Transom replacement-Turned Complete Boat Rebuild

Status
Not open for further replies.

HVAC Cruiser

Lieutenant
Re: Transom replacement-Turned Complete Boat Rebuild

Well yesterday I cut apart the port side The core is a mess and it also rotted the last 4' of the stringer :mad:
100_9661.jpg

Sorry for the bad cell phone pics

I cut the stinger to get it ready to scarf joint a new piece in. I actually posted a new thread asking about it Falling Back On the expertise of iBoats :) Man I love this site !!!!!

Today I am going to open up the rest of the hull to expose as much of the core as possible to try and get to where its not rotten. I explained to my wife that its going to take months to get it all dried out.

So while where waiting I'm gonna finish off the Sea Gem and put this one on hold for a while.

83mulligan

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Bill, great thread!! lots of informative stuff and pictures. You do nice work. I'm about to the glassing stage on my project. hope it turns out this nice.

HVAC Cruiser

Lieutenant

Bill, great thread!! lots of informative stuff and pictures. You do nice work. I'm about to the glassing stage on my project. hope it turns out this nice.

Thanks I try , this has been a learn as you go project for me. I actually have this one on hold till everything is nice and dry for what I have exposed. In the meantime I am getting the Sea Gem back together to go boating :D I should be dropping the engine in Thursday :D

EDIT- If you have your project going in a thread here on iBoats you should add a link in your signature this way its easy to find ;)

83mulligan

Senior Chief Petty Officer

EDIT- If you have your project going in a thread here on iBoats you should add a link in your signature this way its easy to find ;)

Bill, I edited my signature and its not showing up. Hmm, maybe only on future posts. Maybe takes some time. More than likely, i'm an idiot and have a setting wrong.

Anyhow in your post 218: dry fitting the 1708.....How many pieces of glass is that actually? My transom has a thicker center than on the starboard and port sides. So, I'm trying to determine the glassing process to follow. They aren't laminated yet. So, I need some advice on what steps to follow.

below is a link to my thread. transom pics are on the 2nd to last page. The thicker section is not laminated to the full 3/4 piece yet. Any advice would be appreciated.

my 73 slickcraft thread

HVAC Cruiser

Lieutenant

Anyhow in your post 218: dry fitting the 1708.....How many pieces of glass is that actually? My transom has a thicker center than on the starboard and port sides. So, I'm trying to determine the glassing process to follow. They aren't laminated yet. So, I need some advice on what steps to follow.

That was actually my 3rd layer of 1708. After that I glassed the splash well back onto the cap, at the transom I did an additional 2 layers glassing it to the transom the way it was originally.

Time for din-din, I will take a peek at your project after I get the kids to bed and see how I can help ya :)

Riegfrghtl

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Hi Bill, hope all is going well with your restoration. I was in touch with Cruisers Yatchts and they sent me an original brochure on the 21' Cruisers Bonanza. Thought you might be interested in taking a look! I know that they are sideways. Have not quite figured out yet how to turn them around yet.

Tim

Attachments

• 1972Deck.InnerLiner.HullConstruction.jpg
    1972Deck.InnerLiner.HullConstruction.jpg
    147 KB · Views: 0
  • 197221'Bonanza2162.21621.21621-Cpg1of2.jpg
    197221'Bonanza2162.21621.21621-Cpg1of2.jpg
    144.5 KB · Views: 0
  • 197221'Bonanza2162.21621.21621-Cpg2of2.jpg
    197221'Bonanza2162.21621.21621-Cpg2of2.jpg
    146.9 KB · Views: 0

HVAC Cruiser

Lieutenant

Hi Bill, hope all is going well with your restoration. I was in touch with Cruisers Yatchts and they sent me an original brochure on the 21' Cruisers Bonanza. Thought you might be interested in taking a look! I know that they are sideways. Have not quite figured out yet how to turn them around yet.

Tim

That is Cool, do you happen to have them in a higher resolution? I'll PM you my e-mail if you could send them to me

SC's Forever!

