Transom replacement-Turned Complete Boat Rebuild

Status
Not open for further replies.

tallcanadian

Captain
Re: Transom replacement-Turned Complete Boat Rebuild

What a great look job. Clean and very tough. Way to go. I can't wait to see the finished product. Good luck.

HVAC Cruiser

Lieutenant

Hey Vegas-Z bar, thats a good idea, I have some 18 ga 316 SS in the shop, I could bend it up and weld the corners

my wife insisted I set the deck up the exact same way it was originally, I know the hatches are huge, the fuel hatch is 4' x 3'. I am going to make that hatch cover with a small trap door on a piano hinge about 10" square for the 2 stroke tank access & weather strip the main one. I was thinking of locking the big hatch down with duz fastners or just screw it down.

Its hard to see from the photo, the deck crowns slightly in the middle up front, so water runs to the outer edges, pitches back slightly there are 2 channels 1 1/2" wide 1/2" deep that run under the splash well into the bilge, there is also a slight pitch inward towards the bilge hatch. It kinda runs the water away from your feet then into the bilge.

The original bilge hatch was open slat 6" wide planking so it would act like a storm drain.

Gel coat it is in the long run it will probably save me some work down the line

tallcanadian- Thanks for the complement, I should have her finished in a couple of weeks

RICHARD5

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Yup, every time we work on the boat we find something new thats broken and needs to be fixed. I'm still having a tough time finding a job so money is whats holding us back. Monster, career builder and craigslist and caljobs have a bunch of 10-11 dollar an hour jobs and I can't support myself on that haha.
Brother, I'm in the same boat. Hang in there.

HVAC Cruiser

Lieutenant

Just realized I don't think I can Gelcoat, I'm using epoxy resin, west system 105 with 205 hardner. I don't think it will stick

VeroWing

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Bill, something to consider. I'm not sure if your boat will accommodate it, but if your cockpit deck height is higher than waterline when boat is in water with standard load, then you can drain complete area through brass tubes out to water. Saves water going into bilge, and having to be pumped out to water.

gradywhitetransomrebuildday19004.jpg

006.jpg

My boat had them built into it, but I had to redrill and reinstall new brass tubes after new transom rebuild. Just throwing a possible option to you for cockpit drainage. Mike

83vert

Petty Officer 1st Class

2:05 A.M. posting, man you are addicted. LOL:D

TojosMojo

Petty Officer 2nd Class

yeah VeroWing, I have been on several offshore fishing rigs with that exact type of transom drainage, and remember seeing plenty more when watching fishing shows on the tube... That way the water/blood washes right out to sea.

vegasphotoman

Lieutenant

Hi Bill
z channel is what they used in my glastron, but it is a stamped oval shape...couldnt find that so I went with square corners and cut it all myself...

Storm drains out to sea are the best...if you have a well sealed deck, cause sometimes water comes IN too lol
anyways.I woulda mentioned that too....gut figured you had it all enclosed and didnt mind bilging out

Keep up the work!

Rock on!:D

HVAC Cruiser

Lieutenant

Hey Mike, that might work on my boat. its set up as a wet deck above the water line. I believe the splash well actually winds up lower than the rear deck. I could run drain tubes right into it.
I was out in the field all day today did not have a chance to even get to the shop to see it. Hopfully I can get some time on sunday, can't go tomorrow, I turn 45 (OMG getting old) wifey has family comming over an would kill me if I spent the day with the boat.

Hey 83Vert Yes I admit im adicted to I Boats LOL.
Actually I fell asleep on my keyboard working on a customers building automation system, and thats when I woke up. Heating season has arrived here this week and its starting to get crazy with computer controls and remote monitoring.

Hey Vegas
I have 316 SS at the shop, with my bending brake and my mig I figured I can make up the frames round the corners and brush the seams so it looks like 1 piece. Worse case I'll give it to the sheet metal shop that makes my SS tanks and such for my solar collector systems. they do real nice stainless work for me.

I am going to look at the boat on sunday to see if I can put in some additional drains to run right out to sea.

The deck is now well sealed, one of the design flaws was that the flotation foam was exposed at the bait wells, under removable tubs. I have since changed that. everything below the deck is hermedically sealed in fiberglass

thrillhouse700

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Slightly off topic but what kind of HVAC work do you do if you don't mind me asking? BTW nice job ont he deck so far so good!

HVAC Cruiser

Lieutenant

Slightly off topic but what kind of HVAC work do you do if you don't mind me asking? BTW nice job ont he deck so far so good!

I don't mind at all, I design and install high efficiency and alternative heating and A/C. mostly commercial some high end residential. Most all of my systems I remote manage over the internet with Java based automation systems.
Thats the part I like doing most, I have a blast(usually) writing the programs and doing the graphics.

Part of what I do is monitor energy consumption and perform direct comparisons of my design vs standard installs ( my Kingswood site is a perfect example) and provide quarterly reports to the customer.

I have a few of them set up for public viewing
Here is a link, you can check it out www.hvaclive.net
Click on the link that says "Click Here to See Systems Operating Live" under my logo

It will take a little while to load, its a heavy java applet (you will need the current version) and it works best using internet explorer

HVAC Cruiser

Lieutenant

Dang that's pretty awesome!!!

Thank You, its actually alot of fun, I eventually want to just do the graphics, write the program and sell it to others to install .
Right now I am working with a boiler manufacturer that wants to have it as a contol option to sell with their equipment. Its just a matter of me making it a universal cookie cutter system.

thrillhouse700

Well yesterday I built something for you just in case zombies do attack. Visit my thread for a picture haha. Mind everyone it is only a joke and I took it apart after the picture, and locked it back up.

thrillhouse700

Happy Bday hope you got something cool like a Taurus Judge.

HVAC Cruiser

Lieutenant

Thanks,
Vegas and Thrillhouse

Rickairmedic

Commander

Bill Happy belated birthday hope it was a great one .

Rick

HVAC Cruiser

Lieutenant

Thanks Rick,
Actually it was a real bad day. I got a call from one of my boiler projects at 11pm saturday that a CO detector went off, the fire dept showed up, gas company locked the gas.
I went there yesterday am the boiler division from DOB was there, turns out my wonderful workers never glued the joints for the direct vent PVC, the dam thing came apart now im up to my neck in trouble over it. Its 2- 850,000 btu boilers supplying heat and hot water for 90 apartments.
I am on my way this morning to redo the chimney and do damage control.
BOY THE FUN JUST NEVER ENDS Sometimes it really sucks being me

Rickairmedic

Commander

Bill sorry about the bad luck . I will admit I check every single install personally although honestly I still do 90+% of them myself . I did hire an installer this summer and even though I know his work I still didnt let anything get fired up that I didnt look over first. You are a bigger operation of course and most likely dont have time to inspect every job out there . Hopefully damage control will be small and honestly if the Job was inspected then I would say the inspections department is as much to blame as anyone :D. Hope it doesnt cause to much trouble.

Rick

Status
Not open for further replies.