Still wont start - what's next?

Rmsari

Seaman
Any advice appreciated here is where I am - order or what I have done

1. 6hp 1967 Johnson - Sat for a number of years - not sure if it ran before that
  2. Did get it to run after 30 to 40 pulls - tried starting after that nothing. Sounded good. No water out of pee hole. Replaced impleeler - old one looked good though (another issues to deal with later?)
  3. Took carb apart - did not use kit but soaked and blew out passages. Looked really clean.
  4. Checked compression 60lbs each cylinder cold
  5. Replaced all electrical (thought maybe weak spark)- coils, condensors, wires, points - getting a 1/4 in spark on tester
  6. Squirted premix in carb - did not sound like it wants to fire
  7. Have carb rebuild kit - have not done yet - thought I'd see if it would fire with squiting gas into it

What do you think is next?

thanks

BonairII

Commander
Re: Still wont start - what's next?

Are plugs wet after all the attempted starting?

Rmsari

Seaman

I'd say they looked damp but I expected them to be more soaked. I was expecting them to look real wet - Kind of like when you pull plugs when car flooded. They did not look like that.

Friend of mine that is a mechanic - asked same question. He was guessing it was fuel related. I thought I'd get some type of fire though squirting int carb though.

BonairII

Commander

Flywheel key ok? Did you SCREW IN the coil wires or just jam them in?

Rmsari

Seaman

screwed in coil wires. plus getting spark.

i'm a little of a newb on these but if the flywheel key is the piece that fits on the shaft that you need to line it up when putting flywheel on then yes it is ok.

nwcove

Admiral

have you tried putting a few drops of fuel directly into the cyls? it should at least make a good sputer that way.

BonairII

Commander

Are the spark plugs new? And correctly gapped? If so, try pulling the plugs and have somebody else pull start it, while you hold a white cloth over each cylinder hole...check cloth to see if the cyinder(s) are getting fuel.

Are you using a 2-line pressurized fuel tank? If so, make sure the fuel and air hoses aren't reversed...and also make sure the tank is holding pressure.

nwcove

Admiral

Are the spark plugs new? And correctly gapped? If so, try pulling the plugs and have somebody else pull start it, while you hold a white cloth over each cylinder hole...check cloth to see if the cyinder(s) are getting fuel.

Are you using a 2-line pressurized fuel tank? If so, make sure the fuel and air hoses aren't reversed...and also make sure the tank is holding pressure.

the 1967 shouldnt have a dual line set up.

nwcove

Admiral

lol....i know what yer sayin bonair! i have to read slow.....cuz my reading glasses need upgrading....but when i get to the dollar store again.....i will read fast again! ......and miss stuff!!:p

RandyJ

Master Chief Petty Officer

There's some stuff you can buy at Lowe's and several other places called PB something or the other. (they keep it near the lawn mower parts) It's the same brand that makes PB Blaster which is great for loosening rusty nuts. I've been able to get a few old motors to start using that stuff to lube cylinders.
Here's another trick or two I've used just to get going on old junkers I've come up with. squirt oil in the cylinders with the motor oriented so the oil will go down the side of the cylinders toward the rings. This will help increase the compression on first start and may help seal the rings as well as lube the cylinder walls. 60 psi on cylinders may be okay for that old motor but it doesn't sound like enough compression to me. The PB stuff is supposed to help loosen rings on motors that have set up. The directions is pretty much to squirt in spark plug holes for 15 seconds then when you get it to start give it a few squirts in the carb throat. I'd say it's pretty good stuff and the lube definitely won't hurt a thing. If you've got compression and good spark then just a squirt of starting fluid is how I at least get the first bang out of an old hard to start engine... but DO NOT continue using starting fluid to start it. Without the oil in the fuel you'll burn up bearings and all the goodies inside the engine.

Rmsari

Seaman

new plugs and gapped correctly. I've gotten advice from others that 60lbs cold for pull motor should start. What about the vane on the intake - could that be keeping it from getting fuel? I'll try fule in cylinders and see what happens.

lindy46

Captain

have you tried putting a few drops of fuel directly into the cyls? it should at least make a good sputer that way.

Yup - try this. If it hasn't run in a long time, you may just need to "prime the pump".

RandyJ

Master Chief Petty Officer

Yup... don't give up!

Rmsari

Seaman

ok - primed the pump - not a sputter - I think the compression is to low - checked again - right around 55. What course should I take now? thanks

BonairII

Commander

Probably gonna have to pull the head and see what's going on in there.

lindy46

Captain

ok - primed the pump - not a sputter - I think the compression is to low - checked again - right around 55. What course should I take now? thanks

If it didn't sputter with fuel sprayed driectly in cylinders, you have no spark.

Rmsari

Seaman

If it didn't sputter with fuel sprayed driectly in cylinders, you have no spark.

Hmm put spark tester on plugs and seen spark. So even with low copression I should get a sputter?

Rmsari

Seaman

I think I will pull the heads. Could a bad head gasket cause you to have same readings for compression in both cylinders - both a pretty cloase at 55 psi?

lindy46

Captain

Before pulling head, I'd try soaking the cylinders in Seafoam. Place motor with spark plug holes pointing up and pour a little Seafoam in each. Let soak a day or two and re-check compression. 55-60psi and even really isn't that bad, and should come up with the Seafoam soak. Even so, you should have gotten some fire by pouring gas directly into the cylinders if you had good spark.