The R?surrection of the SeaGem

proshadetree

Lieutenant Commander
Re: The R?surrection of the SeaGem

You should have known better I cant believe how could you make such a mistake? Yes if you have worked on anything you have done the same thing. I pulled an engine tranny out of a chevy over a loose converter. Dented oil pan on an s10 caused an engine rebuild we all goof up sometimes. changed an old 351 in a ford over a push rod thought it was a burnt valve. I live and then I learn :):p

HVAC Cruiser

Lieutenant

You should have known better I cant believe how could you make such a mistake? Yes if you have worked on anything you have done the same thing. I pulled an engine tranny out of a chevy over a loose converter. Dented oil pan on an s10 caused an engine rebuild we all goof up sometimes. changed an old 351 in a ford over a push rod thought it was a burnt valve. I live and then I learn :):p

LOL,
Yep I jumped the gun screwed up. Guess we all have our bad days :redface: . I think it has a lot to do with me not being happy with the #'s to begin with heard a noise and jumped all over it. Oh well its going to cost me 2 days and a $50 gasket set. could have been worse.

Then again, I could aslo be on the water right now
crying-2.gif

sprintst

Commander

Hey... That's a blessing compared to what it could have been.

You should celebrate with a beer :) Drink more but less smoking :)

The liver is the only internal organ that repairs itself don't ya know...

drewpster

Commander

Where I am from we call that finding the problem. It may have taken more work than you liked, but it took that much work to find it! No matter how finely tuned our ears are, something like this reminds us that humility is a virtue. Good job.

Damifudo

Petty Officer 1st Class

Dont you remember when you first started doing HVAC. You went on the first service call and you thought the whole unit was trashed. I remember looking at it thinking it is all broke. It probably needs replaced. How can I check out everything. Turned out to be a control fuse a 25 cent item. It is so easy these days to expect the worse and over look the simple items. What you just got for you efforts is experinece!! You will be out on the water in no time now that you know what the problem is.

I am enjoying reading about your build. I cant wait till you get her in the water and we hear about how good you felt!

HVAC Cruiser

Lieutenant

Thanks for all your words of support, yep finding it was very humbling, I feel like a jerk.

Hey sprint 5 days now no smokes :) I am wearing 2 patches, going through candy like crazy but so far so good.

Today I am going to try to get the engine back together. If I have time this week maybe get it back in the boat?

tallcanadian

Captain

Congrats on the no smoking. One day at a time. I quit some 12 years ago and haven't gone back. Not smoking r-r-really h-h-hasn't afffected m-m-me at at aaalll. Good luck with that. If you can not smoke for the rest of your build, you will have her quit.

83mulligan

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Wow, congrats on the 5 days bill. Hey, some words of advice....don't be trying to split the atom or solve complicated engine problems when going through nicotine withdrawls!!!!! lol.

Chuck Gibson

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Congrats on the no smoking routine. I am now starting my ninth week smoke free but I have to tell ya, while working on this small sailboat and smelling the smoke coming from my neighbors house..... Anyway your oil pan problem reminds me of a saying that one of our old Scoutmasters used to say that would hack anyone off that it was used on..."Stuff like this builds character!"
Keep up the good work!

HVAC Cruiser

Lieutenant

Th Th Th Thanks TC ;)

Aw come on Steve, no splitting atoms? I know you just don't wanna see me blow-up :eek::D

Thanks Chuck, Congratulations on week 9. My wife quit a year ago then started hounding me to quit. Nobody around me smokes not even the neighbors which makes it a little easier for me.

redfury

Commander

Could have been worse, you could have put it all back together only to have the same problems again. I did this with my wifes car. The oil light came on, it lurched violently and died. I came home and it started up and ran like it was on 3 cylinders. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=00ZUtWPCMmM

First, I thought it was the ignition control module, then the crank sensor. Then, I replaced the intake manifold gasket ( it was bad, and I had been told about it by a mechanic a month prior, but didn't want to pay him to replace it..how hard can an intake gasket be? ) Found a bend pushrod and stuck lifter. So, I replaced all the lifters and the pushrod. Nope, still runs like crap. Thought it was something else, something else, something else.

