What's your favorite quotation?

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner
Re: What's your favorite quotation?

Ok, it's only a movie quote but I still love it!<br /><br />"fill your hands you son of a b*tch"

Dunaruna

Admiral

Boomyal, was that "Outlaw Josie Wales"?

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Twas the One Eyed Fat Man, Dunaruna. The Duke himself. John Wayne in True Grit. When he faced off Robert Duvall, in the meadow. Reins in his teeth, Colt in one hand, Winchester in the other. Don't make 'em like that anymore. :(

Skinnywater

Commander

They couldn't hit an elephant at this dist... - Last words of Union commander General John Sedgwick, spoken as he was watching enemy troops at the Battle of Spotsylvania Court House. <br /><br />If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking. - Gen. George Patton<br /><br />Whenever you find that you are on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect. - Mark Twain, Notebook 1904 <br /><br />If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you; but if you really make them think they'll hate you. - Don Marquis<br /><br />A politician thinks of the next election - a statesman of the next generation. - James Freeman Clarke<br /><br />America is at that awkward stage. It’s too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the ba$tards. - Claire Wolfe, 101 Things To Do Until the Revolution<br /><br />A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government. - Edward Abbey<br /><br />The radical invents the views. When he has worn them out the conservative adopts them. - Mark Twain<br /><br />It is not the function of our Government to keep the citizen from falling into error; it is the function of the citizen to keep the Government from falling into error. - Robert H. Jackson

oddjob

Commander

"He who cares less wins" Unknown other than my father.<br /><br />I dont remember were I heard this one:<br /><br />"ain't many who can out debate me..." Unknown

tylerin

Commander

"Show me a good loser and I'll show you a loser" ;)

mattttt25

Commander

and one of my favorite...<br /><br />"Any man who may be asked in this century what he did to make his life worthwhile, can respond with a great deal of pride and satisfaction, "I served in the United States Navy." <br /><br />President John F. Kennedy<br />United States Naval Academy Graduation, 1963<br />Annapolis, Maryland

ChrisMcLaughlin

Petty Officer 1st Class

"Endeavor to persevere"<br />Chief Dan George in the movie<br />Outlaw Josie Wales

mellowyellow

Vice Admiral

if you want to change your results, change your<br />meathods...<br />???

gaugeguy

Captain

"even if you finish first in the rat race, you are still a rat"...not sure, but I like it.

gaugeguy

Captain

Originally posted by trblshtr:<br />"Endeavor to persevere"<br />Chief Dan George in the movie<br />Outlaw Josie Wales
"I reckon so"

aspeck

Staff member

It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbled or where the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly; who errs, and comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; who does actually try to do the deed; who knows the great enthusiasm, the great devotion, and spends himself in a worthy cause; who, at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly.<br />Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checked by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in a gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat. (Teddy Roosevelt - From speech on the strenuous life, Hamilton Club, Chicago, April 10, 1899)

aspeck

Staff member

"A politician thinks of the next election -- a statesman, of the next generation." --James Freeman Clarke<br /><br />"The things that will destroy America are prosperity-at-any price, peace-at-any-price, safety-first instead of duty first, the love of soft living and the get-rich-quick theory of life." --Theodore Roosevelt<br /><br />"I love a dog, he does nothing for political reasons." --Will Rogers

aspeck

Staff member

"A politician thinks of the next election -- a statesman, of the next generation." --James Freeman Clarke<br /><br />"The things that will destroy America are prosperity-at-any price, peace-at-any-price, safety-first instead of duty first, the love of soft living and the get-rich-quick theory of life." --Theodore Roosevelt<br /><br />"I love a dog, he does nothing for political reasons." --Will Rogers

aspeck

Staff member

"Every thinking man, when he thinks, realizes that the teachings of the Bible are so interwoven and entwined with our whole civic and social life that it would be literally impossible for us to figure ourselves what that life would be if these standards were removed. We would lose almost all the standards by which we now judge both public and private morals; all the standards which we, with more or less resolution, strive to raise ourselves." --Theodore Roosevelt

ChrisMcLaughlin

Petty Officer 1st Class

Fat and stupid is no way to go through life, son.<br />Animal House

knobby

Chief Petty Officer

" I always carry a bottle of whiskey in case I get snake bit, and I always carry a snake", WC Fields.....

wvit100

Chief Petty Officer

Here's one to make you think.<br /><br />Why of course the people don't want war ... But after all it is the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it is always a simple matter to drag the people along, whether it is a democracy, or a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship ...Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is to tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. <br /><br />- Hermann Goering, Nazi leader at the Nuremberg Trials after World War II, In Politics/Nazism

wilkin250r

Chief Petty Officer

"Son,I'm not going to lie to you. You're dumb as a mule and twice as ugly. If a strange man offers you a ride, I say take it."<br /><br />-Abraham "Grandpa" Simpson to young Homer

Elmer Fudge

Lieutenant Commander

Don't shoot the messenger because you did'nt like the message.