The R?surrection of the SeaGem

HVAC Cruiser

Lieutenant
Re: The R?surrection of the SeaGem

Sorry to hear about your problems. Im sure you will have it figured out in no time though.

Thanks Man,
Well the exhaust manifold issue was something I didn't plan on with them being new. I called the company they are replacing them BUT as far as the other problems I found Humm. All I can say is I went against my better judgment and listened to others, I am pissed at myself. I am to the point where I am about to say the heck with it, go .030 over with new pistons, have the crank cut .010 and call it a day. That is what I should have done in the 1st place when I saw the #'s were not to my liking.

SO, trying to skimp I get to do it over again :mad: and spend twice Grrrrrrrr

tdrudd87

Petty Officer 1st Class

Tough break HVAC. Your situation is the same thing that keeps me up at night with my engine. I found bent con-rods by checking deck height AFTER the best machine shop in the area went thru them and set the pistons. Good thing you have the knowledge to dig yourself out.

Terry

HVAC Cruiser

Lieutenant

Tough break HVAC. Your situation is the same thing that keeps me up at night with my engine. I found bent con-rods by checking deck height AFTER the best machine shop in the area went thru them and set the pistons. Good thing you have the knowledge to dig yourself out.

Terry

Hi Terry,
Bent rods OUCH
I am really kicking myself, when I initially got my block back from the machine shop and checked everything I really wasn't thrilled with what I saw. I was just out of range with my clearances for a street or in this case boat engine. but I let the guy talk me into the "It will be fine speech" because I am pretty broke right now. Well I am going there Wednesday and I would like to shove the block down his throat then tell him " don't worry it will be fine"

I am going to wind up putting new slugs in it and cutting the crank its an expensive lesson learned "Always trust your instinct" .

tdrudd87

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yep, 4 went in good, 3 went in good, 2 was about .010 lower and tilted a bit, and #1 was pushed against the rear of the cyl, tilted, and .030 lower than 3&4. I was TICKED! Pulled them, and you could see it with naked eyes on 1. Basically had the engine bound up.

Thought about going only .010 or .020 over to leave some "next time" room? Or are your new pistons easier to get at .030?

Terry

proshadetree

Lieutenant Commander

Why run forged instead of cast? Cast will live at 6000 rpm if tune is good

tallcanadian

Captain

I don't know how I missed this build. I had no idea you were doing a build, Hvac. Great looking boat by the way. Too bad about the motor issue. Denial is a wonderful thing, at least until reality hits. With all this work how do you find the time to be peaking into peoples cameras. lol. How long do you think it will be before you get the engine back in?
I'll be watching this one for sure. Good luck with the engine.

sprintst

Commander

D'oh. Hopefully mine is ok. I guess I'll find out soon enough.

Sorry about the tough luck. If I were there I'd help out idf I could.

There is nothing like doing it yourself. Your instincts are something not to be messed with. Same for uppercut and right cross :)

I hear if you can hit them hard enough it messes with their last 15 min of memory.

HVAC Cruiser

Lieutenant

Hey Terry,

Thats pretty bad with the rods, sorry to hear that. I could go .010 or .020, .030 is a little easier to get. It will still leave room for the future there is still .040 .060 & .080 . But I really don't plan on having to tear it down again ;)

HEY PST
I the forged came with the engine, I didn't buy new I was only freshening it. I will probably go with cast or Hypereutectic

Hey TC
Yea I know the truth, you were to busy not sharing your beer with me or Kenny to notice my thread :eek::D . How long it takes to get back in depends on my warranty replacement for the bad GLM manifold and of course $. This has probably set me back 2-3 weeks :(

Hey Sprint,

Yep, this is what I get for not listening to myself

As far as the machinist, Na I'm not going to hit him, I might accidentally drop the engine on him :eek::D

83mulligan

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Hang in there bill, i know you'll get hit done right

redfury

Commander

Well, the simple fact that you can check these clearances, and know what is going on goes far and beyond what the average guy he probably sees come through his shop. The simple fact of it is that he shouldn't be doing the work if he can't be that committed to detail...no way you get a reputation like some of the big engine builders by not doing every job with a very low tolerance for mistakes.

And I agree wholeheartedly about listening to your instincts. NEVER go against your instincts. I tell this to my customers when I go into their jobs and they have a complaint. Never make a decision you will question after the fact if you can ever avoid it. You never want to leave something with an uneasy feeling afterwards, because you aren't trusting the end result, no matter how good or bad it ends up being. If you are picky, then be picky...anyone in business needs to know how to satisfy the pickiest customer and should be able to recognize them in the first place to be able to do their best to put them at ease and make sure the job is done right the first time, to avoid the "picky" customer from returning over and over again until they are satisfied.

