Transom replacement-Turned Complete Boat Rebuild

Status
Not open for further replies.

BobsGlasstream

Commander
Re: Transom replacement-Turned Complete Boat Rebuild

HVAC Cruiser,
The glass work looks good.
Sorry about the ride( nice looking) but I like your attitude.
I think money is tight for everyone these days. If I could find work close to my home I would be able to save a lot of money. Oh well, I guess we play the hands we're given.
Great job
Bob

HVAC Cruiser

Lieutenant

Thanks Bob, Im trying to keep my chin up .

OK next problem on the agenda, while building the new deck I noticed that the measurements off the chine was different between port and starboard. Not wanting to have a crooked boat I leveled it off, well I just dry-fitted the splashwell and its 5/8" to high on the port side :eek:. Taking measurements 20" up from the transom I find the pre-existing section of the cap on port side is 5/8" lower than starboard, THE BOAT WAS BUILT CROOKED!!! Should I cut the bottom of the splashwell crooked so it sits lower at port or should I try to raise the cap?
Here are some pics

Starboard
100_9238.jpg

Port
100_9239.jpg

That's the ruler hooked at the chine both measurements are taken exactly 20" forward of the transom

Has anyone ever had this problem, and any suggestions on the best way to handle it?

SBTOM

Petty Officer 1st Class

sorry to hear about your bike. I sold my R6 to buy my current boat and I am about to sell my Aprilia Pegaso to free up some resto cash :(

Anyway, I also have the same issue with the crooked boat. I ended up using the upper chine rails as a reference and leveled the top of the transom in reference to those. Then I just took up the difference when I was building the splashwell.

One idea is you could make a clean cut through the transom-side wall of the splashwell, and then glass it back together from the back side, on a slight bias. Then you could fill in the gap left with PB.

tallcanadian

Captain

Thanks Bob, Im trying to keep my chin up .

OK next problem on the agenda, while building the new deck I noticed that the measurements off the chine was different between port and starboard. Not wanting to have a crooked boat I leveled it off, well I just dry-fitted the splashwell and its 5/8" to high on the port side :eek:. Taking measurements 20" up from the transom I find the pre-existing section of the cap on port side is 5/8" lower than starboard, THE BOAT WAS BUILT CROOKED!!! Should I cut the bottom of the splashwell crooked so it sits lower at port or should I try to raise the cap?
Here are some pics

I don't think I ever measured mine. Now you have me curious. How many other boats are like it?

HopeSheFloats

Lieutenant Commander

Just throwing out an observation, whether it's significant or not...remember who posted this{lol}.
Looking at the bottom photo, all of the trim rivet holes don't seem close to aligning{even with lowering/raising one side or the other}...maybe some bowing/twisting/shifting went on while the splashwell was removed? That would certainly account for off measurements. Heck, if it's not effecting anything but the visual, I'd fill it & forget it, pretty hard to spot that small of a variance without a tape...again, just me thinking out-loud.

HVAC Cruiser

Lieutenant

Hi All,
Well on top of boat problems I had a hard drive failure on my laptop :eek: must be my lucky day just installed a new one and software.

This is an older boat 1972 it looks like a stitch and glue built boat, that could explain the difference in sides, maybe the guy building her drank more than me lol.

Well I think Im just going to cut the bottom of the splash well where it sits on the deck to bring it down to the proper height. I thought about building a new one redesign it, maybe some seating on the sides but I want to get her finished and I would loose 4 rod holders by doing so. Right now there are 7 rod holders on the splash well :D.

Hey Ken - Initially I thought maybe it did twist, the reason the screw holes don't line up is because the well is sitting on the deck and holding it up higher than the side. Its hard to see in the pictures I was fumbling with the camera while holding the ruler. If you look at the measurement at the bottom of the lip where the cap sits, the starboard side is 1/2" taller 31 1/4 vs 31 3/4.

The well itself did twist a bit, it was sitting kinda thrown on a pile of stuff for the past 6 months Oops. I think I am going to try to use jonesg method, put it in place and add some heat to try to straighten it. If that don't work I will have to cut the puppy and re-glass.

sprintst

Commander

A friend was just talking about Western Digital 500 GB portable hard drives...that have laptop drives in them. Pull the laptop drive out of the portable housing and pop it into your laptop.

Apparently they are cheap... I'll look it up for you.

HVAC Cruiser

Lieutenant

A friend was just talking about Western Digital 500 GB portable hard drives...that have laptop drives in them. Pull the laptop drive out of the portable housing and pop it into your laptop.

Apparently they are cheap... I'll look it up for you.

Thanks, That's actually what I did last time, I picked up a 250g and installed it, thats the one that went. The drive crashed on Wednesday I have a next day business warranty with dell so they shipped out a new drive and software installed it yesterday and got it back working.

My biggest problem is the Johnson Controls software I use for my customers building automation systems. The registration is for 1 computer only, hits their server it uses the win id # in the computer so every time you re-install windows you have to re-register. It takes about a week and $150 to JC. Without it I can't work on system programs in the field which really puts a crimp in my working. The only other way I can do it is with the server software back at the house. Thats a real pain cause I have it in the basement, no sitting on the couch programming

BobsGlasstream

Commander

HVAC Cruiser,
Sounds like Murphy move into your house now.
Bob

HVAC Cruiser

Lieutenant

HVAC Cruiser,
Sounds like Murphy move into your house now.
Bob

Well now that he is back living with you, yesterday was pretty productive and I'm up bright and early to hit it hard again today :D.

I cut the splash-well glassed her back in and reinstalled the fuel tank platform. The fuel tank compartment was originally open straight to the bilge. I want to add a bulkhead to separate the compartments. Here is an old photo from before I had to tear it out and re-do it.

