The R?surrection of the SeaGem

HVAC Cruiser

Lieutenant
Re: The R?surrection of the SeaGem

Well, sorry to say no boating today :( I got lazy with the thought of dragging he to the ocean. After being lazy I got ambitious and started working on the other boat (the 72 Cruiser with no name lol) and scrapped out a 4' x 6' area of rotted balsa core from the hull.

After I was completely itchy I took the ice box/refrigerator out of the Sea Gem. I am trying to decide how to redesign the stove/sink/ice box. The stove & sink is good but the ice box is junk.

I am thinking of making a new Ice box as a pull-out drawer. The box right now is a small one 14dx17wx20h . I can't go much bigger if any, so the next question I am asking myself is if it is worth the trouble. I mean what can I fit in it 2 6 packs at most lol.

I will post some up close pics in a little bit of the deck to see if anyone has a better idea for the space

HVAC Cruiser

Lieutenant

Ok, so here is the 40" long monstrosity

100_1500.jpg

With the seat flipped up you can see the sink

100_1493.jpg

Under the captains seat I also have another chest 42" long

100_1495.jpg

THEN......... on both sides I also have wells built into the deck

100_1505.jpg

Here is an overall view of everything

100_1507.jpg

If I really wanted to I could store coolers under the rear seating beside the doghouse

100_1506.jpg

Wifey is saying keep the sink if you want but get rid of the rest, when are you ever going to cook on the boat. BBQ MAYBE but use a stove to cook on a pan, NEVER.

I think she might have a valid point. The sink with running fresh water is one thing washing up etc. but when out on the water its sandwiches, I mean its not like I am going to live on her. Even if its a 3 day trip who really wants to cook cook,

The only thing is right now it all ends about the same point on the deck. If i shorten it, it might look weird. I am thinking of abandoning the stove and fridge and just make it seating like behind the Captains chair.

Any thoughts or input would be great

BobsGlasstream

Commander

Hey Bill,
I agree, kill the stove. Build a seat with storage under it or maybe a cooler/frig.
You can always use more storage.
Take care
Bob

HVAC Cruiser

Lieutenant

Hey Bob,

Yes & no lol, I think I am going to keep the stove and kill the fridge.

My nephew was over yesterday, thinks it would be cool cooking hanging out fishing and he wants to go crabbing. I think I am going to replace where the fridge is with a cabinet maybe some tackle draws built in etc :)

Well today Liam and I took her out for some fishing and to try out the 21p prop. Fishing Suc#@! But the prop did well.

I am learning how to navigate the channel from hell a little better. The depth finder is a huge help. Hate to say it but YOU NEED TO DRIVE ON THE WRONG SIDE OF THE ROAD as much as possible Heading Out !!
I am finding that staying close to the green buoys is dangerous the water gets low. my 3' alarm went off and I averted another disaster. I have found you have to hug the left side of the channel to stay safe.

We didn't catch any fish, I caught CRABS though :eek::eek: Actually they were monsters but I couldn't net them before they let go :(

Although I had some real heavy hits while reeling in stopped played with it a bit watched my pole bend in half each hit. Had to be strippers BUT I had squid on the line, guess they don't like squid lol :redface: (we went out for fluke oops ) .

Back to the prop, I hit 3500 at not even 1/2 throttle which tells me there was no real load. I started playing with the trim tabs today Man oh Man did she handle well. The boat got up flat on plane incredible at 40 or so she was smooth as silk BUT my prop slip is still way off the charts I am at 20% . I am starting to think its just because its a 4000# boat.

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

Thats a whole lotta deck..
That fridge is useless..so I say gut it and put in slide out tackle trays!
You could have a pull out or flip top (opposite the sink/seat set up) with a cutting board for baitfish and filleting (crabs?..lol) Then ya have the sink handy for hand and knife clean up

BobsGlasstream

Commander

Hey Bill,
Sounds Like a great plan and glad to here you had another great day on the boat.
I hope the good times keep rolling.
Take care
Bob

Huron Angler

Admiral

I'm with Kev...lose the fridge and just use coolers with lots of ice:)

A little bait station would be great, and the stove could be used to boil crab fresh outta the ocean, right?:D

What size fuel tank are you working with on the Sea Gem?

HVAC Cruiser

Lieutenant

Hi Bob, Yep it was another good day on the boat right up until my son got seasick :( , he must get that from his moms side ;). We wound up having to come in very carefully during low tide. Boy that harbor gets real low.

Hey Kev, It is a lot of deck, the upper deck is 8'2 x 5'4 then I have 46" from the cuddy cabin bulkhead to the top step @ the upper deck :D

The bait table is a great Idea, I like your flip open thought, this way I can double the surface area keeping it at the same height. I do have a table on the boat now it plugs into a socket in the deck just in front of the doghouse, but it is big, bulky, cumbersome and more in the way than anything else.

Hi H.A. - She has a 70 or 75gal fuel tank I forget which. I know its bigger than my 72 Cruiser that has a 50gal. I haven't filled her all the way up yet, been doing the 30-$40 at a time routine. She was 1/2 full when I got her I wanted to burn through it mixing with premium before I filled it. not to mention a $210 fill-up is not in the budget right now.

Well no boat today my dance card is full with work, but that's a nice change of pace too.

vegasphotoman

Lieutenant

Hey Billy!

glad yall had a good time!
\
sorry to hear your still having the prop slip issues... Im thinking a larger diameter 4 blade is definitely the way to go...anyone else agree with me chime in!