When it was all done and said, I had replaced the timing chain/gearset, the oil pump and pulled a cylinder, had the bent valve replaced ( duh! ) only to have it run just like the video. I spent 3 months working on this thing trying to figure it out ( no garage, just the parking pad in front of my mobile home...so imagine how many times I pulled out tools and put them away :eek: )

But, that problem ended up being a broken camshaft. The intake gasket that was bad allowed coolant to leak down to the bearing, locking up the cam, it twisted in half and the one valve now stuck open got struck by the piston and bent it and the pushrod. I ended up putting in a different motor, drove the car for 3 years and sold it.

I try to not jump to conclusions anymore, though tempting as it is. I react, then calm down, sit back and think it through and go back to the one rule I was taught in the army. K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple, Stupid. :p

HVAC Cruiser

Lieutenant

Could have been worse, you could have put it all back together only to have the same problems again.

I try to not jump to conclusions anymore, though tempting as it is. I react, then calm down, sit back and think it through and go back to the one rule I was taught in the army. K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple, Stupid. :p

Sush, Its not back together and running again yet don't junx me :eek:

Yep I know, Breath Bill, just Breath relax and think it out before you act LOL ;)

vegasphotoman

Lieutenant

glad it was the pan and not that crank journal walk you were talking about on the phone :) when did that pan dent happen anyways? jeez sorry ya had to yank her out to find that problem! DOH!!!! as Homer would say

hey the fuel pump pivot pin on our boats fuel pump plunger lever had FALLEN OUT and wasnt pivoting.. the darned pump....thats why it was pumping a little but not completely failed...crazy...ran her up

HVAC Cruiser

Lieutenant

hey the fuel pump pivot pin on our boats fuel pump plunger lever had FALLEN OUT and wasnt pivoting.. the darned pump....thats why it was pumping a little but not completely failed...crazy...ran her up

Happy fathers day I was going to call yesterday when I realized my problem but it was 7:30 am here didn't want to wake you lol

Oh Man, I hate it when that happens :eek: pivots don't pivot, plungers don't plunge, Diaphragms don't diaphragm or whatever they do lol.
Glad it was an easy fix for you :)

I just got done building the short block AGAIN lol. Now I have to wait for a check so I can buy the gasket set to put it all back together :(

IMG00539.jpg

Short block together AGAIN

Hey one of my childhood friends is moving to Vegas, so now I have an additional reason to visit lol :D

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Nothing like building something twice. I've never had quite that big of one but I did do an entire impeller job on my last outboard and realized I'd forgotten to put the key in the impeller just as I was tightening the last bolt on the lower unit. Just last week I was replacing the hard drive in my (apparently disposable) netbook and misaligned one little thing that wouldn't allow the power cord to plug and had to tear it all down again (damn tiny little screws).

sprintst

Commander

Man that engine looks good :)

I fought with a rebuild I did years back. It ran like it was on 3 cylinders after all my hard work. Replaced anything that moved including plug wires, cap, etc. I missed the the rotor had one of the contacts that arc'd off.

What a good feeling to finally hear that thing purr like it was supposed to from the beginning.

83vert

Petty Officer 1st Class

I never doubted for a minute that you would not figure it out. That boat will be a nice getaway for you and the family when your done. I will stop by this week and drop off the tools, they worked great. :D

BobsGlasstream

Commander

HVAC Cruiser,
No matter how you found it, you found it. So don't beat yourself up.
Hey congrates on the smoking thing too.
To be honest, to stop smoking is not that hard. I did it 20-30 times today alone. :D:p:D It's the staying stopped that's hard.
Good luck with it all.
Bob

proshadetree

Lieutenant Commander

Stopped 38 times myself only 2 left in second pack. My hats off to any smoker who quit. Except those that just throw them down that ticks me off. I toss them out the window going down the road and then jump out after them

HVAC Cruiser

Lieutenant

Yep doing things twice is lousy at times, But ya know what doesn't kill us makes us stronger so I am told lol.

Thanks for all the words of encouragement on the smoking thing I am still smoke free :).
I thought I was going to fall of the wagon yesterday, it was a friend of mines birthday and we went to the country club (LOL) to celebrate. It was to be a night of drinks and Cuban Cigars. Well I was given one too but after lighting it with everyone else I just let it burn out in my hand without smoking the darn thing :).

I thought I would be craving it and smoke it BUT it really gave no effect or craving whatsoever. I think I am beating this :)

P.S. doing a drop and roll after a pack of smokes out of a moving vehicle is never any fun PST I've been there myself lol