Use of muffs to winterize

Status
Not open for further replies.

sea wolf

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I seem to have gotten into a bit of a disagreement with another poster on whether or not it is a good idea to use muffs when winterizing an i/o engine. I advised another member in the Boats Topics forum not to do it. I think it's a bad idea because if it's not done correctly a cracked block can be the result. I know how to do it, but I'd rather use the tried & true method. Should I have explained the procedure to the other member & let him decide for himself? What do you guys think?

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Re: Use of muffs to winterize

If you use muffs to introduce antifreeze into the block you might not get all the water out of the block.Unless you drain it completly before you muff it.
I NEVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! use muffs to winterize.
Some people use them but the block is way to expensive and hard to change when it cracks. Jerry

chiefalen

Captain

I seen where people use a 5 gallon jug on the transom feeding the muffs. Bad idea.

Others that fill a big tub and dip the drive in it and suck it up that way and it returns to the same tub. Little better probably works better.But only after draining.

I drain the motor and the manifold, and pour anti-freeze down the hoses, all of them. Plugs left out.

Leave the drive fully down.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

If you use muffs to introduce antifreeze into the block you might not get all the water out of the block.Unless you drain it completly before you muff it.
I NEVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! use muffs to winterize.
Some people use them but the block is way to expensive and hard to change when it cracks. Jerry

I agree 100%

Using muffs works ok on boats with a closed cooling system where you only have to do the manifolds and heat exchanger, but not a raw water cooled system that only gets a portion of the water from the muffs going to the block and depending on rather the thermostat is fully open or not. And you can bet it won't be fully open on muffs.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner

I actually tried this the first time I did mine and then checked the block drains, what came out looked like dirty water. So I drained again and just back fill with -100 AF. I do it that way every year and I think it's the best way. No worries about trapped water, no air in the engine to reduce corrosion, and removing the drain plugs each year makes it less likely that one will be frozen in place one year.

scipper77

Commander

OK, just my 2 cents but I like to do it the traditional way for 2 reasons.
1) I like to physically get into the engine to remove hoses and such. this is a good opportunity to find problems like swelling hoses or oil leaks or corroded wires.

2) There is a lot of rusty crud in the risers/manifolds that will block the drain passages. I like to git in there with a small screwdriver and knock that stuff out. I'm not sure if the crud i remove helps or if it is just the tip of the icegurg of whats in there but I like removing this garbage.

I'm sure that the earmuff flush method is just a case of work smarter/not harder. Or to use a different cliche let the tools do the work. However this technique is not for me.

Bondo

Staff member

I'm sure that the earmuff flush method is just a case of work smarter/not harder.

Ayuh,...

I see it as the, "I'm just too danm Lazy to do it Right" method.....

Usually followed in the spring by the "Hey I winterized it the easy way,+ now my Block is cracked" posts....

A Properly,+ Completely Drained boat will Never have Freeze Damage,.... Period...

Whine,+ Moan all you want,.. But,... Air can Not,+ will Not Freeze.....

xxxflhrci

Chief Petty Officer

I'm the other poster....I do drain the block before I muff the antifreeze in.....Said that in the original thread.....I can't see how a block is any more likely to get frozen and busted using this method to introduce the antifreeze vs. pouring it in when you drain the block in either case.

gregstukey

Seaman

We use muffs on all our boats to winterize (after draining of course) and have never had a cracked block.

-Greg

Shaun78

Petty Officer 1st Class

I use muffs with a 5 gallon jug of antifreeze but I remove the thermostat and drain the block,manifolds etc. (I remove the 5 blue plugs and wire out the holes if there is any blockage) then i run on the muffs and sometimes i remove thermostat housing again and pour add'l antifreeze doen there.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Since this is something that comes up EVERY winter, I'll make it a sticky during winterizing season.

Status
Not open for further replies.