What's your favorite quotation?

ob

Admiral
Re: What's your favorite quotation?

"Life is like a box of chocolates,you never know what your going to get inside."<br /> Forest Gumps Mom

LadyFish

Admiral

"The cost of war against tyranny is high...the<br />cost of inaction in the face of tyranny is always<br />higher."<br /><br />"War is not the best way of settling differences;<br />it is the only way of preventing their being<br />settled for you." GK Chesterton <br /><br />"We confide in our power without boasting of it;<br />We respect that of others, without fearing it."<br />Thomas Jefferson - 1783<br /><br />"Necessity is the plea for every infringement of<br />human liberty; it is the argument of tyrants; it<br />is the creed of slaves." William Pitt

lund17

Petty Officer 1st Class

"If you're 19 and not liberal you have no heart, if you're 40 and not conservative you have no brain."<br /><br />Winston Churchill

RICKRICK1

Ensign

Individuals will rise to the hight level of their incomptancy.(sp)

Ralph 123

Captain

neil2fish & LF,<br /><br />Those are going my my favorite quote collection :D Good ones!<br /><br />LF - do you have a citation for the first one?

Ralph 123

Captain

The highest reward for a person's toil is not what they get for it, but what they become by it.--John Ruskin<br /><br />If you have the will to win, you have achieved half your success; if you don't, you have achieved half your failure. -- David Ambrose<br /><br />What you can do or think you can do, begin it. For boldness has magic, power, and genius in it." -- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe<br /><br />He who fears being conquered is sure of defeat. --Napoleon Bonaparte<br /><br />Be prepared, and you will be lucky -- I Ching<br /><br />Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can somehow become great -- Mark Twain<br /><br />There's always room at the top -- Daniel Webster<br /><br />Our doubts are traitors, and makes us lose the good we oft might win, by fearing to attempt --Shakespeare<br /><br />man must eat a peck of salt with his friend, before he<br />knows him.--Miguel De Cervantes<br /><br />Forsake not an old friend; for the new is not comparable to him: a new friend is as new wine; when it is old, thou shalt drink it with pleasure. -- Bible

snapperbait

Vice Admiral

" Never rub another mans ruhbarb " Joker in Batman<br />and<br />" Ok.. That does it.. Screw you guys, I'm going home! "
cartman.gif

Elmer Fudge

Lieutenant Commander

Do not use an axe to swat a fly off of a friend's forehead.<br /> <br />Ancient chinese proverb.

Toad2001

Chief Petty Officer

"I got to go drop the kids off at the pool" :D

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Don't squat with your spurs on.

Bassy

Lieutenant Commander

I am still determined to be cheerful and happy, in whatever situation I may be; for I have also learned from experience that the greater part of our happiness or misery depends upon our dispositions, and not upon our circumstances.<br />Martha Washington (1732 - 1802)<br /><br />When anger rises, think of the consequences.<br />Confucius (551 BC - 479 BC)<br /><br />Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power.<br />Abraham Lincoln (1809 - 1865)

Bassy

Lieutenant Commander

... and on a lighter note...<br />"Don't eat yellow ice" ;) <br />Bassy

Ralph 123

Captain

Oh Bassy that reminds me of this one:<br /><br />Better to remain quiet and be thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt - Lincoln

JoeW

Senior Chief Petty Officer

This one certainly applied to me.<br /><br />"When I was 14 I thought my father was the most ignorant man on Earth. By the time I was 21 I was amazed at how much he had learned in seven years." --- Mark Twain<br /><br />I first heard this in Basic Training from a drill sergeant while attending a required race relations class.I never forgot it.<br /><br /> This story shall the good man teach his son. <br />And Crispan Crispian shall ne'er go by from this day till the ending of the world <br />but we in it shall be remembered.<br />We few, we happy few, we band of Brothers.<br />For he today that shed his blood with me shall be my brother<br />Be he ne'er so vile, this day shall gentle his condition<br />And gentleman in England, now a-bed, shall think themselves accursed they were not here<br />And hold their manhoods cheap while any speaks <br />that fought with us on St Crispan's Day <br /><br />William Shakespeare, King Henry IV, Act 4 seen 3.

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

"When you say there's no time to fish, your doing something wrong" SBN- 3/17/04

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

"Did you have to learn to be that rude, or are you from New York City?" :eek: <br /><br />Saying on a pin I received from a friend in NYCity.<br />********************************<br /><br />"After taking a good long look at society today, I do believe Darwin's theory may be flawed." -roscoe- 3-17-04

Kenneth Brown

Captain

"Life is like a box of chocolates,you never know what your going to get inside."<br />Forest Gumps Mom
I disagree with that OB. I believe the true saying is: Life is not like a box of chocolates, its more like a jar of jalapenos, what you do today may burn your azz tomorrow

ob

Admiral

" If at first ,you don't succeed<br />keep on suckin till you do suck seed.<br /> Curly

Ralph 123

Captain

Kenny, <br /><br />that's one of my favorites too. Along with KISS - Keep It Simple Stupid.