Wellcraft 170 Classic -89 full restoration

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Re: Wellcraft 170 Classic -89 full restoration

No. 2 holes per section, one for pouring and one for venting. Calculate your cubic feet for each section you will be pouring. Temps will affect the amount of expansion. Higher temps make it expand more.

Jussi-T.

Petty Officer 2nd Class

034 (2).jpg

Tomorrow it is time to glue the deck in. Any recommendations, PL or PB? :)

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

PB all the way. Vent Holes are Perfectamundo!!!!!

Jussi-T.

Petty Officer 2nd Class

My boat has a deck again!! Sorry, no pics to add at this point. Feels so good to walk ON a DECK again :D tomorrow tabbing the edges and hopefully foaming, is there any good tips/advice about the foaming process?

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Try to calculate your cubic footage as close as possible to minimize waste and overfilling which could cause excess pressure on the hull. Have a helper to help mix the two parts. Have lots of the 2 parts Pre measured separatly so you can quickly pour them into one container and mix for 30 secs before the pour. It will be easier than you think.:lol:

Jussi-T.

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The foaming is now done! Yup, it was easy like u said wood :D I was hoping that the deck would be glassed after this weekend, but again things take more time that you thought they would :D Tomorrow I sand the deck and coat it with resin, so Tuesday I think the deck will be ready :)

Pics:010 (7).jpg013 (5).jpg015 (7).jpg017 (5).jpg018 (5).jpg

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Looks like your calculations were good. Not to much blow out! I'd say ya dun right good fer a rookie!!!!;)

Jussi-T.

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Huge news! My glassing job is DONE! Well almost, I still have to put couple layers of glass to the bottom patch when I flip the hull. And the flipping is the next thing to do I guess. I'm going to do the flipping this way:nimetön.jpg Nice drawing isn't it? :D So I am going to lift the hull up, with a tractor and excavator, drive the trailer away, and then flip it while it is hanging on air. Then under the boat I put two stack of pallets which are so high that the edges of the hull won't touch the ground, the pallet stacks are going to touch the deck/floor and the deck is going to carry the weight of the boat. If I do it this way, I don't need to brace the hull, right? So this is my plan, does it sound OK to you?

Any suggestions of the paints? Is it ok to paint the interior with polyurethane paint? The outside is also going to be painted troughout. Under the waterline I put epoxy primer, and above I thought I'd use polyurethane paint..

Few pics:014 (8).jpg020 (6).jpg021 (6).jpg022 (5).jpg

chconger

Petty Officer 1st Class

Really nice glassing. I know I am a hack at glassing compared to the kind of quality I see here;

attachment.php

Hi Jussi,
Just started ready your forum. Starting a similar project on a 99 Larson. Can you give me an estimate on the weight of your cap? Did you remove it by hand? I figure it would take 5 or 6 men.

Thanks,
Tom

Jussi-T.

Petty Officer 2nd Class

chconger, I saw your project topic for the first time now, you're doing great job! I wish I had been noticed your topic earlier, we have been moving along almost at the same time with our projects! I'm going to follow your project ;)

Lawrenceoverlook: I'd estimate the cap weights about 200kg, so it is 440lb. We moved it by hand and there were 4 men removing it. But I am going to put it back with excavator. I'd recommend at least 5 men. The bow was pretty heavy.

Jussi-T.

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ok, now the hull is flipped and the sanding has now been started! I have to work fast because I want to paint her this fall and the weather is getting chilly.. I have now sanded about 2/3 of the under waterline... 010 (9).jpg012 (8).jpg026 (4).jpg

Jussi-T.

Petty Officer 2nd Class

013 (7).jpg

Tomorrow I'm going to do the outside patching to the hole which I patched from the inside couple months ago. I thought I'd put CSM, cloth and CSM. What do you think should It be enough? :)

My goal is to get the boat sanded by the end of next week and the weekend I hope it will be ready for painting! :)

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

I'd recommend csm, cloth, csm, csm. Works better for sanding and fairing. TIP: Don't cut the CSM patchs...Tear them. The fuzzy edges gives a natural "Featherd Edge" to the patch.;)

Jussi-T.

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Okey, I'll put two layers of CSM after the cloth then :) I'm just worried about the flatness of the hull after the patching, you see the keyhole is quite near to the patching area and the transom plate surface has to be flat due to sealing! But if it becomes too uneven I just have to add a layer or two of csm round the keyhole area..

Jussi-T.

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The boat is now patched, sanded and the painting is now started.

005 (17).jpg012 (10).jpg024 (6).jpg028 (4).jpg

The patch came out pretty good, you can hardly tell it was even there! ;) Today I painted the under waterline with epoxy. She got 4 layers of paint, painted with paint roller. After the paint has cured I'm going to sand it lightly and then spray few layers of epoxy with paint gun. The whole boat is going to get a light epoxy coat before the poyurethane paint. :)

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

As always your craftsmanship is impeccable! When you get on the water, she'll be something you can be proud of for many Decades to come!!!!

Jussi-T.

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Wood, It means a lot to me when a guy like you tells me that! I couldn't have done this restoration without your help! It is admirable that there are people like you who are so willing to help others, especially when they are from the other side of the world! :)

I thought, since the boat is American and she has "reborn" with the help of Americans, she should get an American name :D
So feel free to suggest a proper name! :)

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Not sure what your iBoats Name means "Jussi-T" but...Having that in mind You might consider "

boatName.jpg

in a sentence

jus?ti?fy

[juhs-tuh-fahy] Show IPA verb, jus?ti?fied, jus?ti?fy?ing.

verb (used with object)1.to show (an act, claim, statement, etc.) to be just or right: The end does not always justify the means.

2.to defend or uphold as warranted or well-grounded: Don't try to justify his rudeness.

3.Theology . to declare innocent or guiltless; absolve; acquit.

4.Printing.a.to make (a line of type) a desired length by spacing the words and letters, especially so that fulllines in a column have even margins both on the left and on the right.

b.to level and square (a strike).

verb (used without object)5.Law.a.to show a satisfactory reason or excuse for something done.

b.to qualify as bail or surety.

6.Printing. (of a line of type) to fit exactly into a desired length.

OR

jus?tice

[juhs-tis] Show IPA
noun1.the quality of being just; righteousness, equitableness, or moral rightness: to uphold the justice of acause.

2.rightfulness or lawfulness, as of a claim or title; justness of ground or reason: to complain with justice.

3.the moral principle determining just conduct.

4.conformity to this principle, as manifested in conduct; just conduct, dealing, or treatment.

5.the administering of deserved punishment or reward.

But Hey, I'm just an...
OldDumbOkie.jpg
so what do I know about naming boats!!!! Just don't name her the TITANIC!!!!!!:D

Last edited:

Jussi-T.

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hey those are good names, I have to concider them! :) Jussi is my first name and "T" is the first letter of my last name So those names could be pretty good ;) I have been thinking "Wellcrafted" But I am not sure that does it mean what I think it means :D If I say my boat is "wellcrafted" does it mean that it is done well?