IMG00114.jpg

The only thing that worries me is air circulation for the fuel tank. The new hatch is going to be a solid sealed hatch. before the boat had a wet-deck setup, it was an open grate for water drainage.
Even though the tank has a vent and fill hose going up to the cap I worry that fumes could build in the compartment and create a Kaboom :eek:. I thought about piping in and expelling air like a bilge area but that would defeat the purpose of putting in the bulkhead.
I plan n finishing all the sub-deck glassing today but am uncertain if I should add that bulkhead

Anyone have any thoughts?

HVAC Cruiser

Lieutenant

Here is a pic of the splash-well with its 2nd layer of glass on her attaching her back onto the boat
100_9392.jpg

I still have some shaping and fairing to do on it

Being indecisive on what to do about the bulkhead for the fuel cell compartment I desided to finish off the deck today by adding a full layer of 1708 and running it up the gunwales to fully tie it in with the boat

100_9394.jpg

Tomorrow I am going to get up early again to get grinding in before wifey wants to open the backyard door. I want to try to get the splash-well and fuel cell sub-deck finished. I am holding off on the bulkhead until I think it out and/or get opinions from you guys. I'm thinking a happy medium with it might be making sure there is enough of a ventilation port in the upper section of the bulkhead to prevent fumes from accumulating

Hope everyone is having a good weekend :)

BobsGlasstream

Commander

bill,
IT looks like you have a great deal of it completed. I'm having enough trouble getting time for one rebuild. Keep up the great work.
It's looking good.
Bob

HVAC Cruiser

Lieutenant

Hope All is having a good Holiday

bill,
IT looks like you have a great deal of it completed. I'm having enough trouble getting time for one rebuild. Keep up the great work.
It's looking good.
Bob

Thanks, She is getting there :) Wifey made me stop working yesterday around 2pm :( because her sister and family came over for dinner. Even though it didn't rain last night everything is soaked can work in this one till the sun burns off the dew :mad:. In light of that I think I'll get some porting done on the heads for the other project today.

Looking at yesterdays work I really like the way the deck came out. I laid 1708 bi-axial in single sheets from the bridge to the splash-well and up the gunwale both starboard and port the layup even gave the deck a real nice texture and uniformity. I don't think I'm even going to sand it its kinda like built-in no slip:) just knock down the few stray hairs, fair in the gunwales and call it a day.
The resin I am using doesn't blush so maybe it can be painted right over top with just an acetone wipe down????

Damifudo

Petty Officer 1st Class

Wow she is comming along great!!! Your doing this all by yourself too thats incredible the amount you get done from day to day. Keep up the good work its looking really good! I can just imgaine what she is going to look like all painted up!

sprintst

Commander

I'm looking also for future projects to see if the fuel tank area is sealed or vented externally.

HVAC Cruiser

Lieutenant

Hey Damifudo,
Well technically I am not working alone, here is my little helper taking the top off the alpha for my other boat. Shes only 4 1/2 but I tell you what, she can turn a wrench better than a lot of guys :D. Notice how she set herself up to brace and put her shoulder into it. This kid is a natural, more so than my boy :eek: They say God punishes you and gives you a child just like you , I'll tell you what I'm in trouble cause she's it lol...
100_9103.jpg

Caity settin the box wrench on the bolt :)

100_9104.jpg

Hey Sprint,
1st thanks for answering my question on epoxy vs poly, I have a feeling overkill Bill has struck again, based on what Oops said I have been doing way to many lay-ups, Oops LOL.
The inside of the transom has 1 layer of roven and 3 layers of 1708(I think) Already. The splash-well had an additional 3/8" of glass where it connected to the transom. I think I am going to forgo all the additional layers and just do 1 1708 to connect them and call it a day. I need to conserve some resin and I think I have been being a bit crazy with it by using it like poly.

On the fuel cell area, still not totally decided how to handle it, I think I am going to just leave some of the top of the bulkhead open so it can vent into the bilge while keeping water out below.

sprintst

Commander

No sweat dude. It's cool that she wants to get right in there. Better than the other type that drives with no oil in the car :)

I was wondering about the same thing. Sealed and the compartment could never ignite since it needs to get at sparks in the engine or passenger side. Venting externally just like the tank does should work too but then you would need two of those small vents...once for the tank and one for the compartment.

Not sure if were into overkill territory again :)

HVAC Cruiser

Lieutenant

Yesterday was pretty productive I finished off the fiberglassing of the transom to the splashwell

Dry fitting the 1708
100_9459-1.jpg

All glassed in
100_9461-1.jpg

I even rolled the 1708 over the top edge for a little extra strength
100_9462-1.jpg

Then I glassed in the fuel cell sub-deck. The white tubes that are shown in the pic are drains for my bait wells. I added them and gave all the exposed foam a coat of epoxy resin so if a well insert cracked or leaked it would not soak the foam
100_9464.jpg

and faired in the splice on the cap
100_9470.jpg

For fairing compound I mixed cabosil and west system 407 low density powder. I don't know it West colors it on purpose but it gave me 25yo flashbacks of using red-lead.

Today I am going to install the fuel cell bulkhead ad finish off fairing and prep work and try to clean up this mess in my back yard, it looks like a bomb went off there.

It is going to be 73 here tomorrow, in light of that I want to try to prime all the glass work, deck transom etc... and paint the bilge tomorrow :)

HopeSheFloats

Lieutenant Commander

Cruising right along...nice work
and Caity sure seems to be enjoying herself...totally cool!

BobsGlasstream

Commander

Hey HVAC Cruiser,
I have three of those little helpers, but they are called grand kids. I spent the weekend with one of them that just turned three.
The boat is looking good. I didn't see the overkill part....:D
Have a great day.
Bob

Status
Not open for further replies.