted by johnson-liner:<br /> Spratt you could have just simplified that and said that you're against anyone who's not Christian......<br /><br />And here I've been living by my conscience this whole time!
Well, perhaps what I should have said is that I am "against" anything that is anti-christ...your post qualifies.<br /><br />
[/QB]I remember she always had a wooden cross w/ Jesus on it on her dresser.[/QB]
Jesus? You mean a "symbol" of Jesus, right? After all, there isn't anyliving person who even remotely knows what Jesus looks or looked like...and I am just splitting some hairs here on that...but I think it is awful to worship teh DEAD Christ when He actually is risen...<br /><br />
[/QB]Until then I don't care what religion anyone is or anyone isn't. Beleive what you want. [/QB]
Then why are you all up in arms over my post about my beliefs? Especially if it doesn't matter to you?<br /><br />
[/QB]I'm glad that there is religion...it shows some people the right path to follow. It's nice to know that there is something out there to teach people who might not have been able to gain any morals or good values from the way they were raised. [/QB]
Being raised with good morals is ok...but to not be taught about our God who gave Himself on the cross and took our sins upon Himself for our Redemption is remiss. I apologize for your failure to have had that wonderful opportunity.<br /><br />
[/QB]And I think that is the very basic foundation of almost all religions...to teach values. Unfortunately, as with a lot of other things, it can be taken too far and unfortunately some (maybe all?) teach that all other religions are full of it and wrong and inferior and people who don't think like you are inferior.... THAT is a shame. [/QB]
The shame is that people feel that "Religion" is all there is to ever have an opportunity to know about. What I have has nothing to do with "Religion"...thank God!!! I have had and continue to have a relationship with Jesus Christ on a very personl plane...I am able to talk with Him, listen to Him in return, follow His guiding, receive His blessings, experience His love...and I have the sweet knowledge that I have transferred that knowledge about God to my sons. <br /><br />And JL? The true shame and travesty is that there are too many people like you out there who don't give a rat's @@!$ about whether God lives or not...yes, THAT is the shame. Oh, and BTW...morals will never get you a seat in Heaven...Being a "good ol' boy" can't even buy a cup of coffee...sorry if I have busted any bubbles, but like you said yourself, I can believe what I want. So can you, but I can guarantee that when my turn comes, if I am right, my faith and beliefs will most surely keep me from becoming eternal fire fuel.

spratt

Lieutenant

I am appalled at how many folks tyhought JL's post on religion was good!!! His post was as unGodly as any I have ever read!!! If you all thought that was good, I think I am in the wrong place, since most here say they believe in God...and tehn to have some of the same ones congratulate JL on that bunk. <br /><br />But then, am I thinking in teh wrong vein of thought here? I am also not a believer in "Religion"...so if you look at it as an "anti-Religion" post made by JL, then yes it was good...but if one were to suppose that he posted about Christianity, and those who don't know the difference DO call it Religion, then I say he was so far off base as to be, of course in MY opinion, judged as an anti-Christ statement.<br /><br />And that, my friends, is very dangerous. And to think that all it took to bring that revelation out of him was my simple words....I am humbled.

woodrat

Ensign

Originally posted by 12Footer:<br /> 100% agreement with Woodrat on this one, if that is where he is comming from, GS.<br />But Mark calls himself an anarchist. This removes all need for name calling on my part for the forseeable future.<br />However---It also means that if the 'pyramid of power' (good analogy btw) were flipped to where you and I think it should be, Woodrat would be jumpin up and down trying to overthrow the state's powers. The reason I bring that to the forefront is,that ,as Pointer94 so aptly put it in another post, we have to give such power changes a "proctologic exam". And even tho Mark would sing the blues for a while, he at least, brings up the bad to temper the good, giving a clearer picture to all aspects of such a power change.<br />Every coin has a heads-n-tails.
hey 12, why don't stick to subjects that you know something about? What goes on in my world is not one of them! My definition of "anarchy" is completely different from yours, and I already noted that that is just a theory. I spend exactly ZERO energy trying to over throw the state. Libertarian is the closest real-world party affiliation I have ever been able to find. <br /><br />If the pyramid of power more more tilted towards local control, that would be moving in the right direction as far as I'm concerned. Get your GD republican justice department off of state's backs! i've noted this here time and again and no one will ever answer it. If the conservatives are really in favor of more local control, why the heck does their justice department spend so much time and money trying to overturn state initiatives that they don't agree with? I would say that its pretty clear eveidence that the repubs of today anyway, are very much about strong centralized government, and they have been growing it bigger and more powerful everyday, while being cheered on by all you "freedom" loving republicans.<br /><br />And as far as the value of me bringing up the bad to temper the good, you outright dismissed that other post of mine as lies of the democrats. I don't remember you having EVER been in favor of giving the neocon agenda a "proctological exam".

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

Originally posted by spratt:<br /> I am appalled at how many folks tyhought JL's post on religion was good!!! His post was as unGodly as any I have ever read!!! If you all thought that was good, I think I am in the wrong place, since most here say they believe in God...and tehn to have some of the same ones congratulate JL on that bunk.
<br />Not exactly.... It was not that his post was good,It was irrelevant, Spratt.<br />Besides. what you make reference to, is more like faith, than it is religion, and that's more important than anyone's opinion on religion. Keep the faith, bro.<br />Let those who claim to know God talk all they want. As you know, we only need to seek him, instead of him seeking us (which will never happen).

snapperbait

Vice Admiral

Me thinks Spratt read more into Johnson Liners post than what's there... <br /><br />Since we're dishing it out...
morals will never get you a seat in Heaven.
That's fine by me.. Heaven huh? That where yer gonna end up, eh Spratt?... I would'nt count my chickens before they were hatched, Dude... I don't think I'd wish to visit your "Heaven" anyway... Being in the company of the self richeous, holier than tho, hypocritically judgemental folks like certain persons on this here board, well, it sounds a whole lot like Hell to me...<br /><br />
but I can guarantee that when my turn comes, if I am right, my faith and beliefs will most surely keep me from becoming eternal fire fuel.
Well.. How can you guarantee it, when you question your own guarantee (ie. if I am right)? Better be sure... ;)