Still wont start - what's next?

Rmsari

Seaman
Re: Still wont start - what's next?

Thanks - good idea I'll just take it down a bit and double the gaskets. What turns the metal black and soft?

Haffiman

Commander

Thanks - good idea I'll just take it down a bit and double the gaskets. What turns the metal black and soft?
The metal corrodes away, leaving the non-corrosive impurities in the alloy, mainly carbon.

Rmsari

Seaman

Just curious what others use to torque srews - only wrench I hae is for my car repairs and it looks like it will be a little cumbersome

halfmoa

Ensign

I believe it was bought for me for a job I was on years ago...not much help, I know. Sorry...

Rmsari

Seaman

no problem - found one on amazon $50

Rmsari

Seaman

Just want to check that I have seal the right way #53 and if there is any special lubing required for it. Assuming once case goes back together it sits on top with cam sitting in it. And just lightly oil ring. Service manual I have makes no reference to it in pics or assembly. And it was not on it when I took engine apart. Does show up in parts list when ordering. Also what the purpose of the spiral ring in the seal. thanks

100_0665.jpg

seal.png

Haffiman

Commander

Looks correct. The spring is there to keep sealing tension.

Rmsari

Seaman

Looks correct. The spring is there to keep sealing tension.

Thanks almost ready to put it back together. Still a mystery with what happened with the old one. Also, seal does not look like it seals off the whole thing. There a slot you can see on top of crank on the right side that is not completely covered by seal.

Haffiman

Commander

The key-way should end before the seal. Got a closer pic?

Rmsari

Seaman

The key-way should end before the seal. Got a closer pic?

I think mystery solved - I thought it was a 1967 but i t looks like in 66 they used a slinger instead of a seal. So I may have a 1965 or 1966. There was no serial numbers on motor and someone inked on '67'. I guess I assumed wrong.

66pics.jpg

100_0667.jpg

kfa4303

Banned

I think you're right. I have a '66 FD-20C, a '67 would be a FD-21 and a '65 would be a FD-19. There should be an ID tag riveted on to the transom clamp (usually on the left side). Lookin' good.

Haffiman

Commander

The slinger is not a seal. Its function is to prevent oil from getting up to the ignition armature plate. As oil get up along the shaft, it hits the slinger which by centrifugal force sends it out to the outer walls and gravity brings it down. The actual crank case sealing (compression) depends on the oil-film between the shaft and housing.
Got a pic with shaft removed? (Both halves)

Rmsari

Seaman

The slinger is not a seal. Its function is to prevent oil from getting up to the ignition armature plate. As oil get up along the shaft, it hits the slinger which by centrifugal force sends it out to the outer walls and gravity brings it down. The actual crank case sealing (compression) depends on the oil-film between the shaft and housing.
Got a pic with shaft removed? (Both halves)

Here you go..

100_0670.jpg

100_0673.jpg

Haffiman

Commander

The upper bearing surface and part of center has taken quite a beating. Check out the circulation/drain hose and channels.
Page 3, #28.
However with a super clean surface and thin layer of Gel Seal II between the halves, it should work!
Use some 40 engine oil with Moly Lube (Molycote 7400) on bearing surfaces when assembling.

Rmsari

Seaman

The upper bearing surface and part of center has taken quite a beating. Check out the circulation/drain hose and channels.
Page 3, #28.
However with a super clean surface and thin layer of Gel Seal II between the halves, it should work!
Use some 40 engine oil with Moly Lube (Molycote 7400) on bearing surfaces when assembling.

Ok - thanks