Sticky links are mis-directed

further

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Not sure if I'm missing something but the links for the #3 volvo penta information and #11 How to: Winterize your engine and drive in the "Adults Only" and "Must Have technical info for diyer's" Threads are directed to some thread that is not correct. Can someone look into this?
Thanks

Fun Times

Staff member
still happening, trying to get into adults only mercruiser section.
Unfortunately most every sticky seems to be "missed placed" throughout the forum via direct link. And truth be told we could use some additional help in finding them again.

They are still online someplace and there's a few general ways of trying to relocate them should you happen to be sort of familiar with what the context were such as an example of what I mentioned and did in the following post as one general guide, #7 .

Using a/any search feature, If you happen to locate one/any section or even in this case the whole start of the original sticky such as Mercruiser Information, Volvo Penta Information, etc. etc., Please feel free to either link it here, click on the report thread button with a little note of what you found or reach out to one of the forum Moderators for quicker repair/replacement of the missing sticky link.

Example, # 1 seems to be in place but #2, #3 #4 are missing plus many more I'm sure.
1. How to Ask a Question .... Please Read This Before Posting A Question...

Mercruiser Information

3. Volvo Penta Information

4. OMC Information

Thanks everyone.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
I'm NOT a computer dude so probably stupid words to follow.

A) is there not a copy of the old forum out there to go look into

B) because if so can't yall (or a volunteer) just go there and get the string and see if that finds it here?

The VP sub-section appears to work from the adults only mercruiser section (https://forums.iboats.com/threads/vp.349841/) as most of the other links just not the mercruiser one. I tried replacing the vp with mc in case it was a standard naming convention, didn't work with or without the 349841 at the end. **DO NOT TRY IT WITH THE NUMBER AT TE END IF ON A WORK COMPUTER**

If A or B works and you need help i will volunteer. Jobless again and this would keep me in my office so she thinks I'm looking for another job.....

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
A) is there not a copy of the old forum out there to go look into

If A or B works and you need help i will volunteer. Jobless again and this would keep me in my office so she thinks I'm looking for another job.....
Use the old forum - Over the last year I went through all the stickies and fixed them to point to the right places. Patted myself on the back for a job well done.

Sometime between then and the switchover to the new platform, it did it again. So the older newly corrupted data was transferred into the this forum.

I tried to use the old forum as a basis to repair the links when I found out VB is the gift that keeps on giving us heartache. Anyway, that's water over the dam now.

So the mountain got steeper and rockier. Some of the stickies are from 20 or so years ago as the FAQs evolved over the years and some external links are now invalid. Forum and Google searching is slow and time consuming.

If you look at any Stickie/FAQ and see the the word "Verified" at the end, it is a good link. That doesn't mean any following links are good, just the basic pointer. As an example, in the Starcraft section there are links to member projects. The link to the project thread is good, but many of the following links to individual projects are broken.

If you run across a broken link and know where the correct information is, please let us know. PM a Mod, use the Report (Flag) button or post in this thread. To contact a Mod, use the Members button on top of all pages and look at the mistakenly named Staff Members column and click a Mod name, then use the Start Conversation button to send a PM.

Any help is greatly appreciated and welcome.

Joe, thanks for the offer. Keep a job search tab open to switch to quickly open when the Admiral is around. Your priority is getting a job. Good luck!

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
Joe, thanks for the offer. Keep a job search tab open to switch to quickly open when the Admiral is around. Your priority is getting a job. Good luck!
yeah, three screens so i'm good at that but the wife really doesn't want me to find a job just yet as she is enjoying having her 'man servant' (she uses a word that starts with b) around now that she is home based and we have two new kids (the puppies). If I get a big boy job like I had I'll go otherwise I'll take a basic job (like the two I've quit in the last year) after her 50th in late Jan.

I'll try google - forum searches are never good. I also looked a a bunch of Don's reply posts but he either posted the actual pdf or just referenced the adults section not linking it.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
Question, how would I know if the thread that was pointed to in the Adults only area was the 'official' one.

I'm about done with my table, only a couple small projects to do prior to spring so will be researching for the sterndrive replacement.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Question, how would I know if the thread that was pointed to in the Adults only area was the 'official' one.

When clicking on one of the bad links, it's usually obvious that the link description and linked thread have nothing to do with each other.

Thanks for working on this... Been a while since I checked in.. Just noticed that the "Use of muffs to winterize" sticky on the Volvo forum is dead but exists on the mercruiser forum. Can someone link to this on the volvo forum?
Use of muffs to winterize | Boating Forum - iboats Boating Forums

Thanks, further. Got it fixed.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
right, so doing a search here or on google returns many choices. Which one is the 'real' one? I'm probably not asking the question right, remember - i'm not a computer guy.....

further

Lieutenant Junior Grade
When clicking on one of the bad links, it's usually obvious that the link description and linked thread have nothing to do with each other.

Thanks, further. Got it fixed.
Found another one... this should be linked to the Volvo Penta Specific Information on the Adults Only and Must Have Technical Information links. The current link for the volvo penta information takes you to a thread about smart tabs. It should be directed to
VP. | Boating Forum - iboats Boating Forums - this appears to be located in the mercruiser forum

And another - "How to: Winterize your engine and drive" is located here HOW TO: Winterize your engine and drive | Boating Forum - iboats Boating Forums
currently the VP info link is dead. I believe this one is also located in the mercruiser forum possibly/likely with others that are missing and/or dead.

Last edited: