Tilt trim switch wiring

Poormansboating

Petty Officer 1st Class
Ok I took a 50hp force off my Bayliner that had no tilt and trim. Im in process of putting a 85hp force on that does have tilt and trim that does work. It is wired up from electric moter to the engine but I'm not sure how to wire up the switch. Im wanting to wire it up on the Dash at the steering wheel. Anybody know much about how to do this

surfsalterpath

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Tilt trim wires: Blue/Green
Blue skies UP
Green grass DOWN

I'm trying to figure out similar except I want to add a tilt trim switch at the transom in addition to the tilt trim switch on the remote control handle. I guess I just "splice into" the green (down) & blue (up) & red (power) on the starter solenoid side of the wiring? Still trying to figure out where to splice in.

Your wiring harness from the FORCE to your remote control @ the dash should have the green and blue wires available to connect @ both ends of the harness. My 1996 FORCE 75hp has an engine wiring harness that the remote control box harness plugs into. (make SURE to dielectric grease that plug annually - mine corroded together and I had trim away the plug insulations to direct wire the engine harness (part#11 below) to the remote control harness)

ps: I'm a novice so if I am wrong I look forward to being corrected.

Good luck!

1623039317286.png

Last edited:

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
That diagram is for a later model and has no T@T ???
The switch needed is a 3 position spring loaded on/off/on
One on is for up, the middle is for hot, the 3rd is for down.
On the motor the up is Blue and down is green.
Does the 85 have T@T solenoids/relays?

1623059141903.png

Poormansboating

Petty Officer 1st Class
This Wednesday I'm putting the moter on my boat. I'm just trying to get it all figured out before I do. I believe this switch is all I'm really concerned with. The key and electric choke and all else I thank I got along with steering. Thanks for the help

Poormansboating

Petty Officer 1st Class
Do I need to wire the switch to the relays or to the terminal block that my ignition switch wires to.

surfsalterpath

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Do I need to wire the switch to the relays or to the terminal block that my ignition switch wires to.
Your wiring harness should have green & blue wires running thru it to hook up on your helm remote control up and down connections. That is all you need to do. I think.

Poormansboating

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hey do you happen to know how to troubleshoot a electric choke not working. I used the factory wiring off my boat Wich had the 50 hp on it and the wires seem a little different the those that were on the boat I took the 85 off of Wich I could not use due to then being all boogered up.

Poormansboating

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have a green wire coming from my electric choke on moter going to terminal block. From there I. The other side of that wire on terminal block I've tried hooking up different wires coming from wiring harness on boat with no success. The engine will start with the key Wich is a plus but the key but when I push the key in the choke does not engage. I'm so close to being able to water test this moter just a few more little things. Hopefully next Monday or Tuesday I can put it on the water

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
The green wire on the buss bar is the choke.
Test light?? Have someone at the key and activate using the test light.
The T@T doesn't go to the buss bar.
There should be 2 breakers on the 85 wiring system.
One for the T@T the other for the motor.

Carb cleaner in the choke, on the slide and then lube with a couple drops of thin oil.

Poormansboating

Petty Officer 1st Class
I tried oiling it up. I will try using a test light. Thanks alot buddy. I apologize for posting in two different places wasn't sure if I needed to start a new thread or not.

Poormansboating

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hopefully Monday or Tuesday I can finally put this boat on the water. Waiting on my trim switch. And got to figure out this choke and knock on wood I should be ready to go. Thanks for the help.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
The choke doesn't usually need adjusting, most times just a good
cleaning.
Carb cleaner right on the slide as you "manually" slide it in and out.
Then a bit of thin oil on the slide.

puffitu

Chief Petty Officer
My thoughts on this; the choke selonoid can malfunction if not strapped in correctly; maybe too tight or loose in the bracket. Maybe positioned too high or low in bracket. As Jerry suggested though; check with a light and also check with voltmeter for continuity in entire length of choke wire-sometimes it’ll get caught and kinked/swap out the wire and rule that out, maybe?

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
The choke doesn't usually go bad.
The connections???
All it takes is a 7/16 wrench and a helper to activate the switch.
If it's getting power you can use a jumper to supply voltage while you adjust it.