CheapboatKevs got the right idea probably with the tackle trays/storage/fish/crabbin station etc...

would be a ball to eat some crab/drink beer while watching the sunset...sleep overnight...do some AM fishin and head in during high tide etc....fun fun!

those channel markers prob been there for years un moved...the channel prob moved a bit...looks like alot of sand and sediments from the satellite images...plus the chains that hold those bouys is prob long and drift causes em to be offset from where they need to be...especially at low tide...Im sure those bouy lines are way offset.

hate to say it but its a shame nanny gub'mint can't have atleast one or 2 free ramps for the general public.......that other ramp I mentioned would be awsome easy for ya....

BobsGlasstream

Commander

Bill,
Sorry to hear your day was cut short over the little one getting sick.:(

I think I agree with Vegas on the prop. It should help out the slip issue.

One more thought too. Have you thought about using a grille instead of the stove?
take care and keep the pic's coming.
Bob

HVAC Cruiser

Lieutenant

Hey Vegas, Yep I think I am going to go with either the 21p 4 blade Solas Rubex Or the http://boatpropellers.iboats.com/Me...3/?**********=109721354&*******=169951527]20p 4 blade Michigan Vortex[/URL]

I am trying to determine which is the better blade configuration with either one its only $90 & $91 here on iBoats

Hi Bob, That is what my wife is saying just to get a grill.

In the meantime I hated the back seat so I went out and bought some marine vinyl at Jo-Ann fabrics and broke out the sewing machine:D

Here is the color scheme
100_1610.jpg

Ignore the wide stitch on the right side, I am going to make another pass so it looks like this

100_1612.jpg

I am having a heck of a time making the piping :( The thread keeps knotting up on :(the bobbin side, I am thinking that I don't have the tension high enough on the machine. Tomorrow is another day so I stopped for tonight before I started ruining material.

If anyone has any tips or tricks for the piping Please chime in

Nite everyone

HVAC Cruiser

Lieutenant

Hi Bob
Hi Kenny

Thanks for the links they helped a lot, answered lot of my questions. I did a few searches and found they make a piping/welting foot. I do have a zipper foot, I haven't tried it yet I will do that in the AM.

My daughter turns 5 on Wednesday and wants to have a little party (just the 4 of us ) on the boat so I want it nice for her :).

I also started cleaning and oiling the teak Saturday and it is coming out beautiful.

I am hoping to finish the seats tomorrow although I do have replace 2 3/4 plywood seat bases but I think I will just paint the wood to seal it.

BobsGlasstream

Commander

Hey Bill,
Hope you finish the seat in time. It's great to have the family enjoying your work.
August 25, That's my brothers birthday too. Have fun with the little one.
Take care.
Bob

fauxmeister

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Bill, Great Boat!!! You have done an awesome job and look forward to seeing it completed...Glad you are enjoying it in the meantime.

vegasphotoman

Lieutenant

Cool on the prop Bill, I'd be willing to bet a few bucks it will help your slippage....

wow Bill the jump seat looks great!

Awsome that your sewing it up! its a ***** sewing inside out aint it

Joanns is a rip off for fabrics...pretty much double the price ya can find good vinyl online....but with thier 1/2 off coupons if you sign up for their mailing list every month they send ya coupons....then its reasonable.:D great job on the stitching....I found that if you use the foot that is offset so you can get REAL CLOSE to the joint...it makes for a good tight sew. same with the piping....the sew line has got to be mega tight to the pipe. thats the big trick, plus holing all the parts together...especially around turns etc is a real bear....it's definetly a SKILL :p

Happy Birthday to your little Princess Bill.....your daughter is about 12 days younger than my daughter.....we were going throuogh the same thing 5 years back lol NEWBORNS

Bill...we bought a all metal sewing machine a couple months back but haven't tested it out yet......the old plastic Singer we got would occasionally have issues like you were having with the thread piling up...and it didnt like going through 4 to 6 layers of vinyl :eek:
.....sometimes its too thick of thread with a small needle etc....I found testing on scraps alot before going for it helps....worse part is when ya test and it woks perfect then ya go to do the real thinig and it bunches up or jacks up on ya...P.I.T.A.!

HVAC Cruiser

Lieutenant

Hey Bob,
Happy birthday to your brother:) The seats are done but I have a 8am meeting 50 mi away + they are calling for rain here :(. I told my little one we will go out and have a party on the boat on thursday

Hey fauxmeister,

Thanks, I look forward to having it completed too LOL. After this one I can go back to my original project the 72?? Cruiser .

Hey Vegas,
Yep we were both spending time in the maternity ward and not getting anything LOL...

I am going to sign up to Jo-Ann tonight, I still need more material. For the piping I used my zipper foot and offset my needle and it got real close. Caity actually tugged on my arm a few times and I got too close. They do sell a piping foot that has a tunnel built right into it for the rope.

I still have to make the side panels for the gunwales but aside for a few mishaps they are finished

100_1626.jpg

Now for the bad news!!! Two things, although I took extra effort to make sure every stripe was aligned when I put the seats back in the boat I found the the backrests don't line up with the seat cushions. The next problem is I stretched the material a little to make them nice and smooth. Well, I now have a gap between the backrest and seat

100_1628.jpg

Tomorrow after my meeting I am going to see what I can do to re-align them an at least get them close

HopeSheFloats

Lieutenant Commander

Looks great Bill, as we say in the construction biz...looks fine, nail it! :D
Tell the little one we all said Happy B-Day!!:)

83vert

Petty Officer 1st Class

The seats look great, keep up the good work. Hurry up and finish with that boat so we can start on your Jeep, I am officially addicted LOL. To Jeeps that is:eek::eek::eek: