Transom patch

zool

Captain
5:1 is standard laminating resin. Thats what u need.

the 2:1 is a specialty clear flexible formulation, not needed for ur application.

choose fast or slow based on temps where you are

mvs788

Cadet
Thank you so much, It gets very confusing reading about all the different types of resins and hardeners
2:1 3:1 5:1
Fast medium slow
Cosmetic
Structural
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Ya know

zool

Captain
Thank you so much, It gets very confusing reading about all the different types of resins and hardeners
2:1 3:1 5:1
Fast medium slow
Cosmetic
Structural
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Ya know
Just keep it simple, most everything you will be doing on your boat can and should be done with standard laminating resin. Heat speeds the cure of epoxy, so in a warm climate or day, slow hardener is used, around 70 deg, medium works best, cold temps, fast helps a bunch.

Epoxy is very forgiving to use, so u will be fine ;)

Jeff Fro

Petty Officer 1st Class
So far every section I opened up in the bilge as well as the port side of the transom, came out in pieces. So now I’m going to replace the entire transom
You'll feel much better with a full transom replacement when you are done. Gives a whole lot to peace of mind and saftey. What year is your Hawk? Looks like it'll be a fun boat.

When I cut the fiberglass layer off of my transom, the transom literally blew away.

Last edited:

mvs788

Cadet
You'll feel much better with a full transom replacement when you are done. Gives a whole lot to peace of mind and saftey. What year is your Hawk? Looks like it'll be a fun boat.

When I cut the fiberglass layer off of my transom, the transom literally blew away.
1986, there’s so much deck space, It’s awesome!
I’m gonna order transom material this week, I was able to do some grinding and sanding on Friday. Hooded Tyvek suit and a respirator.
I’m ordering three-quarter inch Coosa for the transom. I’m thinking it would be better to use Coosa for the deck also. I wouldn’t have to use resin underneath, and it would never rot
After tearing up the old deck I can’t see putting wood back down

mvs788

Cadet
1986, there’s so much deck space, It’s awesome!
I’m gonna order transom material this week, I was able to do some grinding and sanding on Friday. Hooded Tyvek suit and a respirator.
I’m ordering three-quarter inch Coosa for the transom. I’m thinking it would be better to use Coosa for the deck also. I wouldn’t have to use resin underneath, and it would never rot
After tearing up the old deck I can’t see putting wood back down
I’m making progress!!!
New core installed

Attachments

• 247F26FC-0A76-4650-B5FC-62FBFD550658.jpeg
    247F26FC-0A76-4650-B5FC-62FBFD550658.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 19

jeffrey.bean

Seaman
I’m gonna open up the old floor today, The previous on it put plywood on top of the rotted floor. It’s a 1986chawk, not sure if they used flotation foam
I have a 1990 Chawk 18, I had only planned on replacing the fuel tank :)

Attachments

• 42891AAF-ACC5-48E8-BB14-C9D0C28C1246.jpeg
    42891AAF-ACC5-48E8-BB14-C9D0C28C1246.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 8

Jeff Fro

Petty Officer 1st Class
Looks like you are making progress. It'll look like hell for quite a while. Then one day you'll notice that you've been putting stuff back together instead of tearing things apart.

I'd at least pull the tank and clean it out, check the hole it was mounted in and ensure all is good.