Time to get started on the starcraft resto.

SigSaurP229

Commander
Re: Time to get started on the starcraft resto.

Not really a whole lot to show today. I remounted the bow rails, and started running the controls mounted the tilt and trim box, started mapping out the stereo, still have massive amounts of work to do though, waiting on my iboats order to get here. Ordered new splashwell boots, drain tubes, and a massive glovebox to cut out the face on that passenger console and replace it with a glove box since the previous owner had put in a stereo and mounted a 4.5 inch speaker in the face of the console.

He mounted the other speaker on the side of the passenger console for that one I cut an aluminum plate and mounted one of my vin tags, the capacity plate and the Starcraft safety plate on it then mounting it as one assembly over top of the other hole.

Obligatory pic for today.

dozerII

Admiral

Coming along Sig, the last photo kinda looks like you have one of the kidos swimming in the ski locker/ lol

Last edited by a moderator:

SigSaurP229

Commander

Coming along Sig, the last photo kinda looks like you have one of the kidos swimming in the ski locker/ lol

Thanks Glenn good to hear from you again, any luck on your carb issues?

Ha I hadn't even noticed that.

budski

Lieutenant Commander

Hey Sig Here's how I did my gauge cluster for my v5, I purchased the empty cluster from Boaters Dream in Minnesota he also sells on ebay, he sells them either empty or with gauges, I bought it without gauges wasn't very costly I think about 10.00 I fabricated the back of it with aluminum and padded it then covered it with vinyl, then used small pop rivets to attach it to the edge of the plastic, I first made a pattern out of cardboard, then copied it with aluminum. just a thought you might want to try something like that. View attachment 200399View attachment 200400View attachment 200401View attachment 200402

SigSaurP229

Commander

Budski,

Man that is perfect thanks for the info. Exactly what I was looking to do.

Anyways a little more progress the toon is done with a repower I was tired of fooling with the old triple I traded it and put an 88 special on the back. Pontoons are for cruising but man did that extra 18 HP make a HUGE difference and will make even more when I get it proped right.

Whille I was dropping motors I figured what the heck I went ahead and dropped the 115 back on the starcraft. It really looks huge back there. Unfortunately the trim is stuck up though so there is a little work to be done on that some wiring a water pump new lower unit grease and carb rebuild we should be good to go hopefully.

Tell me what you think of these compression numbers please keep in mind this is the first time this motor has been cranked in 6 years.

Cyl# 1 120 psi
Cyl#2 120 Psi
Cyl#3 116 psi
Cyl#4 110 psi.

Obviously I am slightly concerned with cyl 4 being that much lower than the rest. Should I be concerned as it is within 10% does it warrant pulling the head to take a look? Should I try lube the cylinder up then rerun compression on all of them? What do you all think?

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Those are good numbers, Sig. After you run it some the numbers will probably go up as the old, gummy oil residue get dissolved and the rings free up.

classiccat

"Captain" + Starmada Splash Of The Year 2020

great stuff Sig...musical outboards sounds like fun!

as GaB said, retest the compression when she's warm...a decarb might also even things out (do your neighbors still like you? :lol:)

GA_Boater

After seeing your other post in the motor forum, I heartily endorse my advice. :lol: 2 stroke oil gets gummy after 6 years. Don't tear anything apart until you get it running on some Seafoam and cleaned out.

SigSaurP229

Commander

Thats kind of what I was thinking GA but it won't be run until I can get the new water pump in her, and get the carbs cleaned of the rotten gas I am sure was in them. Then after that I am going to have to get the motor trim working I think one cylinder was seized from sitting to long.

Hoping I can take it apart clean it with some emory cloth change the fluid and O-rings and pray that it works, I can hear the trim motor humming but no reaction from one side.

SigSaurP229

Commander

Ohh yeah musical motors is fun when its done like this.

Unfortunately when I put the motor on the starcraft it went down alot harder than I would have like since it was in the shop on a stand I had to use a hoist to lift it instead of the excavator. The rope slipped in the hoist and she came down pretty hard.

My transom didn't budge not even a wiggle. So that made me pretty happy.

GA_Boater

Boys and their toys. :D

SigSaurP229

Commander

Not much to show.

Speakers cut

Carpet the side panels done

jbcurt00

Staff member

Looking good Sig, where's the rest of the band? rehab? Or is this 1 of them solo guitar acts?

SigSaurP229

Commander

Yeah my little guy loves that stupid toy, after all he is 1 and it is loud annoying and obnoxious

jbcurt00

Staff member

Well, at least you get to have him w/ you in the Starcraft hanger.

The alternative would be him using it in the confines of the your house, so no boat work........

It probably be even LOUDER, more annoying & obnoxious inside the house :horn: Good times, all the same though hunh?

SigSaurP229

Commander

Well, at least you get to have him w/ you in the Starcraft hanger.

The alternative would be him using it in the confines of the your house, so no boat work........

It probably be even LOUDER, more annoying & obnoxious inside the house :horn: Good times, all the same though hunh?

It is great times, how many people can say as 1 year old I sat on my daddy's lap and helped him rebuild this boat. (hopefully him saying that at 50).

Part of the fun of this is family, they mean the world to me as a matter of fact.

Here is another good one.

jbcurt00

Staff member

yep, good times...

Make sure you leave your user name & password to Iboats in the will. They can find it & show the record to their kids :watermelon:

classiccat

"Captain" + Starmada Splash Of The Year 2020

Coming along great Sig! Nothin' better than a big, tin playpen for the little guy! Kids like hammering...too bad you don't have any rivets to buck :lol:

SigSaurP229

Commander

Coming along great Sig! Nothin' better than a big, tin playpen for the little guy! Kids like hammering...too bad you don't have any rivets to buck :lol:

You are correct man but my boat came equipped with chine bracing so very few rivets to rebuck. :;):

And Jb I sure hope the boat lasts that long.

SigSaurP229

Commander

Well guys not much picture worthy today.

The Starcraft now has working lights, bilge pump, horn, and stereo. I've ordered a carb rebuild kit, water pump kit, and fuel pump rebuild kit.

Its been a long time but Murphy came to visit today somehow I manage to break the fuel pump body. UGH so now instead of a $16.00 fuel pump kit I am now out an $85 fuel pump.

Hopefully no more snafu's when working on the engine.