Trying to rebuild 18 hp Johnson

Status
Not open for further replies.

ccvolsdhf

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Thinking of trying to rebuild 18 hp Johnson

LOL...Nah I think your still ahead of the curve. I jumped the gun a little bit just had to see something all shiny.:D

Mas

Lieutenant Commander

looks really nice! What filler did you use?

Mas

ccvolsdhf

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks Mas...I didn't I Just painted it. It would a been another 20 dollar bill and their adding up quick. So i just decided it would be ok without. I looked online and thought about getting some Marinetex,but it would been like 40$. I also called the number on the back of a 3M product. The guy there said I needed Fiberglass resin jelly from auto parts store. It was 17.99 and said it was waterproof,sandable and compatible with all paints so that's what i would have gotten had $ not been a concern.

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

That looks nice. What color/# of Dupla color did you use?

ccvolsdhf

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks samo. It's a GM color. Light blue metallic BGM0539 says it replaces T155.

tosoutherncars

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks samo. It's a GM color. Light blue metallic BGM0539 says it replaces T155.

Good info! Looks pretty close to the stock color; if it's not too much trouble, can you post a pic of your skeg next to something with the original color? Did you get aerosol cans mixed up, or shoot it with a gun?

-Duncan

ccvolsdhf

Petty Officer 1st Class

What's up Duncan. Nah It's straight off the shelf Dupli color from autozone. After I painted mine I actually saw an old Johnson in another thread that looked almost identical. I didn't know if they just picked the same color i did or if that was an original color. I'm not sure i understand what your asking ,but my motor was a dark blue. If i misunderstood it's no prob to post whatever pics.

Lower unit.jpglower unit new paint 2.jpg

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

That looks pretty darned close to the old Polychromatic Blue, used in 1957. Nice job on the painting. :D

ccvolsdhf

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks Zephyr...Long way to go to get the whole thing lookin like that ,But that's half the fun:D

geoffwga1

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hi CC.
I don.t have any suggestions to make re your labors,I.d just like to say how much I have enjoyed reading this thread.It's given me plenty to think about and some really useful information for when I go to work on my fasttwin (1969).That won't be for a while yet I hope because it runs like a top right now but I have not really done any thing to it since I got it couple of years ago except clean up the carb.Once again ,all you guys,thanks for a great thread.
Geoffwga1.

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

Thanks Zephyr...Long way to go to get the whole thing lookin like that ,But that's half the fun:D

Oh yea, once you get it out on the water, you'll get attention with it. Those old OMC's are nice lookin motors. I have one soon to be ready for paint too, but just need to get the lower unit cleaned up on it. It's gettin there though. :D

ccvolsdhf

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hi CC.
I don.t have any suggestions to make re your labors,I.d just like to say how much I have enjoyed reading this thread.It's given me plenty to think about and some really useful information for when I go to work on my fasttwin (1969).That won't be for a while yet I hope because it runs like a top right now but I have not really done any thing to it since I got it couple of years ago except clean up the carb.Once again ,all you guys,thanks for a great thread.
Geoffwga1.

Cool Geoff...I'm glad you have enjoyed the thread. I hoped it would help anyone who has not done any of this before.(Like Me). I for sure would not be able to do it. Without the help of all the people here that actually know how to do what I'm trying to do. So I hope to help others as they have me, and I thank them all as well. and definitely stay tuned as my plan is to take apart every piece I can. To clean, and recondition. So hopefully this is only the beginning.

ccvolsdhf

Petty Officer 1st Class

Oh yea, once you get it out on the water, you'll get attention with it. Those old OMC's are nice lookin motors. I have one soon to be ready for paint too, but just need to get the lower unit cleaned up on it. It's gettin there though. :D

Oh yeah what color you going with....I was looking thru some post and on the web ,and saw some of the 57,58 johnson's with that heavy metallic maroon. That's what led me to pick my paint color. I had never really seen the motors with that kinda color and so metallic.Just thought they looked awesome. Instead of just white ,black or blue with no metal flake.

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

The motor on top of my list, is the one and it's getting the original "dull aluminum" color. Hopefully, when I'm done, It'll look as nice as the one pictured below. I'll most likely be giving nymarine a lot of business for paint. It's spendy, but they match factory really good. I rebuilt the powerhead with a brand new crank, rods, pistons and rings, so it'll be a brand new motor, when I'm done.

I have a few motors that I plan to strip and restore, one the HD-20 is done.

Attachments

• HD20SIDE.jpg
    HD20SIDE.jpg
    143.6 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0223.jpg
    IMG_0223.jpg
    149.4 KB · Views: 0

ccvolsdhf

Petty Officer 1st Class

Wow! that's A neat looking little motor. It just screams vintage. To thank that's its basically brand new, Yet that old is cool. It no doubt will be more reliable than anything made new today. ( Historical preservation of art and functionality) cool stuff I like it:D

kfa4303

Banned

Looks great Zephyr!!! I swear these old outboards are where George Lucas go the ideas for droids. That thing looks like it could start walking and talking, or something. SOOOOOO much cooler than all the big, black box motors you see all day everyday on the water. Not only do they look alike, they don't even bother to paint them different colors :/ Vintage rules!!! Can't wait to see the next one.

P.S.
I have an old 20 hp that I want/need to paint soon. What is the best way to remove all the old grease, especially the really thick goopy stuff that's built up over the years around the zerks and pivot points. Is there something that can be sprayed on, allowed to sit, then rinsed away? I've heard oven cleaner is a good degreaser, but I'm a little afraid to try that. The motor runs great and is smooth as silk, but it's white and shows every little speck of dirt exhaust, and after 50+ it definitely looks it's age. Thanks.

ccvolsdhf

Petty Officer 1st Class

kfa4303

Banned

Amazing job! I wish I had all the tools and toys he has. I was thinking more of a rattle can special, but at least now I know where to look to see how it's done. Thanks.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

Yes its a great blog to see the step by step restoration in progress. Make a cup of coffee and read through all the chapters, you wont be dissapointed.

Status
Not open for further replies.