HVAC Cruiser

Lieutenant

Hey Red,
You are 300% right, worst part I knew better. I tried to tell myself that John knew better, I mean heck he used to beat Jenkins all the time, back in the day. Well things have changed and he doesn't do much work anymore and is very depressed. Another mistake I made was to use plastigauge insed of my mic on the journals, I was being lazy. I looked at the rod bearings lowers look new, upper really polished off already showing signs of wear Im going to Mic it up later to see how far off 2.1 it really is. this top of the pistons show scuffing signs. This is a perfect case of trying to cut corners on parts (money) coming back to bite you. I spent 2 days porting the heads only to skimp on the bottom end :eek: In my own defense I was only .0003 on the piston clearance, Mic-ing it 1/2" up the skirt and the bearings gave me a .002 0n the plastigauge .

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

Dont I remember you wanting to bore his mouth out .30 over awhile back with your fists when you first dealt with the machine shop???

HVAC Cruiser

Lieutenant

Dont I remember you wanting to bore his mouth out .30 over awhile back with your fists when you first dealt with the machine shop???

Hey Kev,
Lol, Yep that was the chewed up valve stems I found when I went to start taking the heads apart to port them.

vegasphotoman

Lieutenant

Go Bill! Hey man...what's the status on GLM coving the cost of repairs??????

keep yer chin up Bill you are almost complete on this project and will be in the water soon enough....

drewpster

Commander

Go Bill! Hey man...what's the status on GLM coving the cost of repairs??????

I have the same question. If the exhaust was leaking NEW then they have a liablility issue here. Small claims court is $40 to file a case where I live. Settle for a new short block and new/ tested exhaust parts seems fair to me. Long block is even better.

proshadetree

Lieutenant Commander

If your clearance was that close on forged pistons cast will most likely be perfect.

HVAC Cruiser

Lieutenant

If your clearance was that close on forged pistons cast will most likely be perfect.

Hi PST,
I looked back in the thread to see what I posted, that was a typo what I meant was I was .0003 out on my clearance. The pistons at the old TRW-L2256F Std. slugs. the clearance for them is .0015-.004 the old forgings have a huge expansion rate I have run them as far a .006 but they do slap when cold. These are set up that the biggest clearance is .0043 I am going to check them with the machinist, he was supposed to do it to begin with but that's besides the point. Not having a proper bore gauge I used my inside micrometer and I am starting to wonder about my measurements taken.

I am pissed at myself because I was lazy and used plastigauge on my bearings, well I mic-ed up the rod journals today and they are between 2.0980 &2.099 making them .002-.003 under to start from the 2.1 that they are supposed to be

HVAC Cruiser

Lieutenant

I have the same question. If the exhaust was leaking NEW then they have a liablility issue here. Small claims court is $40 to file a case where I live. Settle for a new short block and new/ tested exhaust parts seems fair to me. Long block is even better.

I am starting to get upset with them, I have called a few times the warranty dept is usually either @ lunch or just stepped out for a min :mad: I am trying again tomorrow.

sprintst

Commander

Hopefully they are not knobs. With any luck they don't want the hassle and just look after you like a real business.

HVAC Cruiser

Lieutenant

OK, so I have been arguing with myself as to what to post. This is embarrassing. As some of you that know me know I tend to jump to conclusions, I am a stickler for detail Some big time OCD problems over here. With that said,

WELL 1st let me start with the exhaust manifold. Yep those white crusty lines sure do look like cracks BUT I pressure tested them Hum holds pressure no leaks :confused: scraped the crusty part off, BLISTERED PAINT Grrrrr. end of manifold problems.

Next started checking everything with my micrometers, same exact measurements as the 1st time, a little loose but no looser than I have put together before and never had a problem.
I have listened to the recording 100 times trying to determine what it could be. if it was poston slap it should have gone away when the engine warmed up. if it was bearings, something should have spun .

THEN I LOOKED!!!
IMG00538.jpg

What you are seeing in the photo is the spot were the crank was hitting the oil pan :eek::mad:. NOW I am pissed with myself, by jumping to conclusions and 2nd guessing the engine is completely torn down for a stupid oil pan problem. Boy I just love giving myself more work needlessly