• STREAM

Votes: 24 2.4%
  • OTHER

Votes: 49 4.8%

• Total voters

Gringo

Cadet
Re: What body of water do you boat in?

We moved to the Turks and Caicos Islands a little over two years ago. We boat in water like this:

Gringo

Cadet

It's pretty dry above the waterline, though still a lot more hills than the Bahamas...we get a lot of decent sunsets:

Lately we've been looking more at the underwater stuff. Lots of marine life,

and we are getting great reef shots. We are also finding some old wrecks (1700's) and having fun with that.

Weldor

Seaman

Gringo, you're living the life that is some beautiful water over there. Most of ours is muddy/murky but still fun to be on or in at times. Thanks for posting those great pics.

dave11

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Tampa Bay, ICW, and the rivers.

It doesn't really matter where. Being on the water is enough.

Gringo

Cadet

Gringo, you're living the life that is some beautiful water over there. Most of ours is muddy/murky but still fun to be on or in at times. Thanks for posting those great pics.

You're welcome. We take a lot of pics, but until lately didn't do anything but just download and store the images. Then we started that blog and people seem to like them. Are you the same as Welder on another boating forum?

frankie g

Petty Officer 1st Class

The gulf of Mexico...SW Florida. :D

IMAG0081_2_.JPG

The_Biposto.JPG

mackeral.JPG

Lone Duck

Master Chief Petty Officer

Muskwa river Fort Nelson mile 300 alaska hwy

Weldor

Seaman

You're welcome. We take a lot of pics, but until lately didn't do anything but just download and store the images. Then we started that blog and people seem to like them. Are you the same as Welder on another boating forum?

No this is the only boating forum that I'm a member on. Although I do go by Wrenchbender on a few other forums that are welding related and heavy equipment related. I own and operate a small welding and heavy equipment repair shop hence the handles. And please share more of your pictures cause we all like pictures.

Gringo

Cadet

Oh, Ok. I might need some welding advice. Once my new workshop is completed, I plan to add a small home welder. Things break continuously down here in the tropics. I have been told that a MIG welder can be used for steel and aluminum, and that's something I need to learn.

As for the photos...there are literally hundreds of them up on the blog. Much more than I would re-post here. If you like the tropical island and boating aspects , check it out.

I am happy to post photos here, as well. But this isnt the thread for it.
Where would be the best thread on this forum to stick up tropical photos?

SgtMaj

Lieutenant Commander

Gringo,
Absolutely beautiful scenery over there... so um, what kind of jobs are available over there (I'm ready to move based upon those photos). :D

wildmaninal

Lieutenant Commander

Fish on a lake in north east Alabama. I rarely fish the local river which is closer. They say there is catfish in that river bigger then a full size truck. 3 people (bridge worker, dam inspector, and local radio network) refused to dive back in the river after they seen the size of the catfish lol.

SgtMaj

Lieutenant Commander

I've heard that before. They say the same thing up here... "as big as a bus"

I personally think it's just fish stories. I really doubt anyone will be pulling anything heavier than 200lbs out of any of these lakes anytime soon.

Undine*

Cadet

We mainly cruise on the intercoastal Daytona Beach area..although due to the tides and sand bars, we prefer to cruise the Ocean. More so for staying over night. No worries about anything but the sun coming up in the morning!
Undine*

wildmaninal

Lieutenant Commander

I've heard that before. They say the same thing up here... "as big as a bus"

I personally think it's just fish stories. I really doubt anyone will be pulling anything heavier than 200lbs out of any of these lakes anytime soon.

I know I done got off subject sorry......I'm not for sure SgtMaj, but if a catfish can get as big as us and then some, I believe they can get as big as a vehicle. I was walking through the Tennessee aquarium and stopped to see a picture of a catfish the size of a killer whale and it supposedly came out of somebody's pond. I'm going to half to research the local tails to see if there is truth behind them or not, I believe they are true. Up in a lake that I never have fished on and probably never will lol after what I seen a picture of that was caught out of there. A man caught a 8ft Alligator Gar.

Check this out, this cat was caught in Spain 7' 7" Catfish, but it doens't give the weight.

"http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/17876321/displaymode/1107//s/2/framenumber/10"

Gringo

Cadet

Back in the 70's I lived and worked for several months on the Essequibo River in Guyana. We commonly saw the locals catching what they called a "Lau Lau" (sp?) which they would hack up and sell by the slab in the market. It was a 9 ft. catfish.

Weldor

Seaman

And to think all these years I thought my line was hung on a rock,stump or a ledge under water when in fact it was a big ole cat. Speaking of that let me tell ya a true story about the one that got away. Well I was down at theriver bla bla ..... .......... Hey ya'll listen up this is no BS here.lol;)

Gringo

Cadet

Oh, scoff at me, will ya? Ok ok...ye of little faith....just fire up your Google search engine or whatever and type in piraiba. Now take a look. there are a couple of cool YouTube videos, there, too.

It's called a laulau in Guyana on the Essequibo River. I ain't jiving ya man. I was working there for over two months, up that river 30 miles. These suckers is huge. The locals taught us to use some car batteries and the ignition coil out of a Ford Tractor to shock fish to the surface stunned without using dynamite. It's that kind of place.

SgtMaj

Lieutenant Commander

Well, ok, so there ARE catfish the size of a small bus in South America. But that's a diff. species, and it could be what that person put in his pond that's now in the TN aquarium. But as far as local species go, this is from the Oak ridger (online), a local paper...

"The largest confirmed catfish in the United States was caught in 1879. That big blue weighed 150 pounds."

Although that was from 2004, and I do know that only 2 years ago there was a 206lb cat that broke that record caught out in Missouri.

PS - Personally though, I prefer the smaller ones. They taste better. :)