Seaman Apprentice

Hi Bill...Re: the balsa core construction on your "baby"........The core is an important part of the structural integrity of your hull....You will note how it is glassed to the "skins" on either side....This provides stiffness/rigidty to the structure. Just picture two sheets of material a short distance from each other....they can flex and bend easily....Now. join them together with a vertical piece securely attached....now you have a very stiff member which resists flexing....What you have in essence is an "I" beam!!! Yes, the balsa core does help the skin to hold its shape, thats why it is cut with the end-grain vertically so it will flex and be easier to shape to the curves of the hull. It was a popular method of hull construction for years until it caused a severe demand that the balsa suppliers couldn't meet!!! Then structural foam was developed and replaced use of balsa as a core material.
Re: The hook in your boat bottom....You may have made a Bo-Bo.....Maybe not!! Some boats were made at the factory w/a hook at the transom to help the boat plane easier.......I have a 28' Sea Wind(Clone of a 27' Sport Craft) (number 3 in line for restoration!) which has about 10" of hook length at the transom.
Leaving it in may or maynot affect the handling of your boat.....You will probably have to water test it to find out!!! If you grind it off, be certain you don't make the hull too thin at the transom!!! Another "cure" is to extend the fairing to 18" to 24" forward of the transom to reduce the effect...You may want to leave it in until you can water test it to see if all the added weight from your "improvements" doesn't make it necessary.
Suggestion....Before you start to add anything new to your project...Tear it completely down to try to eliminate unseen problems and prevent having to tear-out new construction.
Question: With all the "extra sturdy" construction and gallons of resin..do you have any idea of how much extra weight you have added??? I have a pair of 300 HP Merc's I'll give you a deal on!!!!!! OK, OK.....Just kidding!!! Maybe?
Seriously, do hope you have a sturdy TANDEM trailer to put this thing on!!!
Really LOVE the boat and am envious of the time you have to work on it!!!!
Pic's on both finished boats????
Good Luck, and Safe and Happy Boating!!!!!! Jim in Hammond, La.

HVAC Cruiser

Lieutenant

Hi Jim,

Thanks for the info on the balsa core. I am going to be replacing it were it is rotted at the bow. I do have some more cutting to do.

Funny you mentioned the hook, my other boat is also a Cruiser inc.. I recently performed on close inspection found she has the same hook at the same spot, so yes it was engineered into the boat and it is staying. I did grind some of it down but, when I did it I was limited because I was following the contour of the boat. I also made sure I didn't grind too much as to violate the integrity of the hull. What I pretty much did is grind down the excessive that I did and brought it back to the original hook. making sure the port and starboard match so she don't list on me

I am really not to worried about the weight, its maybe 250# heavier than when she was new. I did lighten the original transom by using Coosa board instead of ply. She is still lighter now than with all the soaked foam and wood that I removed. All the wood is solid from the helm back, its the cabin area that needs some work now as shown in the last pics. I did tear the entire boat down, just did it in 2 stages.

Its been a while since I have worked on this project. My other project The Sea Gem got finished 1st so I have been out enjoying her instead :D

vegasphotoman

Lieutenant

bummer on the wet foamie stuff Bill!
:eek:

cosbyva

Recruit
Bill, new to this website, but I found your thread while searching for rebuilding a 21' Cruisers Bonanza on Google. I've got a 21' Cruisers Bonanza 1973 that I am just starting work on. It is an I/O, not the outboard version like yours. It would appear I'm dealing with the exact same damage you found, balsa core replacement, transom rebuild and the same soft area in the lower deck area aft of the cabin door. I'm just curious if you ever finished this project. I read the entire thread today and was fascinated. Hope you are doing ok and the boat was a success. Best, Chris

jbcurt00

Staff member
Cosby
Please start a topic about your Bonanza rebuild when you start working on it. Take a look at the tip at the top of the forum pages where we ask that you avoid posting to topics that are inactive. After 90days+ w/ no recent posts, topics are considered inactive.

Thanks and welcome to iboats

Topic closed

Status
Not open for further replies.