Missing photos on a 2011 post

Eck

Recruit
I am getting ready to start work on a 1986 Four Winns Horizon 160. I have been reading a very informative old thread titled “ 87 Four Winns 210 Horizon Resto”. However, most of the pictures associated with this thread are no longer available. Is there anyway to see these old photos?

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Sorry, but just what it says. When picture are linked from a photo hosting site, this is what can happen. A lot Photobucket pics are blurred or have their logo smeared over the pic.

1604472495539.png

chevymaher

Commander
If your just looking to see what is under the deck my boat is about the same as yours. I read that thread when I was doing mine.

Eck

Recruit
If your just looking to see what is under the deck my boat is about the same as yours. I read that thread when I was doing mine.

Chevymaher - I’ve looked at your site now and it will be very helpful. Not sure that I am up to or able to do as much work as you did. My question now is how did you take all of the measurements of the wood (deck, stringers, etc.) so that you would know what to put back in? It seems as though everything was destroyed taking it out. ( Especially the stringers.)

I am the original owner of my 1986 16’ Horizon. It has always been stored inside for the winter. My deck is in great shape. The worst areas are the boards surrounding the ski locker and fuel tank. The top two inches of these boards were not glassed at the factory. The foam is dry in every location that I’ve checked except for under the ski locker floor. Bummer! I have not taken the fuel tank out yet. There is no way I will be able to take out the engine to work on mine. I don’t have that equipment. Right now I am thinking of taking out the floor from the ski locker back and see if there is a way to “patch” this. I know that is not ideal. Not sure about taking ski locker floor out or not, even though I know it is wet underneath.

chevymaher

Commander
Yours is showing same as mine was in the same places then. Unfortunately the sides of the skii locker and tank are the stringers. Mine the foam was all dry as well. And my deck was solid to.

Now the bad news. Any repairs are going to involve doing what I did. There is no way to patch these things. I had no way to do any of this stuff like pull the motor either. You got to make due tho.

I made all measurements from the transom forward and from a centerline. Make millions of measurements. Trust me you will miss some.

You are in the denial portion of the program. You need to decide if your going to just let nature run its course or actually fix it. There is no patching. Once the rot is in there it is everywhere.

It lasted you this long. If you do fix it after all that work you wont let it get wet again. It will last you as long as you care to have. It has been a good reliable boat to you. And it can be again.

I added extra bracing mine is heavier than it should be it is a battleship now. But no creaks that deck is like concrete now.

todhunter

Canoeist
Chevymaher - I’ve looked at your site now and it will be very helpful. Not sure that I am up to or able to do as much work as you did. My question now is how did you take all of the measurements of the wood (deck, stringers, etc.) so that you would know what to put back in? It seems as though everything was destroyed taking it out. ( Especially the stringers.)

I am the original owner of my 1986 16’ Horizon. It has always been stored inside for the winter. My deck is in great shape. The worst areas are the boards surrounding the ski locker and fuel tank. The top two inches of these boards were not glassed at the factory. The foam is dry in every location that I’ve checked except for under the ski locker floor. Bummer! I have not taken the fuel tank out yet. There is no way I will be able to take out the engine to work on mine. I don’t have that equipment. Right now I am thinking of taking out the floor from the ski locker back and see if there is a way to “patch” this. I know that is not ideal. Not sure about taking ski locker floor out or not, even though I know it is wet underneath.
Go look at my thread (1987 PowerPlay) - I just started measuring last night. I've left as much of the rotten wood in as I can until I take measurements. For the wood that was too rotten and just crumbled out, I've pulled strings where the tops of the stringers would be and am pulling measurements from those.

If your boat is anything like mine, under the ski locker floor is going to have water. The manufacturer of my boat did not glass the under-side of any of the decking, so the bottom of the ski locker floor was soaked and rotten.

I had no idea how I was going to get the engine out of mine either, but I ended up finding a co-worker with a back-hoe and he helped me pull the engine out. As @chevymaher said, you'll have to just make do...where there's a will, there's a way. He's also correct - you're in the denial phase. I was there just a few weeks ago, but I decided to bare down and just press forward. I don't have a plan for everything that needs to be done, but I'm just looking at the task right in front of me and thinking about what the next step might be. Right now my task is to sketch dimensions for the structure before tearing any more stringers or bulkheads out, since I now have all the decking up.

Fun Times

Staff member
I am getting ready to start work on a 1986 Four Winns Horizon 160. I have been reading a very informative old thread titled “ 87 Four Winns 210 Horizon Resto”. However, most of the pictures associated with this thread are no longer available. Is there anyway to see these old photos?
There's one trick that's usually sort of helpful to at least see the photos/images still even if they are removed from sight of a web_site forum such as iboats for example or even places like eBay if needed.

Since you know the title of the thread or maybe you happen to even be looking for one particular photo in a single post, you could try coping a particular thread title or just a "paragraph" from that 1 post where the photo once was and past your copy into an online search for how you'd normally just google things, find the worded info you know you're looking for then click on images...Generally speaking the photos are still seen there online but if you click on the photo or go to website the image came from it will lead you to an empty image within the same info you copied and searched helping to ensure you're seeing what should still be there had photo_bucket not get so greedy $$$ wise :(.

Here's should be an example or 2 photo/s from the thread titled 87 Four Winns 210 Horizon Resto”....I saw a bunch....Don't know if this/my direct link I searched will show you the same but maybe it will to save you time from searching, https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=87+Four+Winns+210+Horizon+Resto”.&form=HDRSC2&first=1&scenario=ImageHoverTitle

Image result for 87 Four Winns 210 Horizon Resto”.
Image result for 87 Four Winns 210 Horizon Resto”.

Hope this helps some, good luck.:)

Last edited: