Time to get started on the starcraft resto.

SigSaurP229

Commander
Re: Time to get started on the starcraft resto.

I noticed that it helps keep me motivated if I can check even one minor item off of the list everyday, so here is today's minor update.

Trailer jack is on.

I went and purchased more carpet and started this. I really like this look.

I think the carpet between provides a nice contrast and gives it a finished out look.

SigSaurP229

Commander

Hi Sig. I'm a little confused by what I see in the picture. You are putting the tee nuts on the inside, opposite side to where the hinge will be aren't you? If the hinge is mounted directly to the flat side of the tee nut, they'll just pull out. I used these and discovered that if you don't add a little lubricant to the threads, you'll have trouble. I had to rip a seat apart again after the SS threads "galled" and welded to the SS bolt. - Grandad

I had thought of that Grandad but honestly I didn't want to unstaple all of the upholstery, so again thanks to my uncle there is a plate what will mount between the hinge and the tee nuts to hold everything into place. I know it doesn't make sense but its fashioned to distribute the torque among the whole seat back, I promise these Tee Nuts aren't going anywhere.

I am glad to see you stop by though as the quality of your build is 2nd to none.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014

I like the carpet's sharp contrast too. That check off list is a good way to keep going forward on the rebuild. I don't like seeing threads go red on here but something tells me I don't have to worry about yours turning. :joyous:

SigSaurP229

Commander

Yeah I am pretty active in my thread I try do something at least daily. I am in the home stretch at this point I absolutely am going to finish this project.

jvanhees

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yeah I am pretty active in my thread I try do something at least daily. I am in the home stretch at this point I absolutely am going to finish this project.

That's the spirit! :cheer2:

SigSaurP229

Commander

A little more cutting and placing of carpet today.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014

Just came in from my garage after shooting some paint. Looks like we're sort of on the same track with a little bit of finish work done about every day. Looking fine there Sig, keep the momentum going and the next thing you know it's going to be a done deal.

I keep day dreaming about being out in the Chief skimming the waves. Next month I'm thinking the lure of the water is going to have me out in the SN looking for some pre-spawn wally dogs in the Columbia.

SigSaurP229

Commander

Ohh I feel ya man, slow but sure. I am actually hope there maybe a few twists left to come in this resto that I haven't told anyone about if all the cards fall right and the time permits..

jbcurt00

Staff member

Looks great Sig!

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Ohh I feel ya man, slow but sure. I am actually hope there maybe a few twists left to come in this resto that I haven't told anyone about if all the cards fall right and the time permits..

OH NO - You grabbed Jason's Islander cabin and you're making a short Islander. Sorta like an Atoll. :lol:

SigSaurP229

Commander

Thanks guys good to see ya around for the finish work, no I am working on battery placement ideas with Jason :lol: I just a few little pretty it up ideas.

Say now that the structure rebuild is complete do you all think she could handle a 150hp its probably not gonna happen but the idea has been floating in my head.

I did find a 200hp evinrude in the price range I've been looking for but I think that may be a bit much

Last edited:

jbcurt00

Staff member

What's your 18ft'r rated for? Mine's rated for a 120hp. What's the weight jump to the 150? I looked real quick & didn't see a year either, so I could look it up myself.

I think some 18's are rated for 135, so I wouldn't be overly concerned about a 150 unless it's a lot more weight.

SigSaurP229

Commander

Its rated for a 140

about 30 lbs weight difference.

Last edited:

SigSaurP229

Commander

kind worried about getting stopped by TWRA though and being overpowered but since I have basically rebuilt the boat I think I remember hearing that I could have a new capacity plate made.

Last edited:

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner

kind worried about getting stopped by TWRA though and being overpowered but since I have basically rebuilt the boat I think I remember hearing that I could have a new capacity plate made.

I've only been checked a couple times in a couple states (not TN yet) and i've never been asked to see the plate. In fact, pretty sure my Carver doesn't have one.

jvanhees

Petty Officer 1st Class

Watermann has the link in his SN build, to have a new one made. :wink:

SigSaurP229

Commander

Yee haw what a weekend, I didn't really accomplish a whole lot other than a trip to the ER to get the wire from a broken grinding wheel dug out of my face.

I started the wiring for the fuel tank sender, and got started on the fuel tank mount.

I am getting ready to start the two things I have been dreading the console work, and the final stern assembly

jbcurt00

Staff member

I see what you did there ^^^ buried the injury in the beginning where some might miss it. Well, I hate to tell ya this, but the Starmada has spies everywhere.

We were able to grab this pix prior to the nurse pulling the wire wheel debris:
images